combination booster help

U

Unregistered

My short 3 year old daughter weighs 31 pounds. Our 6 month old has exceeded the recommended height for her infant carrier seat and so we will need to move the 3 year old out of the convertible car seat and into a combination booster so the baby can have the convertible car seats (turned back around rear facing). The convertible seats we have are Evenflo Triumphs and we love them.

I am clueless as to what to get for a combination booster (I think that's what you call the kind of seat that uses a 5 pt harness but can also be belt positioning). I have been trying to look up reviews and have found some stuff I'm not clear on-- the Eddie Bauer that is not recommended by Consumer Reports-- is that the same seat as the Summit??? It's all so confusing.

We want a good seat, but I want something airplane friendly as well. We have 2 vehicles and will be getting 2 seats -- for a 2004 Honda Odyssey and for a 2003 Mazda Protege 5.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You want to look for a seat with taller top harness slots, and front harness adjusters. The Combo seats that currently fit this bill are the ones made by Graco and Evenflo (the Cargo and Chase models, with 17 inch top slots...the Cosco Summit and Eddie Bauer seats only have 15 inch top slots, so there's not as much time to keep her harnessed).
Consumer Reports has issues with the shoulderbelt guides (and don't even rate these very safe, and very well-loved-by-mom seats in the current review!) on these models, but since you can hand these seats down to your next child to use harnessed, you may never even be using the shoulderbelt guides at all (Just buying a good dedicated belt positioner, like the Britax Bodyguard or Turbo Booster when she's 40 pounds).
Of course the best advice is to try before you buy...Babies R US, Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target and Sears usually have both these models (in varying cover choices...some are WAY more padded than others)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC