Mini travelmate, luggage cart, or other for airplane?

csmitchell

Hi, first post but have enjoyed reading and learning over the past two years.

Next month I will be flying by myself with my 2-year-old. 5 hour flight, 2 hour layover, 6.5 hour flight. I had planned on buying an Evenflo Tribute to use on the plane, and getting it through the airport by strapping it to this luggage cart: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B9V1R2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RJ0ZN8NPFORE&coliid=I1A10P7QB5I9M1"]Amazon.com: Samsonite Luggage Compact Folding Cart, Black, One Size: Clothing[/ame]

Then I came across the Mini Travelmate. It doesn't have much of a base piece, only the wheels and the handle. I read somewhere that you don't have to detach the Mini Travelmate when you strap it into the airplane seat. Does anyone have any experience with the Mini Travelmate? Would that be more convenient than a generic luggage cart? I do admit I am baffled by where I am going to put my squirrely kid while I attempt to unstrap the seat from the cart and get it installed, etc, by myself.

Thanks for any advice!

ADS

Eclipsepearl

Save your money and just get a luggage cart. Not only is cost a factor but what will you do with it later on? I can use my luggage cart for moving, taking science projects to school, hauling holiday junk to parties, etc. Seriously, it's a useful thing to just have.

I have to admit, I'm not thrilled with that luggage cart because of the plastic base. I had one with a plastic base that picked an awkward moment to do so. Luckily, it was just a bag I had to carry, not a car seat plus a child. If it's metal under, perhaps you're okay. Check.

The detach business is a non-issue. Installing the car seat will take only one nanosecond longer if you use this gizmo. I don't see a huge advantage to not removing it. Mine just slipped off and then I got down to business installing it without any cart in the way.

Be sure to stow is on the FLOOR or in a closet NOT in an overhead bin. Items like this are banned in overhead bins on many airlines. They have come flying out and caused injuries.

Here's the trick to installing with a kid in tow, or in my case, three children who are close in age and all very active; put them in the row in front. Usually I tried to pre-board, to give myself more time. Chances are, that row won't be taken, and if it is, people are reasonable and will wait two minutes while you finish up.

With just one child, I could even put him in my seat while I installed his seat. I don't remember this as ever being a real problem and honestly, not a reason to pay for some trinket that costs three times the price as a will-use-again luggage cart!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC