Booster and school van help (emergency question)

U

Unregistered

Thanks for taking a look at this. It's been a long time since I've had to ask a seat question. My son is 9 and uses a Nautilus booster in one vehicle and a Monterrey in mine. He does use low back when with someone else but sleeps too much in the car to be in a low back. He is 9 years old, 55 lbs and about 49 inches.

He is starting a new school this week and he will be riding in a school van. The benches have latch in the middle but the bus director is concerned because my high backs are so wide (and he will have kids next to him. I explained that if he sleeps, he will fall out and lay on the kids anyway. Also, I think if he is in a low back, he might be higher than the back of the seat and there are no headrests. It is a little more like a bus but the manual says to use passenger vehicle rules according to the director.

For me, it isn't a big deal if he doesn't use latch because when he's not in it it really isn't my problem. That being said, I know that he won't always put the seat belt on when he leaves the vehicle because he isn't used to it.

The director says he is the first child to need a booster. I explained that I was sure he wasn't but other parents probably didn't care. She tried to show me the 6 and 60 rule here, thank goodness he isn't 60 lbs so I didn't have to fight the 5 step test, although I probably will.

What would you do? I'm looking for narrow boosters that latch and are high back. I don't really want him in a low back but what would you do? It's this weird area because it is a van but has bench seats like a bus.

Thanks for any ideas.
Vikki

ADS

CMeMeC

Does it have lap and shoulder belts? Our school bus/van only has lap belts. I would probably get him something narrow and inexpensive since it probably won't be handled with care and there are other kids next to him. Maybe a turbo booster?

PikkuMyy

If the van has lap/shoulder belts and your son still fits in one, I would look into a Graco Affix. A Britax Parkway SGL would be my second suggestion. It's much taller than the Affix but also more expensive.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! Yes it has shoulder straps and LATCH in the middle spots. She was worried about the room it would take up with older kids sitting near him and kids climbing over. The school will pay for the seat so I will probably go with what is more narrow. The Graco didn't have measurements on the page so I will look. Clek Oobr seemed to be narrowest but I don't know if he can do the leg length. Thanks a lot!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Clek Oobr is most certainly NOT the narrowest. And the Affix is the same dimensions as a high back Turbo Booster. :)

MommyShannon

I'd get a Parkway SGL. I'd be afraid he'd outgrow the Graco with a growth spurt during the year. Do you know what his torso height is?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC