Question Best cars for 3-4 kids

butterflymama7

I don't know if we'll be able to swing it but maybe, possibly, with some insane luck, we'll be able to get a bigger car in a year. I have an 8 year old so he fits in any car. But also 2 (and maybe 3) little ones. Extended rear facing. I'm figuring a minivan would be the best option. I don't know, but Id like to start looking around and I just definitely know that 3 across is gonna be right and a 4th would of course be impossible. I've never been "into" minivans. But the bigger SUVs are gas hogs. Can you help make suggestions?

ADS

1mommy

I was curious about the same thing. I was thinking maybe a crossover isn't so "minivan-ish" but isn't a gas guzzling SUV either. I'm curious to know what other options there are for 3 rows of seats?

TXmom2

I'm wishing for a nice minivan with auto sliding doors. Of course my oldest two keep saying "Mom, please don't get a minivan" LOL

1mommy

I've always hated the sliding doors since I got my hand caught in one as a child, my mom actually got a Honda odyssey back in the day that has no sliding doors (still has it). I'm very klutzy so I don't like sliding doors, lol.

featherhead

I've always hated the sliding doors since I got my hand caught in one as a child, my mom actually got a Honda odyssey back in the day that has no sliding doors (still has it). I'm very klutzy so I don't like sliding doors, lol.

That's what we have too, a really old Odyssey as that's what we could afford. It drives like a car!

jjordan

I super-duper love our power sliding doors on our minivan. In general you'll get more cargo &/or passenger space, better gas mileage, and a lower price for a minivan compared to a similarly-sized SUV. A small non-minivan option (as opposed to SUV non-minivan options, which tend to be large) is a Mazda 5. From what I've heard it is nice for passengers but not great for cargo space if you'll be needing to load it up with people AND luggage for trips.

butterflymama7

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll definitely need to go the minivan route. 5 people, 2 dogs and camping gear. We started having to leave the dogs behind with baby #2.

akcowgirl

Just FYI my best friend had 5 people and a 2012 Chrysler town & country with stow and go. There is still no way she could get her family, 2 dogs and a families worth of camping gear in there.

thepote

Just FYI my best friend had 5 people and a 2012 Chrysler town & country with stow and go. There is still no way she could get her family, 2 dogs and a families worth of camping gear in there.

Yeah - plan for a trailer or very large roof rack for that. Our Odyssey tows our pop up camper with all of our camping gear and the car is still full!

My back thanks me for getting a minivan.

And the Town and Country/Caravan are like 7/8ths the size of the Odyssey or Sienna. The Quest is like all the negatives of a minivan (to the extreme) but only like 1 of the advantages.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC