Question Winter coats and car seat

LuBaby16

I now big puffy winter coats are not safe in car seats, but winter is coming up and I will need to keep my 2 year old one warm in a climate that gets very cold. Which winter coats do you suggest?

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Anything fleece. Old Navy and Gap have nice warm heavier weight fleece. Just make sure its not insulated with anything.

Also there's The Car Seat Poncho.

LuBaby16

How do you feel about the L.L. Bean puff n' stuff? Or the Land's End Boys Down Jacket? I'm worried just fleece won't be warm enough for northern Ohio lake effect cold.

MotoMommaNH

Not sure what they have in em but typically down filled is the way you want to go because you can tighten down the harness on it. Just not something super puffy.
Also, my now 3 year old did fleece in the car all last winter in NH (nor'Easter anyone? :)) and we just took a heavier coat with us to put on his lap and then he could put it on when we got there. The car was usually pretty warm for most of the ride anyways.

featherhead

How do you feel about the L.L. Bean puff n' stuff? Or the Land's End Boys Down Jacket? I'm worried just fleece won't be warm enough for northern Ohio lake effect cold.

I live in southern Manitoba, where temps dip down to -30 or -40 C during winter with extreme windchills. My girls wear fleece in the vehicle. We layer clothing underneath. Usually a t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, hoody or sweater, and then the fleece. On the super cold days they will bring their parkas in the car and put them on once we get to our destination. My 6 year old is allergic to cold, and so far this has been sufficient. Of course they have nice warm hats, mittens, and boots as well. Sometimes we put tights or leggings under their pants.

LuBaby16

I live in southern Manitoba, where temps dip down to -30 or -40 C during winter with extreme windchills. My girls wear fleece in the vehicle. We layer clothing underneath. Usually a t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, hoody or sweater, and then the fleece. On the super cold days they will bring their parkas in the car and put them on once we get to our destination. My 6 year old is allergic to cold, and so far this has been sufficient. Of course they have nice warm hats, mittens, and boots as well. Sometimes we put tights or leggings under their pants.

We lived in Alaska the last 3 years and wore only fleece jackets most of the time. Norther Ohio winter, because of the dampness, is actually colder than the very low temps of Alaska. That's why I'm worried about using fleece.

LuBaby16

Not sure what they have in em but typically down filled is the way you want to go because you can tighten down the harness on it. Just not something super puffy.
Also, my now 3 year old did fleece in the car all last winter in NH (nor'Easter anyone? :)) and we just took a heavier coat with us to put on his lap and then he could put it on when we got there. The car was usually pretty warm for most of the ride anyways.

I'll have to check that coat out then! Thank you for your help. The Land's End one is very slim fitting. Not puffy.

featherhead

We lived in Alaska the last 3 years and wore only fleece jackets most of the time. Norther Ohio winter, because of the dampness, is actually colder than the very low temps of Alaska. That's why I'm worried about using fleece.

Trust me, Manitoba is very damp also.

gigi

I don't like fleece personally. The jackets I listed were FAR easier to maneuver in the carseat and require zero loosening of the straps.

aries416

I'm in Iowa and grew up in Chicago. My kids wear fleece coats in the car and for errands. They have heavier coats for outdoor play or for school recess. They've never complained and for the 5 minutes we're walking into a store or back to the car, a little cold will not hurt them (none of mine are allergic to the cold!).

MotoMommaNH

I don't like fleece personally. The jackets I listed were FAR easier to maneuver in the carseat and require zero loosening of the straps.

Only thing is both those jackets are like $80+ which is just not on the budget for many, especially a 2yo that will only get a season out of it (unless you happen to find one on EBay that's used etc. ) I haven't been able to locate one yet for G.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't seen one of these in person yet, but I like the idea:

http://www.cozywoggle.com

I have seen one in person - the owner shipped me a sample last year to look at - and I was impressed. It's probably not warm enough for the coldest of the cold days playing outside in frigid Canada or elsewhere (but she's got a warmer version in the planning stages), but it's pretty easy to use. I was pleased with the quality of the construction and my then-2 year old kept telling me it was cozy and she didn't want to take it off. The cut was nice, and it looked good.

biddyk8

Random question.

are snow pants ok to leave on in the car or are they too bulky around the crotch buckle? I have no problem skipping the coat in the car as it only takes 5 seconds to get it on before getting out, but snow pants take alot longer! Does the same rule apply if I dont need to adjust her harness for them its fine to wear?

keri1292

THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for an affordable jacket in bright colors for Mitchell. Do you know how the sizing runs? Mitch is just now outgrowing his 2Ts and heading into the 3T's.

Random question.

are snow pants ok to leave on in the car or are they too bulky around the crotch buckle? I have no problem skipping the coat in the car as it only takes 5 seconds to get it on before getting out, but snow pants take alot longer! Does the same rule apply if I dont need to adjust her harness for them its fine to wear?

I let my kids wear snow pants without the jacket when I picked them up from school which is just on the other side of the block. I never had to adjust the harness because the crotch strap was roomy in the Frontier. I'd try the seat with and without the pants. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC