RF'ing in the CCO...how long?

jennzee

I've been on a bit of a carseat kick the last few days, trying to move kids around in the car so they get along better. Buying anything new hasn't even been in the equation (this time), but of course, dh starts to get apprehensive whenever I do this stuff. He's been asking me how long I anticipate Q being in the CCO, and my response has always been that it depends on if she outgrows it rf'ing before I'm ready to turn her.

So what's your best guess? She's 13 months old and is still on the first slot with just less than an inch to go before moving up to the second slot. Assuming she grows at an average rate and doesn't suddenly get a long torso, how long do you think she'll last rf'ing?

ADS

daniele_ut

Cadence is probably not a good indicator since she is so petite, but she was able to RF in the CCO until she was at least 2.5. Daniel is 21 months and has about 3" of shell over his head, I think. He just moved up to the second slots not long ago.

I use the CCO in dh's car so he isn't in it all that often. DH is not fond of the CCO these days, though. He says he feels like he has to fold Daniel in half to get him in there. I will admit, it is definitely easier getting him in and out of his Roundabout.

thekatie

J2 was already on the second slots when we got our CCO at 16-17 months. He is 2.5 years (March 8) now and still using the third slot, with just over an inch above his head. One more growth spurt and he won't be able to rear face in it anymore. But like the previous poster said, he's so tiny I don't know that he's a proper indication of how long a kid will or won't last.

jennzee

Cadence is probably not a good indicator since she is so petite, but she was able to RF in the CCO until she was at least 2.5.

Q is probably a little bigger than Cadence, but I think they are very similar in build. Now that her growth has seemed to level out some, she's hovering in the 12th %tile for height and it's definitely not in her torso.

cookie123

Oh, is she ever sweet!

I better get using my CCO before Griffin outgrows it. He's long torsoed and already 6 months old!

oliviacw

I moved my DD out of her Coccoro rear-facing at about 27 months. She hadn't yet reached 36 inches tall (34.5 at 24 months), but was at just about the 1" mark and the timing was good to move to a new seat (now rear-facing in a Guide 65 in that car, MyRide 65 in our other car). She was about the 60th percentile for height and definitely has more of her height in her torso.

I would think that a child lower in the height percentiles and with proportionally longer legs would easily make it to 2.5 rear-facing, maybe even to 3.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my experience about as long as the Scenera. So that really varies by kid- but most will get at least to around 2. Some more, some less.

gigi

My little one is about 27 months and very tall (85-90%) but she is extremely slim and has long legs. She has a good 3"+ above her head. I think bum fat and belly fat make a big difference, because mine is wearing 3t or 4t shirts and dresses for length but still fits with plenty of room in the CCO. She will hit the 36" rf height limit very soon and I'll have to make a decision about continuing to RF in it or get something else.

xursusmaritimusx

im guessing she'll be at least 2.5

my DS is a shorty with a short torso. almost 24 months and still wearing 12 mo shirts and pants (some 18 mo pants)
hes got about 3" above his head still. im hoping he makes it to 3 in the cco

at 13 months he was just growing into 9 mo onesies and 9 mo pants for size reference.

abigaylebelle

My ds fit rf in a cco until the 36" height limit with tons of room above his head, he would've been about 3.5. He didn't hit 1" of shell until he was 4ish. He was able to rf in the original tiny roundabout past his 4th birthday. He would have been wearing 2t-3t shirts then.

I noticed a huge growth slowdown after about age 2. Especially in torso growth. So you may have longer than you think. Or maybe my kids are unusually short (probably true).

Stelvis

Just throwing this out there in case someone gets the idea after searching this thread that. CCO typically lasts that long. DD would've outgrown it months ago, she's not 2 yet. I think 2 is pretty average for a kid to outgrow it.

D&L's-mommy

my niece just turned 9months old, her shoulder is about 1/2" above the 2nd set of slots from the bottom.

Last edited:

Kobain's Mommy

My kids have short torsos. Dd was 18m still on a sr32 when I had the car accident. She'll be 2 in less than a month and is only on the second slot from the bottom of the cco. She's about 34ish" so I'm thinking she'll make it to 3 in them. Lately she's all leg growth. She can wear 12m onesies but needs 24m pants.

Hazelandlucy

My DD is 32 3/4 inches at 21.5 months, but is very close to outgrowing the CCO height wise. She has about 1/2 inch of shell left before she needs a new seat. I think it will just last her until 2 yrs. She must have a long torso because she is just average on the growth charts.

scoutingbear

DD made it until 2 years, 5 months. And then had a growth suprt where she grew 5 1/4" in 6 months. :eek: Yeah. And outgrew the CCO along with several other RF seats before she turned 3!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC