Help me feel better about 3 across....

lady_b

In April we traded our expedition in for a pathfinder and I've been banging my head ever since. Dh was set on waiting 2 more years for a 3rd baby but magically now he's open to start trying. Right now I have a ff and a rf symphony my ride 65. So as you can imagine there is no room. None. I'm already planning on getting 2 , maybe 3, new diono RXT with the tax return. But I have 2 rf and 1 ff. my rd right now is 19 months and 26lbs and almost too tall for his seat now. It'll make it to tax time I'm sure. But will 3 fit across in a 08 pathfinder? How will I get them all in and all buckled without climbing over a child?

ADS

butterflymama7

That's my concern, how to buckle the child in the middle. I just got a My Ride 65 and it fit RF next to my RF Radian thankfully so I've handled the space issue but I have no idea how to manage buckling all the kids in. Lol

BookMama

Senior Community Member
One of them will be in an infant seat, right, at least for a while? Buckle the kid in the middle before putting the infant seat in place. Maybe that will tide you over until the oldest can buckle/unbuckle. (I'm not clear on the age of your oldest.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
One of them will be in an infant seat, right, at least for a while? Buckle the kid in the middle before putting the infant seat in place. Maybe that will tide you over until the oldest can buckle/unbuckle. (I'm not clear on the age of your oldest.)

I prefer to have the infant seat in the middle in a three-across. Lift the bucket in first, then load the kid on the side.

I don't have experience with the Pathfinder to know if that would work, though.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I prefer to have the infant seat in the middle in a three-across. Lift the bucket in first, then load the kid on the side.

I don't have experience with the Pathfinder to know if that would work, though.

Oh right, that works, too. In fact, we did that in at least one of our vehicles (Ford Focus station wagon) when DD2 was a baby. Putting the RF seat between the FF seat and the high-back booster was the only way it would puzzle. I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder but I guess I was thinking that the best way for a 3-across would be RF-FF-RF.

Jessica61624

I don't know how big your back seat is but this worked for me. My back seat is 43in between the boosters. I'm sure and infant seat would fit.

IMAG5401_zps5a35dc6f.jpg

lady_b

My oldest is almost 5 as of right now. So but the time the baby got here shed prob be almost 6. I'm thinking of skipping the infant seat all together. I will be baby wearing most of the time in stores anyways since ill have the other 2 since I'm super anti car seats on shopping carts and then there is no room for them really in the basket of the cart.

So let say the next baby gets here Aug 2014 ill have almost 6 year old, a 2.5 year old and a NB. My last baby was 9.4 pounds when he was born

Still mad we traded in the expedition :(

aeormsby

If your oldest is in the middle can she buckle herself and you can reach back to tighten/check tightness from the front seat? I have no problem reaching over or behind in my Outlook but I'm 5'-10" and have long arms ;)

Personally I'd much rather deal with 3 across in an SUV with a bench than trying to figure out seats that allow you to access the back (and not have room for any groceries in the back).

The new Frontier seems to work pretty well in tight spots so I might try fitting that for your oldest with RF Myride & Radian side by side (they supposedly puzzle nicely) for the younger 2. Keeping a booster out of the equation for as long as possible will save your knuckles.

Jessica61624

My oldest turned 6 in June. Its such a pita to buckle booster seats in 3 across set ups. She's staying harnessed as until she outgrows her fr90. I had a parkway center also and it fit but I always got bruises.

Ellie173

The 2nd row of the pathfinder is pretty huge from my experience. I helped my friend get FF nautilus, FF MySize70, RF B-safe w/base in there without issue. I also know that they have gotten various no back boosters in the middle seat easily. They just load the older 2, the 5yo helps buckle the 3yo and then they click in the infant seat.

With 2 nautilus in the outboard positions I was able to easily fit in the middle so I think it is pretty wide (though I am comparing to how it used to be in a cube and versa so its all relative). The previous setup they used was to put the infant seat outboard, FF MySize in the middle and fold down the other outboard seat so that the oldest could have access to the back row.

YinzerMama

What would you have planned to do if you waited those 2 more years to get pregnant? Are you planning to switch cars again in the next few years?

YinzerMama

We traded in an '08 8 passenger Sienna for a new Ody. Long story. In terms of car seat fitting in I hate the Ody whereas the Sienna was a dream. So I feel your pain. I still dream of trading back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC