Toyota Sienna or other - 3 young kids

U

Unregistered

I am expecting twins and my daughter will be 18 months old when they are born. We need to get a new car and are looking at the Toyota Sienna. Should we get the 7 or 8 passenger model, and where should we put the carseats? Also, do you think the Sienna is the best choice or would the Honda Odyssey or possibly Chevrolet Suburban (for the third row seats) be better?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I really like the idea of 8 seat option where the middle seat moves forward.... One thing to think about might be whether or not you need AWD -- I don't think it's available with the 8 seat. The snow conditions where I am narrowed my choice down :cool:

sirrahn

I have an 8 passenger Sienna

and 3 kids although mine are older...6 yr., 4yr. and 17 mo. I'm expecting #4 in April.

I love the 8 seater since it gives so much more flexibility. I would guess it's going to be something of a challenge loading 3 small ones in any vehicle, but you can stagger the middle row or take one of the seats out and use the 3rd row for one child...whatever ends up working best for you. As they get older and want friends to ride, having the extra seat will be nice as well. We've filled ours all the way up, 4 adults and 4 kids in carseats and everyone fit fine. Typically, I have all 3 of my kids across the 2nd row...one booster, one ffing convertible and one rfing convertible and they all fit nicely. For trips we've spread them out more.

The '05 Ody is going to offer and 8 seat version too, but from what I've seen in pics, the middle seat is really tiny...it just crams between the normal captains seats. It does stow inside the van though when you're not using it which is kind of cool.

Personally I don't care for big SUV's and from being in my friends' Suburbans, I think it would be even harder to deal with getting little kids in...narrower doors, higher up etc. It's also certainly not up there with the Sienna/Ody safety-wise.

HTH a bit:)nat~CPS tech

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've heard that only the 7 seater sienna offers side curtain airbags, not the 8 seater, is that correct?
I think I'd trade that 8th seat for airbags, if it were me...not having side curtain airbags in my van (2003 Ody) now makes me feel kind of nervous, and I'm going to keep my kids harnessed or in side impact protective seats till I get a van WITH curtain airbags...that's just me, if you reallly, really need that 8th seat, then I'm sure it's still an incredibly safe choice :)

sirrahn

I've heard that only the 7 seater sienna offers side curtain airbags, not the 8 seater, is that correct?

Nope it's not. My 8 seater has the side curtains, stability control, traction control and rear disc brakes that Toyota packages together. You can also get just the side curtains. I think the packaging may be a little different for '05s. It might be a little harder to find one since they don't make as many 8 seaters and it's an option, but they are available.

The side curtains are supposed to be standard on all '05 Ody's though:)nat

mamamia

I have three children (4 years, 27 months, 2 months) and a 7 passenger 2004 sienna. I love it. CUrrently only the 4 year old is forward facing, and she sits in the third row passenger side. I moved the passenger side captain chair into the middle of the second row, and the youngest rides in that seat. My 2 year old rides rear-facing behind the driver seat. When the youngest moves to a convertible I am going to put her behind me and put the two year old in the other captain chair. I only have one power sliding door, and it seems like it would be easier for the two older ones to get in that side once I slide the door open in the driveway :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Personally, I prefer to have all 3 kids in the middle row (I have a Honda Pilot 8-seater), so that I can hand things back, they can keep each other company, and the older ones can help with the baby.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC