I need a no brainer install...

carseatmama007

I'm looking for a seat that has a SUPER easy install to use in grandma's car.

DD spends the weekend there once a month, and the Radian install is always deplorable. I install it in my sister's car when we drop her off on Friday night, but my sister transfers it to my mom's van on Saturday... that's when the problems happen. When I went to pick her up today, the install was a mess. I have taught them and showed them both SEVERAL times how to install the seat, but they're so sloppy. The install today: the seatbelt was not locked, the seatbelt was not even clicked into the belt stalk all the way, and the top tether was wrong. I called my mom on Saturday to ask if she locked the belt (she said yes!) and got the tether right, and she said she put it under the seat and hooked it onto something on the front of the captain's chair?? I'm like, no, it goes under the headrest and BEHIND the captain's chair. So I get there today, and the top tether is over top the headrest! :mad:

So I'm looking for a new seat specifically for her car. They complain the Radian is too heavy for them to maneuver easily.
DD is 34 lbs, 41", has a 13.5" torso and is FF. The cars we're installing the seat in is a 2000 Pontiac Montana, 2003 Hyundai Sonata, and a newer Toyota 4Runner.

Does anyone know of an affordable seat that could be easy for them to install?

ADS

jjordan

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Securekid-Crawford-Seat-Booster/dp/B00BDCNPBA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379282823&sr=8-2&keywords=securekid"]Evenflo Securekid 400[/ame] is a good choice for LATCH, though I'm guessing the 2000 model year car doesn't have LATCH. The Frontier 90 is easy with a seatbelt, but not exactly a budget-friendly option.

carseatmama007

The Frontier's seatbelt install does look super easy! So expensive for a back-up seat :( I also feel like she might swim in that seat because it's so much bigger than her - she's a peanut! But this might be our best option.

I just checked the Montana's manual, and I don't believe it has low anchors, but it does have top tethers. Since she'll mainly be riding in this vehicle, I'll need an easy seatbelt install as opposed to LATCH.

tl01

The Frontier's seatbelt install does look super easy! So expensive for a back-up seat :( I also feel like she might swim in that seat because it's so much bigger than her - she's a peanut! But this might be our best option.

I just checked the Montana's manual, and I don't believe it has low anchors, but it does have top tethers. Since she'll mainly be riding in this vehicle, I'll need an easy seatbelt install as opposed to LATCH.

My almost 3.5 year old doesn't swim in it. He's a little bigger than average. He doesn't ride in it but I let him test it out. You can find them for about $200 if you wait for a deal.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
F90 is potentially the easiest seat to install, ever... period. Optimized for seatbelt installs.

If there are lower anchors, one of the Evenflo models with SureLatch might be a possibility - but I suspect its price point would be near enough the F90 that you may as well get an F90. The price may be justifiable by the fact that the F90 would likely be the last seat she'll ever need, save a booster down the road, maybe just a backless one. It will last her forever.

Kegracin

Maybe because of the buckle...they can be finicky on the Evenflos. But seriously I love installing the Maestro. So easy :) and it can't get any more affordable.

Yes possibly this MIL had issues with the buckle and DS2 couldnt undo it him self either (she had to loosen the straps and he wiggled out). When I got my FR90 the FR85 went to live in MIL car and then the Maestro went to live with BIL who loves it.

aporthole

The Maestro buckle was fairly difficult but Evenflo has since updated their buckles. I don't know if they are uncluding the new buckles currently on the Maestros but if you call or email them, they will send you the updated super easy buckle. They replaced the one on our Maestro a few months ago for free.

That said, with the types of misuse you originally described, there is NO seat on the market that will be foolproof against the things you described. I would not trust them to ever be the ones to install a seat for your child. The best option would be to leave the seat installed at all times or for you to be the one to reinstall it each time for them.

jacqui276

Regardless of what seat they have, they will need to lock the seat belt to install it and understand how to attach the top tether appropriately in their vehicle. While the Radian is a beast to haul around and there are many lighter options for them to use, they really need to be taught how to properly install any seat (maybe with repeated demonstrations for you) if they are going to be trusted to put it in. The only option I can think of that will be substantially simpler than your average seat, as mentioned by the PPs, is the Frontiers with ClickTight. Otherwise, can you install a seat in their vehicle that they will leave in there all the time?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think your two choices are: Install the seat yourself, or decide it's worth the $ to get a Frontier 90.

If they had LATCH my answers would be different (Secure Kid 400 is very grandparent-friendly with LATCH, IME), but if they are either uninterested in or unable to learn how to go through the steps necessary to get a secure install there are no other seats on the market that will take care of it for them.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The Safety First Go is a no brainer install if the LATCH anchors and top tether are easy to access.

smileyblue4

Your dd is about the same age as my ds. I know she's a bit young, but would a high back booster be safer than a wrongly installed car seat? It's not the best option, I know, but it might be worth considering given their lack of installation abilities. You'd just have to be sure they could route the seatbelt correctly. Also, a hbb will be much cheaper than a Frontier. Just putting it out there. I'm not sure I'd do it for a 4 year old, but if you can get your family to it right, I'd rather them do it right than wrong, you know?

Snow mom

I ended up buying a FR90 for the grandparents car and it's used far less often than what it sounds like your seat will be used. You can find them for $180-200 pretty frequently it seems (I paid $160 from NBD). For me it's worth the expense knowing it is easy to use properly. I'm pretty sure in another year I could have my DD install it. Plus with the 9 year expiration I won't have to buy another seat for my parents. DD will ride in the seat until she's 8 or so and then I'll pass it down to DS when I'm able to booster DD comfortably. I don't think it will be too big for your DD. My DD started riding in a FR85 at 3 and is the same height as your DD now at 4.5.

abigaylebelle

How about a classic marathon? I know it is a convertible but the lockoffs are easy to use and my parents had no trouble with them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC