Help, broken piece on True Fit Premiere

JillianMarie

Ugh, love grandma and grandpa but when I just went to install my True Fit that's been in their vehicle I see there's a broken piece, the yellow and red clip from inside the seat back (I will try to get a photo hosted to post). I'm only using this seat FF using latch, so the brokenpiece ddoesn't appear to matter, but I'm paranoid so checking in here. I just routed the latch belt through the FF path, and connected, it's not "clipped" or secured in any other way, but the seat is snug. Is this correct?

Also, I just installed right next to a RF key fit, and there's exactly 1inch in between bases at the narrowest point; with the actual seat in they'll definitely touch. Is this too close together?

ADS

JillianMarie

Piggy backing onto my own question, my son is 31lbs, true fit latch limit is 48 lbs, and car latch limits, from what I've been able to find other places, is 40 lbs ( we have an accord and a TL, so basically the same car). Ok to use the latch until 40 lbs then junk the seat, due to the broken piece, which will not allow me to do a seat belt install?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My understanding of others' experience with the broken lock-off on a True Fit is that yes - you can continue to do a LATCH install despite the broken lock-off but when the time comes to require a seat belt install it's toast. You might want to confirm that with First Years to be sure.

Does the KeyFit attach onto the base as you've got it installed? I don't know off hand how those two seats might fit together, but the carrier needs to fully click on to the base without dislodging either seat in order to be acceptable.

If you have a younger child you might keep the True Fit and use it rear-facing down the road, with either LATCH or seat belt. It would be a shame to junk the seat when only one of four install methods is unusable.

JillianMarie

Thanks for their response. I will keep the seat for RF latch down the line, good point. Wouldn't you know it all that hard work and the key fit bucket seat doesn't easily snap into the base on the side bordering the True Fit. I also have a Boulevard I can try but that measured about an inch wider so I'm not optimistic.

I have so much respect for all your car seat safety wizards; so much research and skill required. We frazzled pregnant moms appreciate you!

Last edited:

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are you meaning to put the Boulevard in instead of the TrueFit, or instead of the KeyFit?

If you use it instead of the TrueFit then you can do a seat belt install and try shifting it over. When you use LATCH it automatically lines up the seat with the anchors, there's no wiggle room. Often with a seat belt install you can shove the seat over a bit, so long as you can still get a solid install. Same with the KeyFit - using the seat belt see if you can shift it over a tad. It might be enough to work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC