Comparitive growing room in MyRide / Peg / Radian / Marathon

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks to EmmaCPST for doing up these pictures (pssst, Emma, post so I can rep you!).

These photos show the same child: age 5, 40lbs, 42.5" with a 15" torso and 22" seated height.

The Peg (with headrest in the highest rear-facing position) and Radian are installed; the Marathon 70 (Marathon G2 or G3 in Canada, NOT the Classic version) and MyRide are not but are at an installed angle for the photo.

The Marathon is obviously outgrown, the MyRide right at that 1" of shell height, but lots of room yet in the Peg and the Radian.

The Peg seat seems to be one of those magical ones that gains shell height when a child is in it despite measuring the same as the MyRide.

ETA: added Foonf/Headwise comparison pic as taken by Emma recently. Same kid, different day.

Attachments

• Peg Radian clearance.jpg
    Peg Radian clearance.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Marathon MyRide clearance.jpg
    Marathon MyRide clearance.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 124
  • FoonfHW.jpg
    FoonfHW.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
You're welcome! You did the hard work and posted them haha, I just took them! :) I'd say he's outgrown the MyRide though, there was maybe exactly an inch above his head, if that. I was really surprised though, I figured for sure he would be too tall to RF in the Peg with its 24" shell, but it's magical! :D

YinzerMama

Wow your 5yo seems to have more space in the peg than my 2yo. I'm going to have to unbox it and try it again. I can't remember if I tried him in it in the car. It doesn't install well at all in the spot I wanted to put it in, which kind of defeats the purpose of paying as much as it costs. It's a really nice seat though, other than being a little hard.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Any chance you have a Foonf too?

I do not, sadly. There is a Buy Buy Baby here that carries it but its a little far. It I can get there in the near future I will have him sit in it though!

If anyone wants to donate one I would happily accept and photograph! ;)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Wow your 5yo seems to have more space in the peg than my 2yo. I'm going to have to unbox it and try it again. I can't remember if I tried him in it in the car. It doesn't install well at all in the spot I wanted to put it in, which kind of defeats the purpose of paying as much as it costs. It's a really nice seat though, other than being a little hard.

I was SO surprised. He has always had a shorter torso (used the Cco til 3.5) but I fully expected him to have outgrown this since I knew he had outgrown Britax seats. I checked and quadruple checked everything to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong! I agree, the installation isn't my favorite though. LATCH I don't mind but the seat belt is the pits.

YinzerMama

I was SO surprised. He has always had a shorter torso (used the Cco til 3.5) but I fully expected him to have outgrown this since I knew he had outgrown Britax seats. I checked and quadruple checked everything to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong! I agree, the installation isn't my favorite though. LATCH I don't mind but the seat belt is the pits.

I didn't find it too bad with the seat belt. A little tight but not as fiddly as feeding the belt behind the frontier and checking and triple checking that it isn't twisted. But I just couldn't get it to fit on the jump seat of my ody no matter how I tried. I have seen pics of it on here with someone using it on that seat but it was cloth and mine is leather, and the peg base is about as slick as a hockey rink. It absolutely would not install tightly there. Since I'd have to put it in a captain's chair anyway I think I'd just as soon use the nextfit which is cheaper and has more padding. But it is a NICE seat. The headrest is so solid, not rickety like the new britax ones.

Pixelated

I do not, sadly. There is a Buy Buy Baby here that carries it but its a little far. It I can get there in the near future I will have him sit in it though!

If you could possibly get there while your lovely model is still the same size that would be SO very helpful!

fyrfightermomma

Yeah Joey has pretty much outgrown all RFing seats but has miles in the peg. No clue why but really it's a try before you knock it thing. It doesn't make sense but I like the magic!

YinzerMama

OK so I will need to get the stats on my kids but from this I seem to have received a non-magical seat. I think I will put that as my reason for return with Amazon. :D

I think my my kids are fitting in these seats as expected based on the numbers given on the comparison link here. This is a classic marathon and the peg. Daughter is a smallish 5yo, 3t pants, still fits in 4t shirt but moving into 5t. My son is a smallish 2yo, very solidy wearing 2T. I def. have more growing room in the classic MA in my car. My daughter is JUST about at the height limit for it.

Give me a classic MA with a 40lb limit and a little more legroom and I would be happy. :jive: (I think the ra55 is a smidge shorter right?? I put the kids in at at BRU and it was kind of a maybe)

Hope this attaches OK. Never tried this before.

Anyway my son MIGHT last in the peg till 4 but I feel like it's a little closer than I'd like. Nextfit still wins for me in terms of height but man the Peg is a nice seat.

This is all I have to work with right now but I'll have a nextfit and radian in my paws soon.

(The kid whose face you can't see is my daughter... )

Attachments

• Fotor0907160345.jpg
    Fotor0907160345.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 103

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
YinzerMama, is yours one of the new Peg's with the sticker indicating the highest RF headrest height? Because I'm looking at a pic of mine at the highest RF height (and I counted up, down and around again several times to be clear I had it correct. Mine has no sticker.) and your headrest appears to be lower than what mine is at the 7th click up but you're pic isn't straight from the side so it's hard to tell.

Editing to add pics.

7th click up:

IMG_1340.jpg

Pic that shows the back of where headrest is at 7th click, you will see 6 rectangle holes when headrest is at 7th click:

IMG_1341.jpg

Headrest all the up (not for RF, just for comparison to 7th click):

IMG_1342.jpg

YinzerMama

Yup, mine has a sticker with a line.

Wow yours DOES look way taller than mine. I suppose it's possible my sticker is in the wrong spot??

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yup, mine has a sticker with a line.

Can you take a pic of yours from the side? Maybe it's just the angle of your picture. And do you see 6 holes like my pic above? I'm not questioning you, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm doing it right even though I counted 8 ways until Sunday...LOL

YinzerMama

My camera battery is acting funny. Here is a pic from the back and that is all I can get now.

I do have 6 rectangles below.

If I pull it all the way up and measure with the stick flush to the seat I get 5 1/4 inches.

With it at the line I get 4, that's to the hard part, pressing on the fabric right near the stick, which I wasn't doing in the pic.

eta it's OK to question me. I'm the crazy lady with the non-magical magical seat. Or maybe I have non-magical kids. Man I was really hoping a second try was going to show me I did have a ton of room. I really do like this seat.

Attachments

• IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Pixelated

Kids are different shapes of course - this is a good example of that! I'm enjoying the show and the comparison pictures of how different kids fit the seat compared to others.

Does anyone know if anything other than the sticker on the back changed between the two seats?

YinzerMama

It occurs to me that my son is cloth diapered... plus being light might compress the padding less... might account for some of the discrepency? This seat isn't heavily padded but still... I feel like given the weight limit on the seat I should be able to my 2yo in and be like "heck yeah we're gonna get a lot of use out of this" vs. trying to convince myself that if I press just a little harder on him and measure a little less conservatively MAYBE it will last long enough... maybe... Pretty much no matter how I mash or measure it seems he has an inch of torso to grow before he has 1 inch of shell left.

Am I doing this right? You're supposed to squish and measure to the HARD part right? Not the puffy part of the cover?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC