Question does anyone else feel like the bubblebum booster isnt safe.? LOL

ADS

jacqui276

Since booster seats are used to position the seat belt properly, as long as the seat belt provides a good fit when sitting in the bubble bum, I don't think that it is any less safe than any other low back booster seats.

It wouldn't be my first choice to use other than for a travel seat since it seems like it would be annoying to have to route the seat belt through the guides on it, but I would be comfortable with my child using one (assuming that it was available here).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It passes testing (even deflated) so I have no qualms about its safety. We've used it quite a few times ourselves, and I wouldn't let my kids use something whose quality I questioned.

Baylor

Basically the point of the BB is to position the belt correctly. Even not inflated if it does that it is okay..

I know how you feel I felt the same thing when it came out, And while I don't own one I may buy one because it is an easy way to always have a booster on hand.

tiggercat

A typical backless booster is just a chunk of plastic, a chunk of foam, glorified phone book, mesh trampoline, pillow, whatever. With arm rests/belt guides.

It's crash tested, meets standards, and can be expected to provide adequate protection in a crash, when used according to manufacturer's directions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tl01

I have one and I know it has passed crash testing. That said, watching DS1 sit on it was not fun. He sort of slips and slides all over it. The fit was acceptable but not great and DS1 is a big 7.5 year old. He's 68 lbs and 51 inches tall. I would not use it if I didn't have a different nbb with me.

cookie123

Matthew (5.5)had a hard time in it the day he used it, but it was in the middle on a slight hump, which I think could make it harder. Hannah (10.75) seems to do fine with it. That said, she doesn't prefer to use it! We use it occasionally, when ever we have all 3 kiddos, which isn't often. While it's not my favorite seat, I feel it's safe, and we need it for those 3 across occasions.

lj.17

Matthew (5.5)had a hard time in it the day he used it, but it was in the middle on a slight hump, which I think could make it harder. Hannah (10.75) seems to do fine with it. That said, she doesn't prefer to use it! We use it occasionally, when ever we have all 3 kiddos, which isn't often. While it's not my favorite seat, I feel it's safe, and we need it for those 3 across occasions.

that's true. I have a whole new opinion on bubblebum now after reading everyone's responses.

TXmom2

So what makes it better than using a folded blanket or something? Does it actually have belt positioners?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Emma and Bridget fight over who gets to use it- I'm gonna have to get another soon. How much kids like a seat will always vary.

safety-wise, the guides are triple sewn into a network of webbing with lots of corners-and we all know corners are strong! I have no doubt it would both position the belt and distribute forces just like other backless boosters. :)

YinzerMama

I think it is one of those things that seems goofy and jerryrigged until you understand how it works, like a pool noodle.

scoutingbear

I think the belt fit really depends on the vehicle and child when using it. When I took my CPST class, the instructors like the idea, one even had been using it for her own children during travel. However, they put it in a car with leather seating, and the BB slid around on the seat. Since then, she does not recommend it to parents. Again, I think the fit really depends on the child and vehicle. If you get a bad fit, it isn't a good choice. I do let my 9 year old use on during carpool and we have used it for travel.

thepote

I think the belt fit really depends on the vehicle and child when using it. When I took my CPST class, the instructors like the idea, one even had been using it for her own children during travel. However, they put it in a car with leather seating, and the BB slid around on the seat. Since then, she does not recommend it to parents. Again, I think the fit really depends on the child and vehicle. If you get a bad fit, it isn't a good choice. I do let my 9 year old use on during carpool and we have used it for travel.

Yes - exactly. It's the same with any other car seat. Like how I will recommend Radians all day long because it's an awesome seat... knowing full well there are positions in cars it won't fit in (hence the Radian Successful Installation thread, to check these things). Does that make the Radian unsafe? No, not at all. It's one of those things where it just may be the best "tool" for the job. Having boosters for my 7 and 9 year olds (and way back when for my 17yo), I can see how the job of the booster is pure positioning... with crash tested boosters, of course :)

julia94115

I'm gonna get flogged I know, but we have our BB on a piece of non slip rug pad.
It works great on our leather seats.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't see any reason to flog for that. The reasons for not using non-slip would be 1) to not mask a loose install - the BB is not installed so no danger there and 2) so it doesn't melt onto the leather - aesthetic issue, not a safety one. Someone else may see a concern I don't, though.

I, too, was skeptical about the BB but am less wigged now. I think it has a lot of usefulness... in certain circumstances. Wish it had been an option when I was trying to work out my three-across!

tiggercat

I'm gonna get flogged I know, but we have our BB on a piece of non slip rug pad.
It works great on our leather seats.

Like shelf liner? I don't see an issue with that either. It's not like it is installed in the vehicle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So what makes it better than using a folded blanket or something? Does it actually have belt positioners?

Oh definitely. It's got like a net of polyester webbing wrapped around the inflatable part, and attached to that are super strong metal belt guides (covered with red plastic for smoothness)...here's a great review... http://carseatblog.com/10427/bubble-bum-review-booster-seat-or-flotation-device/

It's such a good idea, Dorel has come up with a non-inflating-almost-invisible version for older kids http://carseatblog.com/23450/safety-1st-incognito-kid-positioning-seat-preview/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC