looking for option for an 11 yr old

pbandjenny

CPS Technician
I have a friend with an 11 yr old child w/ multiple disabilities. She was born missing part of her brain. She is 70 lbs and about 5 feet tall. She had spinal surgery in May which has increased her height and now her mom says that her shoulder is rubbing the plastic piece where you thread the car's seat belt. She is in a Frontier and harnessed but needing something bigger. Mom feels that she needs to stay harnessed due to seizures and not having enough support to sit for long periods of time in the car.

What would you suggest?

ADS

AustinMusic

...her mom says that her shoulder is rubbing the plastic piece where you thread the car's seat belt.

I think the first question to ask is whether the headrest of the Frontier is in the correct position. If the belt positioning guides are rubbing against the child’s shoulders it could need moving up one notch/click. I have no experience of using the Frontier however many here on the forum do and may be able to offer better advice.

If the seat is simply outgrown, then a special needs seat is probably the only solution if the child needs to remain harnessed (the Frontier has high harness slots versus many other seats). While there are many possible options, seats classified as special needs devices tend to be very expensive although insurance may cover the costs.

If the Frontier does prove unsuitable, the first option is another harnessed seat. These include:

Merritt Manufacturing

Roosevelt – Forward facing harnessed seat which caters for children from 35 to 115 pounds and up to 62” tall.

Snugseat

Traveller Plus – Very similar to the former Britax Husky/Regent. Forward facing, harnesses to 105lbs.

Columbia Medical

2000 Therapedic™ IPS Car Seat - Forward facing harnessed seat to 102lbs. Support and positioning accessories available.
2500 Therapedic™ IPS Car Seat – Similar to above but has an upper weight limit of 130lbs. Again, support and positioning accessories available.
2400 ‘Spirit’ APS Car Seat – Can be used for occupants between 25 and 130lbs and up to 66” tall.

The second option would be a booster seat, with an integrated or additional positioning harness for support:

Merritt Manufacturing

Churchill – Booster for children weighing up 175lbs. Again, various support accessories available.

Snugseat

Pilot – High back booster for children weighing up to 120lbs. I think this is based on the Sunshine kids Monterey booster, but I’m not completely sure.

Recaro Reha

Monza Reha Adaptive Car Seat – Booster with torso support harness for users up to 110lbs.

The third option would be a vest:

E-Z-On Products

E-Z-On Vests come in various models which are used frequently in special needs transport. We currently use an E-Z-On Vest and are very happy with it. They can be used for occupants up to 168lbs. We discovered it was possible to keep the vest secured to the seat, leaving the buckles open when it is not in use. This way when it is needed the person using it can sit down and simply put it on like a jacket. It also makes it easier to assist someone using the vest if they have trouble managing on their own.

There are plenty of experts here on the forum who are trained in special needs seating who can offer far better advice and knowledge but I hope this helps.

1mommy

No personal experience but I have heard that the evenflo sureride ($70-100) has slightly lower harness height on paper but it give the child a lot more growing room then the frontier when installed due to the angle of tailbone when a child sits in it. Now even that won't last her too much longer so she would still need to look at a special needs seat down the road, but if she needs time to save up money or research for z special needs seats, etc it might be a good option.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=254419

Keeyamah

No personal experience but I have heard that the evenflo sureride ($70-100) has slightly lower harness height on paper but it give the child a lot more growing room then the frontier when installed due to the angle of tailbone when a child sits in it. Now even that won't last her too much longer so she would still need to look at a special needs seat down the road, but if she needs time to save up money or research for z special needs seats, etc it might be a good option.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=254419

That was my first thought too, but the child is 70lbs already, and the Sureride only goes to 65 :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC