Flatware to send for lunches: sugarbooger? Ikea? ???

Athena

While I'm shopping for new containers, a good set of flatware for sending with them would be great too! Anyone tried these?
http://www.diapers.com/p/sugarbooger-by-ore-silverware-set-princess-darjeeling-841702
Are they really dishwasher safe? I wonder about those plastic handles. They're a bit pricey to risk losing, but they all seem to cost a lot.
(And do I want something called sugarbooger? :p)

Other option would be this set from Ikea.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60137571/
I like the lack of plastic and they should work great in the dishwasher, but they seem a bit cheap and don't come with a holder, but I could probably put them in a reusable snack bag. :shrug-shoulders:

At home, they just use the same as us, but those are too nice to send to school. thanks for the help!!!

Last edited:
ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The IKEA flatware you linked to is awesome! I have several sets and we love it. Great quality for the price.

That being said, we send PlanetBox flatware for lunch. Ha ha. I bought it when PlanetBox released it which was prior to me obtaining the IKEA flatware. The IKEA flatware is used at home by TechnoBaby.

Athena

The IKEA flatware you linked to is awesome! I have several sets and we love it. Great quality for the price.

That being said, we send PlanetBox flatware for lunch. Ha ha. I bought it when PlanetBox released it which was prior to me obtaining the IKEA flatware. The IKEA flatware is used at home by TechnoBaby.

Thanks! That's great news! Trying to remember the size of the Ikea ones now, but I think they were big enough for a 7 year old to use. Is that right? I was just wondering seeing that your baby uses them, but that doesn't mean there isn't a big age group that could. Right now she's using toddler stuff that she's way outgrown (but we had it and I didn't care if it got lost :eek:). Adding to Ikea shopping list! :D

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks! That's great news! Trying to remember the size of the Ikea ones now, but I think they were big enough for a 7 year old to use. Is that right? I was just wondering seeing that your baby uses them, but that doesn't mean there isn't a big age group that could. Right now she's using toddler stuff that she's way outgrown (but we had it and I didn't care if it got lost :eek:). Adding to Ikea shopping list! :D

Yes, they are totally fine for a 7 year old IMO, unless your child only likes the big adult stuff. My 7 year old uses the smaller forks, and spoons in our adult set and these are comparable (fork shorter, spoon wider, but overall comparable). She just doesn't get to use these since they were purchased for the baby and she's already used to the others. For lunch especially, they'd be fine.

julia94115

I love the Ikea stainless. Grab them while you can because it seems our Ikea never has them in stock anymore.

I also love the lunchbots stainless set!! Although it costs more....but I bought 2 sets from Zulily.

vonfirmath

Do your kids bring flatware home?

Everytime I have sent non-plastic flatware to school, it has NOT come home :( It really makes me want to just send disposable stuff.

BabyKaykes

Everytime I have sent non-plastic flatware to school, it has NOT come home :( It really makes me want to just send disposable stuff.

This. I bought awesome flatware in its own handy carry case. It was in use for a month before the spoon disappeared. The fork soon followed. I get the character ones from the dollar store now. They're a good size, yet cheap. So I'm not sad if they disappear. Funny, haven't lost any yet....::straightface::

Sent from my Galaxy Exhibit using Car-Seat.Org

julia94115

Well- we haven't lost anything yet. But I did about a 2 month trial with plastic to see what happened. It's been almost fwo years!
But DD is pretty responsible for five years.

Kat_Momof3

I didn't have trouble with them coming home, but Ruthie just did NOT want a big bulky fork in her box... and she no longer thinks it's fun to eat with my dollar tree cocktail fork picks... pooh! (ah well, with stickers, they will be fun decorations and they were a dollar for a whole pack!)

I got a set of 2 forks with two spoons in the dollar spot at target and let her pick the color (they had blue with monster eyes on the handles, green with different monster eyes on the handles, purple with some sort of pattern and saying, and pink with hearts... she chose pink) and she's LOVING them. I do wish I'd bought a few more as I find myself washing them by hand every day or every other day (she's taking breakfast to school because she doesn't want to be left out at school breakfast, so she's using a spoon every day, too), so the next time I hit target, I'll be checking the dollar spot again. (they also had matching water bottles and containers that looked cute, but I have more than enough of that stuff for now)

NVMBR02

We use the Ikea ones, and have since dd started K. They always come home, and they are inexpensive enough that I don;t worry about it too much. We also have one set of Gerber flatware given to us as a gift. My kids use regular adult flatware at home, but don't have an issue with the smaller ones for school and picnics. I usually use the smaller ones when out and about too.

We also have 2 light my fire sporks, we have the titanium ones and the kids love those! I haven't sent those to school yet, DH and DS use them for scouts and the kids love to use them for picnics. We have had some of the plastic ones in the past but they do break.

Athena

I love the Ikea stainless. Grab them while you can because it seems our Ikea never has them in stock anymore.

I did! I got four sets! The only problem is that I like them so much I don't want to send them to school.

With the cheap ones I didn't care about, yes they always brought them back. With these nice ones, they'll probably lose them. I hope not!

I got a set of 2 forks with two spoons in the dollar spot at target and let her pick the color (they had blue with monster eyes on the handles, green with different monster eyes on the handles, purple with some sort of pattern and saying, and pink with hearts... she chose pink) and she's LOVING them.

Those sound adorable!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC