Alternative to the "Upside-Down High Chair" at restaurants...!?!?

M

moon47usaco

4719061218_1c2cc56cab_b.jpg

I am an industrial design student in Denver Colorado researching a product to replace the dreaded upside-down high chair solution for taking the infant car seat carrier into the restaurant.

The sponsoring company already makes a "sling" device that holds the carrier. I have a strong opinion that this product could use some redesign.

Please post any opinions you have about the subject... !!

Please continue reading the next post for questions i have about existing products, and then post replies about that if you are interested... =]

Thank you,

R

ADS

vonfirmath

I have put the baby's carrier once in the sling. But really? They only NEED to be in the carrier for a very small bit of time. I've never used an upside down high chair. (why is it dreaded?) I've put the carrier on the seat next to me or on the floor at my feet (I was next to a wall so baby was not in danger of being tread upon.) As soon as they sit up, they go in a high chair (when they will stay there) or my lap otherwise.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My understanding is that the upside-down high chair is extremely dangerous. When upside-down, it's wider at the top, making it an easy tip hazard, especially with the weight of the baby and a carrier on it. I have seen the slings but haven't used them, nor have I seen them often enough to really analyze them.

On the few occasions I had a baby in an infant seat at a restaurant, I'd set the infant seat next to me on a bench, or possibly on the floor if we were off in a corner or something where it wouldn't be stepped on. More often, I'd wear them in a sling/carrier on my front or I'd trade off holding with my husband.

jjordan

We've used one of the sling-thingies only once, and it was when our oldest was about 2 weeks old. So, over 7 years ago. I don't remember enough about it to have an opinion at this point!

With this baby we've had his seat on the bench in a booth (though sometimes the tables are too close to the benches for this to fit), or under the table/on the floor out of the way, or resting on a chair, or if he's not asleep then we sometimes just take turns holding him.

I'm having trouble thinking of an alternate holder-thingie that would not be tippy and not take up a huge amount of space. I'm thinking something with a wide base and a low center of gravity. But then maybe it should have little flags extending up sort of high so that people (especially servers with heavy trays or hot coffee who aren't necessarily going to notice something below waist-level) won't trip over it.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The sling thing doesn't work well with the onboard35. It makes it very upright for a newborn. Or unstable.

Our onboard35 also didn't fit in booths because it was to wide.

I didn't feel dd was safe when her onboard35 was sat on a chair. to tippy.

jacqui276

I always put my kids' infant seat on the floor or if in a booth, on the seat beside me. If you are looking to design a safer product though, something that is sturdy that the seat somehow attaches to, I would imagine would be safer.

katymyers

I've used the slings before and felt pretty comfortable with them, the ones I used always had straps to thread through the baseless belt path on the seat which was nice. That was with our Snugride 32 and 35, I would assume since Graco seats are so common those would work well, I'm curious to see how the B Safe we got this time around will work out.

Keeyamah

I've seen somewhere a style of restaurant chair where the part for big kids flipped back and left a spot that was very like a snap and go stroller. Left the wide part of the seat on the floor where it belonged and many seats actually clicked into place.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
I've seen somewhere a style of restaurant chair where the part for big kids flipped back and left a spot that was very like a snap and go stroller. Left the wide part of the seat on the floor where it belonged and many seats actually clicked into place.

They have these at Applebee's around here.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Although servers and hosts sometimes think it's nuts that I advise my friends and family not to use those upside-down high-chairs or sling contraptions, I still do it. I watched a baby's seat rip through one of those sling contraptions a few years ago (baby was fine!), and I do not trust them AT ALL.

I always advise putting the infant seat on the bench next to the parent (this is why servers and hosts sometimes look at me as if I am nuts). The baby is only in the seat for part of the meal, anyway. My friends and family and I just request a table/booth for one more than we actually have. The baby's seat is the extra person. :eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
(why is it dreaded?)

Here are a few stories about the upside-down high chair being unstable: http://www.babycenter.com/400_is-it...ant-high-chair-upside-down-for_2860611_670.bc

Here is the type of high-chair mentioned above that converts for use with an infant seat vs. as a high-chair: http://www.katom.com/202-877BLU.htm...E&zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=3&zmap=202-877BLU Here's how it looks with the toddler seat flipped under: http://www.usmarkerboard.com/Kidsitter-Multi-Use-High-Chair/42152

Here is another type. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/1/prweb10375907.htm

Athena

Although servers and hosts sometimes think it's nuts that I advise my friends and family not to use those upside-down high-chairs or sling contraptions, I still do it. I watched a baby's seat rip through one of those sling contraptions a few years ago (baby was fine!), and I do not trust them AT ALL.

I always advise putting the infant seat on the bench next to the parent (this is why servers and hosts sometimes look at me as if I am nuts). The baby is only in the seat for part of the meal, anyway. My friends and family and I just request a table/booth for one more than we actually have. The baby's seat is the extra person. :eek:

NOT nuts at all! I totally agree. The baby is a person, so why don't they deserve a spot? :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Those convertible high chairs are awesome. Stable for big kids - I had a toddler throw a MASSIVE fit in one once, and it just rolled back & forth, no tipping. The the blue part - hinged on the bottom rail - flips down and the infant seat sits on it cross-wise across the bars and straps on. It's really the only infant sling/stand I'll consider using, otherwise babe goes in the booth or on the floor. Restaurants are really the only place I use the infant carrier vs being worn, I would cover the tiny babe in food residue otherwise ;)

thtr4me

I would love to see more emphasis placed on "car seats are for cars". After seeing studies that show even full term infants having O2 desats when in an infant seat, I am not comfortable using an infant seat outside of a vehicle at all. The only time an infant needs to be in the seat is when in the car (or being transported to the car after being strapped in indoors).

With our boys, we took baby out of the car and held them when in restaurants. If baby was out cold asleep, I might lay them down in my lap or on the seat next to me, with a wrap (baby carrier) placed around them and my leg bracing them, so they could not roll onto the floor. Or Dh and I took turns eating if baby was fussy and needy. Once you get out of the mindset of bring the car seat in to restaurants with you, it is amazing the solutions you can find for dealing with an infant and getting to eat your meal as well.

featherhead

I would love to see more emphasis placed on "car seats are for cars". After seeing studies that show even full term infants having O2 desats when in an infant seat, I am not comfortable using an infant seat outside of a vehicle at all. The only time an infant needs to be in the seat is when in the car (or being transported to the car after being strapped in indoors).

With our boys, we took baby out of the car and held them when in restaurants. If baby was out cold asleep, I might lay them down in my lap or on the seat next to me, with a wrap (baby carrier) placed around them and my leg bracing them, so they could not roll onto the floor. Or Dh and I took turns eating if baby was fussy and needy. Once you get out of the mindset of bring the car seat in to restaurants with you, it is amazing the solutions you can find for dealing with an infant and getting to eat your meal as well.

I totally agree with this! Whenever I have new parents at a clinic, I try to emphasize that it is a carseat and should only be used in the car as much as possible. I do normally take my babies into the restaurant in the infant seat, at least in winter. Living in Manitoba it is not practical to leave the seat in the vehicle in winter.

thtr4me

I totally agree with this! Whenever I have new parents at a clinic, I try to emphasize that it is a carseat and should only be used in the car as much as possible. I do normally take my babies into the restaurant in the infant seat, at least in winter. Living in Manitoba it is not practical to leave the seat in the vehicle in winter.

I can definitely see living in Manitoba being a reason to not leave the seat in the car in winter. I live in Southern California, so my weather experience is just a wee bit different. Cold here is 50 :p :ROTFLMAO:.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC