Question Foonf RF in middle seat of 2006 Focus?

U

Unregistered

I'm looking into a convertible car seat and have a chance to get a Foonf for well below list price, putting it in our price range. I'm kind of sold on the look and safety ratings and I'm hoping that if we get a seat that allows our 9-month old to see out the rear windshield she'll stay happy in the car for longer. However, I'm a bit concerned about it blocking the windshield for me if we put it in the middle seat of our 2006 Focus. Any thoughts?

If it would block the windshield, I'm assuming it would be safer to get a shorter seat and place it in the middle than put the Foonf on the outside? I'm really confused as to how those options would compare. Thanks so much for any help!

ADS

1mommy

Remember that even if it blocks your windshield you still have your side mirrors to use, I once drove my husband work truck and they had the back completely blocked off, it took a little getting used to but I did. If you feel that your driving would be at risk I would move the foonf outboard without hesitation because rear facing still provides a lot of side impact protection in an accident. Regarding if its safer to buy another one with shorter shell, I would say that's very subjective and its hard to provide you an exact answer. The answer might depend on how long you want to rearface your daughter and how tall she is. Will the foonf keep her happier with rear facing therefore placing less stress on the driver, therefore less likely to get in an accident? I would say its all a matter of your opinion on what you feel is best for your family, my son is behind the passenger side and has been since birth simply because that's where we got the best install, but you might not feel the same way. Anyway you choose remember that rearfacing is 500% safer then forward facing, and you're doing a good job keeping your LO safe.

U

Unregistered

Well, I honestly don't know how she'll put up with extended RF. We hope to, for sure! I drive very heavily with my main rear mirror and was very uncomfortable when I've had to drive moving trucks and such--I'm sure I could adjust, but it would be difficult. Thanks for your thoughts!

MotoMommaNH

Well, I honestly don't know how she'll put up with extended RF. We hope to, for sure! I drive very heavily with my main rear mirror and was very uncomfortable when I've had to drive moving trucks and such--I'm sure I could adjust, but it would be difficult. Thanks for your thoughts!

Just remember they get to a fussy stage when they don't want to be in a car seat at all (12-18 months for my guy) and you just need to be consistent and stay with it. It may seem like flipping them forward solves it because they'll be curious with the change but it dies off after a while and they go back to fussy, LOL. You just have to remember that you are the parent and know what's best for her!

featherhead

Just remember they get to a fussy stage when they don't want to be in a car seat at all (12-18 months for my guy) and you just need to be consistent and stay with it. It may seem like flipping them forward solves it because they'll be curious with the change but it dies off after a while and they go back to fussy, LOL. You just have to remember that you are the parent and know what's best for her!

:yeahthat: And also, you are in charge of her safety. I'm sure you won't let her play with sharp knives just because she throws a tantrum. Same goes for rear-facing. Unless there is a medical condition, like extreme carsickness from rear-facing, you are the parent and decide how long your child will stay rear-facing.

CMeMeC

Unregistered said:

My daughter preferred it because she thought it was more comfortable. She didn't like her legs unsupported or her head falling forward when she fell asleep. The whole squished legs thing and not being able to see is more about the parents preference than the kids. Kids are flexible and don't really care about the view. To answer your original question, I would be fine using a seat outboard if that's where it fits best.

1mommy

Try the seat outboard and see how it goes. Also I'll note that my lil guy who is 18 months pitches a fit whenever I strap him into his car seat, but after a minute he calms down and is perfectly happy. He just hates being restrained in any way shape or fashion, which is very common for kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC