Question European routing

thekatie

Are there any other US seats, besides the CCO, that allows European routing with a seatbelt install?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've heard rumors it's allowed on the SR35 but they're just that- rumors. I have yet to see an official statement or manual change.

The Dorel Designer clones do. (I'm not sure if the Comfy Carry, which is being phased in as the Designer etc. are being kind of phased out in many stores, does or not.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
And yet they don't have that info on the US website (that I've seen) or state in US manuals. So I'm not taking that as fact until they do... Graco usually is quite good about mentioning changes on their blog.

katymyers

And yet they don't have that info on the US website (that I've seen) or state in US manuals. So I'm not taking that as fact until they do... Graco usually is quite good about mentioning changes on their blog.

I had been told by a CS rep during a phone call to Graco. I was told it's an identical shell to their European version of the seat. I never questioned it because I'd seen the same thing on the Car Seat Lady's website, not to mention it works really well I've literally been tempted to forgo the base entirely with that seat because that install is so secure.

thekatie

Sideline question - in Europe, is European routing only for infant seats? Or convertible seats too?

Thanks everyone. I've just been wondering, and then someone asked when they saw a picture of my CCO. It's interesting the different statements about the SnugRide; the lady asking was in Canada and said her friend had an infant seat she installed that way.

YinzerMama

What is the benefit to it? Does it prevent rotation at the top in any way? I'd hate to have to extract a sleeping kid from that.

creideamh

Convertible seats aren't too common in Europe (as common as here*), but yes it can be found on RF seats above infant seats. The Joie Stages is an ERF seat that requires Euro routing to install. It helps prevent downward rotation.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I had been told by a CS rep during a phone call to Graco. I was told it's an identical shell to their European version of the seat. I never questioned it because I'd seen the same thing on the Car Seat Lady's website, not to mention it works really well I've literally been tempted to forgo the base entirely with that seat because that install is so secure.

Graco's reps have been known to say all kinds of things they aren't supposed to. :/ Without an official statement I'm just not ok doing it.

Which is sad, because I usually get super-easy installs with Euro routing.

The only seat I know of that allows it in Canada is the Designer (and any clones you had up there.) Which is no longer around since 2012 compliance.

thekatie

I find it nearly impossible to get a proper install using european routing with my cco, is there a trick to it?

I follow the steps in the manual, then when I'm tightening the seatbelt I stand behind the CCO and use my hips to hold the seat in place, pull the lap portion of the belt tight with my right hand and pull slack out of the shoulder part (to feed the slack back into the whatever) with my left. I don't know if it would happen in every vehicle or position, but behind the passenger seat in my '08 RX350 having the seatbelt out enough to do the European routing automatically means it's out enough to lock.

I'd hate to have to extract a sleeping kid from that.

I was so scared of the same thing, but I don't have any problems. I also don't have issues putting J2 in, although he usually climbs in himself.

christineka

Maxi Cosi Mico. Not sure about the prezi. The Dorel Designer 22. The First Years via that can be installed baseless. (Early version and the latest version cannot.) Maybe the combi shuttle? I don't remember...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
having the seatbelt out enough to do the European routing automatically means it's out enough to lock.

I suspect this is part of why it's not a common thing in North America. In Europe, the seat belts generally don't lock at the retractor, so you don't have that problem.

_juune

Sideline question - in Europe, is European routing only for infant seats? Or convertible seats too?
Yes, for any rearward facing Euro seat there will be some means to prevent downward rotation -- either "Euro routing" on all infant seats [all baseless installs and some installs with the base when the base has no support leg] and common belted convertibles ["non-Swedish", for the lack of a better name for them, all install kinda like this, with the shoulder belt around them], or a support leg, or on a few seats it's bracing [on the front seat or the dashboard], and there are two seats that have a mandatory Australian tether when RF. My guess would be that it's not possible to pass the Euro certification testing without some means to prevent the downward rotation.
Btw, the "common convertibles", all except Joie Stages, are RF to 13kg only; and I wouldn't actually say that they are not popular, it's just that they mostly get quite little RF use, because, well, the shoulder belt is in the way and it's hard to get the kid in and out. I had an older, belted Concord Ultimax convertible seat, and could only tolerate it for about 2 months. Lately with the new ISize regulation coming there have been quite many isofix convertibles released, most with support legs, some with an Australian tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC