How long does it take for an insurance to call back?

remken

After an accident. I was rear ended today where I was stopped and the guy behind me was stopped and then another driver came and hit the person behind me which made him hit me. There is no damage to my vehicle as far as I can see. Which I'm surprised because it did make my vehicle move forward about 3-4 feet. My son was with me in his seat and is fine.
I had a headache that came on as soon as it happened but is going away now.

The vehicle that was behind me has significant damage to its rearend though. ( A newer nissan quest) They were able to drive away though. The vehicle that did the hitting didn't show any damage either (a 2000 or older dodge pick up).

But anyways my questions is it has been about 2 hrs. since and Iwas wondering how long
I should give his insurance to call back. Since
I do want my car checked out and Remys seat replaced.

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Largely depends on which insurance it is and what they're process is.

Did you call the other driver's local agent/office or the 1-800 accident reporting number?

Did you speak to a warm body or a machine?

Certainly 24-48 hrs. is normal. This is especially true since it appears everyone drove away and no one required medical attention.

I'm sure the police is involved. Some insurance companies wait for the police report to be filed.

Some don't contact you but contact their inspector or investigator who will then contact you to see the vehicle.

Good luck.

Make sure you keep good notes about when you call, who you speak with and what was said.

I had a night mare experience several years ago. One car crash, 5 pm., Friday, Sawmill Parkway in NY, out of state vehicle, not drivable, "Vinnie" the hack at the "repair" shop "fixed" everything: wrong size tire, frame that was supposed to be repaired was still bend/cracked, rotor that had been resurfaced less than a month prior a had a large gash. . . I used every mode of transportation (bus, subway, train, ferry, rental car) in the process of having the vehicle repaired. Throughout it all, my insurance company was AWESOME!

remken

I didn't talk to his insurance yet. But he called them while I was there and gave them all of my information.

remken

I had a night mare experience several years ago. One car crash, 5 pm., Friday, Sawmill Parkway in NY, out of state vehicle, not drivable, "Vinnie" the hack at the "repair" shop "fixed" everything: wrong size tire, frame that was supposed to be repaired was still bend/cracked, rotor that had been resurfaced less than a month prior a had a large gash. . . I used every mode of transportation (bus, subway, train, ferry, rental car) in the process of having the vehicle repaired. Throughout it all, my insurance company was AWESOME![/QUOTE]

Thankfully I don't think my car has that much damage. Which is weird because this was a lot harder hit than the last time I was rear ended and that was around $700 dollars worth of damage.
I am taking it to my h work thou in a bit to put it on a lift so we can look underneath the car.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'd suggest taking the bull by the horns so to speak, and placing a call to the at fault driver's insurance company to get the ball rolling on your behalf, especially with the weekend quickly approaching. It's not unheard of for an insurance company to be less than eager to contact other parties involved in a crash. Sometimes the insurance reps aren't that eager to even deal with their very own customers post-crash. :( I heavily favor a proactive approach whenever possible. :twocents: I hope it's all sorted out smoothly for you, and also hope the headache and any soreness are better soon.

mtnharmony

I would definitely keep in contact with them. We had to stay 100% on top of our insurance company when I was in a wreck 7 yrs ago. Got our money in 2-3 months which is fast when bodily damages are involved and no lawyer! But it was all due to DH being aggressive.

This last time, about 3 weeks ago, I got rearended by an insurance rep. The guy in front of me stopped, and I barely stopped. The guy behind me couldn't. He was a regional rep. with 2 kids, and very into making sure we were ok. Our agent said we didn't need police, and he was ok with it too. It was on a Friday, and it still took a little while to hear from them. Can't remember how long due to the weekend, but we did call them to make sure they had our contact. We got a check in our hands within 2 weeks, but I think it is because we were rearended by a rep. in a company car, and we use the same company for our insurance! But it sill took some time for them to call us, then they left a message. We called back, and they said they hadn't completed working on the other car's claim or something and they would call us in a day or 2. They did follwup, but never assume they will! But like I said, even with getting in an accident with our regional rep (new ot the area too) we didn't get the call as fast as I would have expected. I got one much faster when people were hurt the time before this wreck.

:twocents:

Melanie

What's the saying? The squeaky wheel gets oiled? I'd call and bug them (nicely). You may get moved to the front of the call back list.

Even though there may not be visible damage, you should have your bumper checked by a reputable shop. There can be internal damage that can make it not perform properly if you are hit again.

LuvBug

The squeaky wheel gets oiled?

:ROTFLMAO: that is so going to be my new quote :p

Id definitely call and bug them. Whenever I want ANYTHING to get done in a reasonable amount of time when dealing with a company, I bug the crap out of them- nicely of course ;) .
That is why I am the one at work that is appointed to making the phone calls to our suppliers and such :thumbsup:

remken

The guys insurance (state farm) just called and gave me my claim #. I can take my car to any body shop here in town to get an estimate and to get the work done.

Hopefully I don't have a problem with them replacing his car seat though. When I had mentioned that my son was in his car seat at the time she said at first that they had changed their policy on that. I then told her his car seat says to replace after a crash. So now I need to either order him a new seat or buy another one here in town take his old car seat to a place here in town and then they will decide if I need a new one.

ZephyrBlue

Don't let the ins. co. "decide" whether he needs a new seat or not- which they cannot do by looking at the old seat! I'm sure you already know this, but don't let them bully you about it. When I was rear ended a few months ago, I called Dorel (DD was in an Apex when we were hit) and they said to replace the seat, even though there was no structural damage to my car, just the busted bumper and tail light. I called Britax about our 2 empty seats that were in the vehicle, and they have a different criteria for seats needing to be replaced. But don't ever let the insurance company make the decision. ((hugs)) I'm glad you and your DS are okay and I hope your headache goes away soon :)

remken

Woohoo They replaced the car seat. Plus they have it set up with the rental company a car for when the auto body shop is able to repair my car which should take about 4 days.

ZephyrBlue

Great news :thumbsup: Are you replacing with the same seat you had previously, or going with a different model?

remken

I got the marathon since it has the same weight limits as the radian. Plus I could get it here in town. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or not though. I'm going to install it in my car first and see how much torso room he has.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC