Gate check the foonf in a weelee travel bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I will be flying on an air canada flight with my 14 month old later this month. We just purchased the foonf with the weelee travel bag and I was hoping someone here had some experience with this. For this trip she will be traveling as a lap baby (I know that is frowned upon but for our circumstance, this is the way things are working out this trip). I would like to check it at the gate since we have a connecting flight and I would like to increase the chance of having the car seat when we arrive at our final destination. I don't know if they will tell me it's too big to gate check or not. Any tips?? Thanks in advance :)

ADS

Clek CPST

Usually airlines are fairly flexible when it comes to gate checking items for infants. I would call Air Canada and ask if they're ok with it. Have a safe trip.

Shaunam

I personally wouldn't gate check such an expensive car seat. :eek: I'd buy a cosco scenera or an apt for the trip. Both very lightweight and inexpensive.

thepote

I personally wouldn't gate check such an expensive car seat. :eek: I'd buy a cosco scenera or an apt for the trip. Both very lightweight and inexpensive.

Yeah that. Sometimes they just literally drop the gate checked stuff down to the tarmac to stow it.

Eclipsepearl

ITA with getting a less expensive seat. The airlines won't compensate you if it's damaged.

Still try to see if there's a free seat on the plane to use on board.

If you need to contact the airlines, always email, don't call (unless it's something they can do right away by computer that you can confirm, like changing a seat). A lot of airlines are using remote calling stations and those answering probably don't know. They are also usually on a time constraint and want to get rid of you. They'll say something rather than look it up and get you off the phone.

Plus, if you're told something, you can't print it up and bring it to the airport with you so that you can show them the information you've been given.

But globally, gate-checked items are rarely refused. Just make sure the tag can be seen on the bag.

U

Unregistered

OP here: Thanks for the responses. I would like to take the foonf only because we will be doing a lot of driving around on the highway.
I have not been able to find an email contact for air canada, and I tried calling them today but I was on hold for 15 minutes and that is all the time I had to make the call.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Several years ago I attempted to gate check a car seat(before I knew the risks) and was not allowed to with Air Canada in Toronto. So you will run the risk of not being able to gate check the seat. I too would purchase a lightweight seat and not risks the chance that your Foonf will be damaged or lost.

Mama!

Someone on fb was recently posting that the airline has completely broken their foonf. I'd use a cheap seat.

Keeanh

I would also take a Scenera. I've used the Scenera as a full-time seat for several of my kids, despite having several $300 seats on hand. It installs easily (once you know the tricks), is easy to buckle & adjust, is lightweight, and small. I actually prefer it to the Coccoro except that the CCO is so dang cute LOL. I know it's bare-bones and seems like it should be uncomfortable, but I've never once had a child complain.

Persimmon

I've flown with a Foonf and a Scenera. I would take the Scenera if you are absolutely gate checking it. I know it seems like a flimsy seat but the plastic is supposed to flex in an accident and absorb the impact forces. I would bring a towel or chunk of pool noodle in case you need it for a rear facing installation though. Really, there is no way that I would check a Foonf unless maybe if it was in the original box with all the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC