Question WWYC & why?

thekatie

Which seat would you use for a 13ish hour drive: Diono RadianRXT or Combi Coccoro? And why?

J2 is 2.5 years old and just fits in the CCO rear facing, maybe half an inch of growing room. DH is driving the boys in his (not sure the year) Toyota Matrix. I've installed both seats in his car, rear and forward facing, just to make sure they fit in any way. Both install well, so I know both are safe so long as they will be used right (and both DH and J1 have had proper usage hammered into their skulls). So it's not a "safety" concern on which to take (even though my in NO way official or engineer-ical opinion is the steel is safer - I know that's not necessarily true, just knee jerk), but a few other, trivial things:

1) The Js are driving down with DH, but flying back with me. I would prefer to take the CCO through the airport and on the plane. DH has offered to have J2 ride in the RXT and just pack the CCO so I can use it on the plane. I feel vaguely silly about that, plus it would take up valuable luggage space (multi family, week long trip).

2) We wanted the boys to have headphones so no one annoys one another with music or games or movies. The only headphones we can find for J2 do NOT fit in between the RXT headwings.

So, basically I feel ridiculous about making this harder than it is. What would you do?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would say the CCO as well. Aside from feeling like it's safer, are there any pros to taking the Radian?

thepote

My almost 3yo outgrew the CCO at almost 2.5... but she was sort of squished in it before that... knees to ears sort of thing. Comfort is the only thing I'd be concerned about. But if the child likes the seat, CCO would be easy to travel with.

thekatie

I would say the CCO as well. Aside from feeling like it's safer, are there any pros to taking the Radian?

No, it's strictly my unscientific and probably irrational desire for him to be in a steel frame on the drive (because in my irrational mind, the frame of the car itself apparently doesn't count).

My almost 3yo outgrew the CCO at almost 2.5... but she was sort of squished in it before that... knees to ears sort of thing. Comfort is the only thing I'd be concerned about. But if the child likes the seat, CCO would be easy to travel with.

There is much less leg room, but he seems to love the CCO more than any of his seats. He's more willing to climb into it & let us buckle him at least.

Thanks y'all.

Hazelandlucy

The CCO crash test videos on YouTube look very impressive if that's a comfort. I am just a mom, not a tech, but I watched all the videos I could and the CCO did a great job!

gigi

The CCO crash test videos on YouTube look very impressive if that's a comfort. I am just a mom, not a tech, but I watched all the videos I could and the CCO did a great job!

THIS! Those videos were the nail in the coffin of the Radian for me. I LOVE the CCO for my almost 2.5 year old. She loves it too and has plenty of room. I love the deep sides and all that foam.

thekatie

I haven't seen the Radian. The last time I looked at the videos I didn't have one, so I skipped it. Looks like I need to go Google-ing or see if I can find the thread here that linked - I can't remember who put up the videos.

kam1011

Before I even saw YOUR con list, I already voted CCO. With your extra concerns at the end, no doubt in my mind.

Kobain's Mommy

THIS! Those videos were the nail in the coffin of the Radian for me. I LOVE the CCO for my almost 2.5 year old. She loves it too and has plenty of room. I love the deep sides and all that foam.

I had one cco when I saw that and was thinking of getting a radian. I got a second cco after the videos.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC