please tell me he's safe ff!!!

laudymama

Please tell me that the first ride ds takes as a ff is not going to involve an accident! I just have all these visions and horrible thoughts like the pic I just took of him in his new seat will be the last one, etc. I know it's crazy but I can't be the only one here who's had these thoughts, right?? Ugh. :( He's 41 in and 38.5 lbs at 3 yrs 11 mo and right at 1.5 in from the top of the xtsl. He still has room in the head wise in grandma's car but is so close to the weight limit we're obviously not going to buy one for our car and she needs a seat for him in hers anyway. We're doing the right thing, right? He's safe? I was even looking up growth charts and head size, etc. He is right on with a 5 yr old according to the head size charts I found in relation to percentage of your overall size. I just need reassurance:eek: It doesn't help that we're taking a road trip for Thanksgiving either :(

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have the exact same anxiety about DS riding FF. 3 year olds are VERY safe in properly installed, properly used, tethered seats.

Just repeat that over and over in your head. That's what I'm doing as I prepare to install DS' ProSport in DH's car as 3.5 rapidly approaches.

tiggercat

You're exactly where I was a month ago, same size and age kiddo, too! It will get better. It doesn't look so scary now to see him FF, though it is noisier in the van, lol.
At 4yo and outgrowing one of the biggest seats on the market RF, he is perfectly safe turning FF.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

amyd

On yes, he's just fine:). I had to turn my monster-sized 2 yo this past summer. Now that one's scary, let me tell you. I'm slowly getting used to it and he's 2.5 now so I'm starting to feel a bit better about it. Still don't like it and he's a backseat driver to boot!

tiggercat

On yes, he's just fine:). I had to turn my monster-sized 2 yo this past summer. Now that one's scary, let me tell you. I'm slowly getting used to it and he's 2.5 now so I'm starting to feel a bit better about it. Still don't like it and he's a backseat driver to boot!

Doesn't that drive you crazy? Sam even insists on sitting on the passenger side capt chair, so he can "see what you are doing, mum". :eek:

amyd

Doesn't that drive you crazy? Sam even insists on sitting on the passenger side capt chair, so he can "see what you are doing, mum". :eek:

Yes! He asks me every friggin time what a green light means and then insists that it means stop...LOL. Asks where we're going, what I'm doing when I so much as touch the gear shift, etc. And thinks he has total authority over the radio too...it better be Thomas the Tank Engine songs, not CBC. And if I sing, he yells at me to stop.

katymyers

Hunter is a horrid back seat driver, him being ff is twice the nightmare Levi was at first. He tells me to go faster, slow down, to stop, to go, where he want me to turn, and so on.

tiggercat

Yes! He asks me every friggin time what a green light means and then insists that it means stop...LOL. Asks where we're going, what I'm doing when I so much as touch the gear shift, etc. And thinks he has total authority over the radio too...it better be Thomas the Tank Engine songs, not CBC. And if I sing, he yells at me to stop.

I am so glad it's not just me/my kid! He always expects me to go when the light turns green even if there are cars in my way, i swear i've explained that i can't move until there is space 6 billion times... Though Sam's musical tastes include Katy Perry and Icona Pop, hehe.

babyherder

I have my four year old nanny girl rf now after ff for a few weeks. At least the backseat driving is quieter this way! Yesterday she told me to stop for "a pretend red light"

Brianna

I wouldn't bat an eye at a child one month short of their 4th birthday FF. J turned FF with me on his 3rd birthday because he outgrew his EFTA RF by height. Around a month later he hit 40 pounds and I wasn't about to buy a radian for him. I felt perfectly fine about him FF buckled in properly to a properly installed seat.

MotoMommaNH

And if I sing, he yells at me to stop.

I'm glad this isn't just my DS!! He screams "No, don't sing songs Mama!!!" LOL

I also have a big one who turned at 2.5. I was such a wreck for like two months and tried to figure out 100 ways from Sunday how I could afford a Foonf. LOL. He's over 3 now so I feel a little better.

Kobain's Mommy

I was that way when DS was teatering around 40lbs just before his 3rd birthday. I am glad I flipped him because the accident we were in he had glass from the window all around him. If he had been rfing it would have been all on or in him.

cookie123

I think what ever age you ff, there's a period of adjustment! I felt the same way when Matthew ff'd at 3.5 He kept monitoring my speed for a while there. Was that ever annoying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC