Question Answer to this sucky situation?

Sunshine112

DD is in preschool 2 mornings a week in our hometown. I've always been at home with her so there has never been any transporting problems, but a good friend of mine is doing very well in real estate in the big city about 50 miles from here and wants to hire me to come help him do a lot of his office type work. I will work from home quite a bit scheduling and doing comps, but will need to be in office about twice a week.

The only two days I can really go there are the two days DD is in preschool. It works out great since my grandma is giddy to be able to watch her until my mom gets home to pick her up.
The problem? My Gma has really bad arthritis in her hands and fingers and there is NO way she can get DD out of any of the carseats we have :(. I'm going to have to get DD a HBB for her car, I'm about positive there's no way around it.

DD is just about to turn 4 (I know she should be harnesses, she is in every other vehicle, and still RF in mine at her request) but I know she will sit properly in a booster in Gma's car after school. It will be 2 days a week for a pick up and then to Gma's house. Her house is about a mile and a half (tops) from the school in our tiny little town. I know accidents can happen in that little trip, but I just need to know what booster to get.

HB turbo is what I'm thinking since it fits smaller kids pretty well. Is this right or something else?

ADS

newyorkDOC

Can your gma do up an RSTV?

Or what about one of the kiddy shields?

The TB and x-fix fit small kids. And FWIW my DD went into a booster on vacation at 4y3m. So no stone throwing from me!

Mary_Ann

I also had to put dd in a booster in mil's car at 4, for several reasons. I bought a parkway sg because of the secur gard clip. I think it helps young kids to sit still and somehow reminds them of a 5pt harness.
Hth!

jordansmom

Just another thought since it sounds like you really don't want to use a booster...can your daughter buckle/unbuckle any of her seats? I only glance at DS1 when we get into the car. ..his straps stay at the same tightness, he wiggles in, buckles, and only sometimes do I have to say higher or lower on the chest clip.

YinzerMama

I was also gonna ask if your daughter can. My girls have been self buckling/unbuckling a least since our youngest was born, which was when they turned 3. They have always been in britax seats which IMO have buckles of just the right level of difficulty

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

how much does your dd weigh?
I'm wondering if the pricey but worth it in these cases kiddy seat with the pallas/shield would work for her until she's old enough for a booster.
(can I again just mourn the loss of those wonderful graco buckles from the first generation nautilus and the other seats they then put them on for awhile... I loved loved loved with big sparkling hearts those buckles)

Sunshine112

She can't unbuckle or buckle herself despite her best efforts lol. She can in our Nautilus with the old buckle, but go figure that one is across the country in BF's car :(. He works on wind turbines and is FAR from home for a few months :(.
The other plethora of seats we have, she can't unbuckle.

morlando27

(can I again just mourn the loss of those wonderful graco buckles from the first generation nautilus and the other seats they then put them on for awhile... I loved loved loved with big sparkling hearts those buckles)

I just received a new buckle from Graco for my son's Nautilus and I think it's as easy to operate as the 1st generation GN. :dance:

Sunshine112

I just received a new buckle from Graco for my son's Nautilus and I think it's as easy to operate as the 1st generation GN. :dance:

Really? Maybe i will call and order one! She could use her Nauti from my mons car in booster mode until I got it?

The KWP would be another good choice, and one I didn't even think of. I'm not sure i can convince myself to spend the $ on it though for such a minimally used seat. Does it make a good booster after?

I think I at least feel a tiny bit better about putting her in a booster if I have to. I know she will sit still in it for the whole 2 minutes at least.

ETA: she weighs 36 lbs

creideamh

I'd just booster her, probably in a Vivo or a TB w/ SS to make myself feel better. I plan to booster-train DD starting at 4 though, so maybe my view is skewed. ;) The KWP usually makes a good booster, but the shield is only up to 40lb and the height limit that goes along with it is just as important. There's also all the controversy surrounding them, and I didn't feel it was much easier unlatching it when it's tight enough over a harness, personally.
So yeah, I'd just do a good fitting booster with some SIP for peace of mind and call it good if you think she can sit properly.

Sunshine112

I'd just booster her, probably in a Vivo or a TB w/ SS to make myself feel better. I plan to booster-train DD starting at 4 though, so maybe my view is skewed. ;) The KWP usually makes a good booster, but the shield is only up to 40lb and the height limit that goes along with it is just as important. There's also all the controversy surrounding them, and I didn't feel it was much easier unlatching it when it's tight enough over a harness, personally.
So yeah, I'd just do a good fitting booster with some SIP for peace of mind and call it good if you think she can sit properly.

Awesome. That definitely makes me feel better. I have a feeling her dad is going to booster her much earlier than I would or want him to so this is maybe a blessing in disguise. She can booster train with people I trust 100% and myself instead of her dad just throwing her in one.

EmmaGrace'sMom

What about one of those tools to help unbuckle...I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. But it could be used to press the button with the palm of your hand. Someone here knows what I'm talking about!

D&L's-mommy

I love the vivo and tb for smaller kids. plus, they're not too heavy in the event that your gma needs to move the seat out of her vehicle. just make sure dd and gma know they need to be buckled when unoccupied

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The Buckle Bopper is available on Amazon for $16.99 with Prime shipping. It's perfect for this situation.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I bet either your daughter or your mom should be able to unbuckle the seat with the buckle bopper.

I would not be comfortable with a booster in this situation. If I couldn't come up with a safe transportation option (and I don't think that's the case; I really think the buckle bopper should be just the trick) I'd have to turn down the job opportunity.

Kat_Momof3

for only 4 more pounds unless she gains weight SUPER slow, I just don't think the money would be worth the KWP... though it DOES make a nice booster after.

I would get a buckle bopper. You know, it would probably even fit right in one of the armrest cubbies of the nautilus!

vangelder03

I also had to put dd in a booster in mil's car at 4, for several reasons. I bought a parkway sg because of the secur gard clip. I think it helps young kids to sit still and somehow reminds them of a 5pt harness.
Hth!
With a min 40 lb weight limit most 4 yr olds can't use the parkway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC