Does anyone have a full oddy?

mom2ari

Wondering if anyone has 5 or 6 kids in the newest generation oddy? We are just starting to think about number 4 but often have one or two other kids riding with us. I am wondering what seats you have and what your setup is like. I am assuming we will have one booster rider, one FFer, and two RFers by the time we would have #4, and the two that ride with us most often would be another booster rider, and one that could be either FFing or RFing.

Also if you do have 5 or 6 with you on a regular basis, are you satisfied with the oddy or would you prefer a bigger vehicle?

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this post, I wasn't sure if I should put it here or not.

ADS

YinzerMama

We used to have an 08 sienna 8 passenger and it was much better if you actually want to fit 6 people back there and car seats are involved. The 3rd row was 3 1/2 inches wider than my ody which doesn't sound like much but makes a huge difference. My husband actually once squeezed between 2 frontiers back there. Forget about it in the ody. It's the narrowest minivan 3rd row, no idea why - but leg room is really good.

I have never had more than 5 back there but if I had to I could do some juggling to get say 1 car seat and 2 people in the 3rd row and 2 car seats 1 person in the middle. I've never HAD to, but I could.

Normally we have 2 girls in frontiers in the 3rd row outboard, baby in the middle, oldest kid behind passenger (just in a seatbelt but anything could go there), and drivers side 2nd row folded flat for easy access to back but open for a passenger if needed.

It's that 3rd row that will get you. I've read radians don't work too well back there (have not tried though) so even if you're willing to shell out for the narrowest it might not work.

eta - oh and there are a lot of child seats that won't work on that center seat - so it's not as flexible as the old sienna which really would take anything in all 3 middle seats... but it's better than the new sienna in that regard. It works for us with 4 kids and as my kids are getting bigger once we are into boosters and then seatbelts in a few years moving will be much easier but with dedicated strapped in seats it can be tight.

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My understanding that the newest generation of Ody (in the last two years, maybe) is much better for six in the rear. OTOH, Siennas - which were the best bet - have gone the other direction. I really haven't worked in them myself, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in :)

Stelvis

Anything -- anything -- is possible in the new gen Ody second row. You can get three across with Frontiers! Or you could have two Frontiers and still be able to slide the other captain's chair forward.

There are tether anchors in every position, and LATCH in all but the center third row. So it's fantastic for car seats. Probably the best car on the market for car seats.

The newer second row center seat is wider than the old ones. There are a few seats that don't work RF, mostly because of how hard and slippery it is.

YinzerMama

The top tethers in the 3rd row are awesome for car seats, but the narrowness will still get you. I don't know why they can't just make it a little wider. We've had the back of the car ripped apart to put in sun shades and speakers (you don't get 3rd row speakers unless you go for the touring elite) and there's nothing in there preventing them making that back row a little wider.

Malka

I've got five car seats in my 2011 seven passenger Ody. The second row bucket seats can fit just about any car seat, forward or rear facing. I have a classic roundabout RF and a RF Scenera in those two seats. In the third row, I have a forward facing Radian (tough to install but I got it, had to twist the female end to get the buckle out of the belt path), a RFing Radian (easy to install), and a new Harmony Defender. They fit great back there, all installed with seat belt, even though the two outboard have LATCH. I kinda wish I'd gotten the 8 seater, there are times when I'd love to be able to fit another person back there. My sister has a brand new 8 seater 2014 and has a Frontier and Defender in the third row, a RFing Scenera middle second row on the little 8th seat, and a RFing Roundabout driver's side. The passenger side bucket is removed to make a walkway to access the back row.

bnsnyde

Yes, we have the 2011 Odyssey and it's full.

Right now we only have 5 carseats installed (but a 6th could go in just fine).

We have an infant seat behind driver (Aton II which even 6'4" husband fits easily in front of!), a Kiddyworld Cruiserfix booster on the little middle seat (one of the few to latch and fit nicely), and a Frontier 90 behind passenger.

In the back, we have a FF Diono seat next to a RF Diono seat, and the rest of the bench folded down so the kids climb over that. (I could put it up and install a 6th seat, or I even fit in that spot in the seatbelt).

In back, it's tight, and I can't even get two Diono seats FF side by side with the bench folded. So at some point we'll need to raise the whole thing.

Then, the kids climb over the seatback and through the hatch to get in, and I put in inflatable stairs. This works. It's not ideal. But it's a full van. For 6 kids I'd say it is fine. With a 7th kid, I'd want a bigger vehicle! Ours are close together so nobody will be up front anytime soon as they are 5 kids under age 8.

Malka

I've got five car seats in my 2011 seven passenger Ody. The second row bucket seats can fit just about any car seat, forward or rear facing. I have a classic roundabout RF and a RF Scenera in those two seats. In the third row, I have a forward facing Radian (tough to install but I got it, had to twist the female end to get the buckle out of the belt path), a RFing Radian (easy to install), and a new Harmony Defender. They fit great back there, all installed with seat belt, even though the two outboard have LATCH. I kinda wish I'd gotten the 8 seater, there are times when I'd love to be able to fit another person back there. My sister has a brand new 8 seater 2014 and has a Frontier and Defender in the third row, a RFing Scenera middle second row on the little 8th seat, and a RFing Roundabout driver's side. The passenger side bucket is removed to make a walkway to access the back row.

Wy`sMom

I have a 2012 8 passenger Oddy and have questions for those of you that have successfully installed Radians in the third row. I am a tech and have tried several times to install my radian but with the forward of the bight seat belts I always find the seat pulling forward when the harness adjuster is used. How did you he the seat to not pull forward? Side to side my seat is rock solid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC