Would you be comfortable........

erind

I am sure I am over thinking this. DS will be 5 in less than 2 weeks. He is currently in a radian 80 in my mother's car, which is a 2002 convertible mustang. He is just even with the top slots and she wants to put him in a booster in there. The booster stage just came too fast for me I guess. I know there are not many harnessed seats taller. He is in the Frontier 90 in my car and will be harnessed there for a while yet. I did let him try the Frontier in booster mode to see how he sat and he did really well. I just feel like he is too small still. :crying: She only drives him to school and around town. Tell me I am not crazy to let him have a booster in her car.

ADS

cookie123

The important questions are can he stay in position for the whole ride and will he keep the seat belt where it belongs, as well as does the booster seat position the seat belt correctly. If these are yes, then at 5 a booster seat is an appropriate choice. Of note, he may not be able to buckle up himself. My grandkids actually did better buckling themselves into the harness.

KelliBella

^^ If he does have trouble consistently staying in position, you can always consider a Pioneer. Cheaper than another Frontier, but still super safe and comfy. I can't remember if the Amazon Mom Apprecition event is still going on, but there are deals to be had.

thepote

It's reasonable to booster if you think he'd be able to stay in position... BUT if you aren't comfortable, then don't do it. Don't let your mom pressure you. Your kid, your rules. If they were ever in an accident you want to be sure you are comfortable with him in a booster in that scenario, and that you wouldn't resent your mom... stuff like that.

You could always try a booster and see how it goes for a couple weeks. You may warm up to the idea (it took me a little while with ds3). He will be ready for a booster eventually so buying one now wouldn't be unreasonable.

How much does he weigh?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One other item to factor in is that you have a Radian, which does allow use above the top slots (assuming he's less than 53" lol.) Perhaps he could eek out another six months by going slightly above them, giving you time to booster train him and decide if you are comfortable with it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC