Opinions/info needed for ecfe event

Reinhrs

CPS Technician
Hello, I'm a newly certified tech and mother of three. Ill be doing my first seat check event tomorrow. I've also set up with the Ecfe at one of our local schools. I'm located in northern mn and we see lots of ff right at a year if not sooner, harness loose, Chest clip too low, boosters too soon, kids in front seats(in no carseat at all usually). So the Ecfe event I've got set up is to speak to parent groups throughout the day with kids from infants on up. Ill have about 30-45 min to talk with each group. This will be my first time doing this but I'm super excited!! So far I have brochures, booklets, stickers to hand out to each parent. Ill have the use of a computer and projector if needed. And I have carseats to bring in to use as examples (keyfit 30, scenera, nautilus, true fit premier, hb turbo) I'm looking for opinions, info, suggestions on how I should go about doing this.? What main concerns to cover especially for each group and age range ( or should I just keep it basic and cover all age groups no matter what parent group I'm addressing at the time). All info is welcome and I greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

P.S I love to have found this site as I've found it so beneficial to keep up on the current seats and info!!

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Welcome and congrats on getting certified!

When speaking to groups of parents I like to keep it basic but cover every stage. Even if they only have an infant right now, it's never too early to plant the seeds regarding booster usage and transitioning to seatbelt. The take home message should always be very clear - don't rush each step. Each "graduation" to the next stage (RF to FF, FF harness to booster, booster to adult seatbelt, and finally the move to the front seat) is NOT a graduation but a demotion in safety. Don't move to the next step until it's actually necessary to do that because your child has reached the max weight or height limit on their seat. Let them know that 3-yr-olds CAN still be rear-facing, that 6-yr-olds CAN still be in a 5-pt harness and that many 10-yr-olds still need a booster even though most aren't using one.

Then leave lots of time at the end for specific Q&A.

HTH! Good luck!

Reinhrs

CPS Technician
Thanks that helps. I'm still quite nervous about how to begin this. Hopefully ill have some attentive interested parents. The ECFE director told me that she did have parent interest this summer. I planned on leaving time for q&a for sure. Maybe after our seat check event tonight ill get some more ideas as well. I'm planning on talking with our local coalition instructor about this as well. If anyone else has some suggestions I'd appreciate. Thanks!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC