Radian jitters

byronmagoo

So, the Radian that I thought I had thoroughly researched (uh, appears I missed the coffee break forum...) has arrived, but now I am thinking that I should just pack it back up and return it since it has the dread 5/07 DOM....

I very deliberately avoided an Evenflo because I am not impressed by the company ethics, but now I read that people are having issues with Sunshine Kids as well. Those stress mark/crack threads are freaking me out. But I really want to keep tall, skinny DS RF as long as possible, and, I admit, I was sucked in by the promise of a future higher RF weight limit on the Radian.

Tell me what to do!! :confused: please?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is my 2 cents, so take it for what it's worth. ;)

All companies have issues and problems. However, with the internet, word of mouth has taken on new meaning. My belief, is that if your seat works for you, there's no reason to return it or to not use it. I don't believe there is any inherent safety risk in the Radian. Other manufacturers have problems too, I'm not sure that the ones plaguing the Radian on this forum right now are any different than what has plagued other manufacturers from time to time...

I own a Radian, and am happy with it.

bbartlettnfld

I also own a radian and will continue to use it, The only thing I have noticed with it is the rounding of the recline bottom, I do not think this is a safety risk and will just use it upright and not worry about it. Plus the recline bottom doesn't do anything to "recline" the seat IMO, so why use it!
BethAnn

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So, the Radian that I thought I had thoroughly researched (uh, appears I missed the coffee break forum...) has arrived, but now I am thinking that I should just pack it back up and return it since it has the dread 5/07 DOM....

I very deliberately avoided an Evenflo because I am not impressed by the company ethics, but now I read that people are having issues with Sunshine Kids as well. Those stress mark/crack threads are freaking me out. But I really want to keep tall, skinny DS RF as long as possible, and, I admit, I was sucked in by the promise of a future higher RF weight limit on the Radian.

Tell me what to do!! :confused: please?

My dd and I love our Radian...it installs great in our car, it's low and easy to load her into it, it's open so she's comfy in it (slings her legs over the side when RF, very cute!). My seats one of the more problematic old ones, and yet I've had no problems. They have such fantastic customer service in most cases that I'm not worried at all if I have a problem. Seriously, it's a great seat and not a bad company at all (they donated many seats to the kyle david miller foundation at first, I think they have noble business goals as a company...even the mighty tite isn't some sort of horrendous kid killer, it's a well intentioned and very well built product...that people happen to use wrong and screw up their seatbelts :p). Yup, all companies have issues, so don't sweat it, buy the seat that works for your kid, your car, and you can use properly every time and try not to stress out.
:)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
May 2007 is cutting a few months off of the seat's life, but that isn't too bad. Other people have gotten seats (not necessarily just Radians) with MUCH older DOMs.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Ok.... please tell me how DOM 5/07 is significant.
I think I missed that. :eek:

It's not... I'm confused too?

By the way, I actually own four Radian's. They are a fantastic seat to keep skinny, tall kids harnessed longer and my only option in Canada for my 5.5 year old. I have never had a safety issue with any of my Radian's. I did replace all of the buckle tongues for the wider ones... hate twisty straps!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
May 2007 is cutting a few months off of the seat's life, but that isn't too bad. Other people have gotten seats (not necessarily just Radians) with MUCH older DOMs.
I'd consider May to still be really very fresh, personally...and Radians are good for 8 years, right?
:)

(And yeah, to the OP, what's wrong with May? Are you thinking of the 'older' Regents and the Britax advisory situation, perhaps?)

TN Mary

Well... my DD is almost 4 (although she's a little string bean)... but after 8 yrs, she'll be 12! We'll be in a booster at least by 8-9!

So if DOM 5/07 just has to do with 'age' of the seat, then we'll be alright.

But if there's some crazy 'batch' of Radians from 5/07 I didn't hear about... then I need someone to speak up!

byronmagoo

I thought I read on the"Radian fiasco " thread that two of the posters had problems with their 5/07 Radians, so this added to my stress level. :eek:

Glad to hear all the positive experiences people are having with the Radian. Okay, off to install it!!

Many thanks for the reassurance! :)

elle7715

I understand the hesitation. I have a 05/07 Princess Radian and while I know others are having problems with theirs, mine seems to be OK. :knock on wood: The harness is hard to tighten but it's not really an issue for us. I did replace the chest clip and buckle tongues on it though...but those are issues I wouldn't like on any Radian, the DOM has nothing to do with it.
My daughter is tall and skinny too (see my siggy) and I felt the Radian was the best choice to keep her rear facing. I'll do jumping jacks if they raise the RF weight limit after they do some more testing. I emailed Russ a couple days ago and he said he's pretty sure it could handle a higher weight limit...they just haven't tested it for that yet. DD is a long way from 33 lbs but I wish they'd do that soon! For now I'm happy with my Radian. It has it's quirks but I'm happy with it for our situation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC