Sure Ride has arrived at BRU Canada

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I checked mine out again because I was second guessing some things. Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100924887@N08/sets/72157635516387062/

- 6 year expiry
- the one I saw had a July 10, 2013 DOM, model # 37111435C with a manual numbered 25700911 11/12

- good crotch buckle routing to shorten it for a newborn
- odd top tether instructions about if you're using an ELR lap belt or forward of the bight seat belts, with no distinction in that paragraph about the tether being required in Canada
- UAS limit of 55lbs for the child (sigh, NHTSA final rule weight limit labeling has started to show up I guess)

I measured the harness straps and I'm curious to know if they are short compared to the newer US seats. I'll do some digging and report back.

ADS

Pixelated

Re: Does the Canadian Sureride have the short straps?

Sadly, only the bottom 3 can be used RF. Several manuals and seats were checked today at various locations. It's NOT clear in the warnings section, but then becomes very clear elsewhere that the bottom 3 slots can only be used RF, and the top FF. Pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100924887@N08/sets/72157635516387062/

Trudy suggested, and I absolutely agree, that due to the ambiguity on the shell about how that 4th slot can be used there needs to be a Canadian-specific sticker. All well and good that it says it in the manual but the embossing on the shell would suggest that it could be used for either (which is the case in the US). And we all know how often a parent comes with the manual in hand...

That being said I don't know how a normally proportioned child would actually fit RF while using the 4th slot. The head would almost certainly be too high in the shell.

I did measure the straps - I undid both loops from the splitter plate, pulled them through to the front, took them out of the chest clip and crotch buckle, and then held the two loops up in the air and evenly adjusted. I measured from that point down to the shell at the hip, and when compressing the cover I got 32". Not the most precise method I do realize but didn't want to get kicked out of the store for dismantling a seat :)

Last edited:

Keeanh

Thanks Jen! Those are the same pics I saw. I guess there's still some confusion out there.

Pixelated

I just took those a few hours ago. The confusion was because the warnings section doesn't state the US/Cdn difference, and the embossing on the shell doesn't give any instruction for the 4th slot, so one could assume it could go either way.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you guys have specifically labeled floor models up there? At BRU here we just grab the first one out of the box and throw it on the shelf.

Pixelated

Do you guys have specifically labeled floor models up there? At BRU here we just grab the first one out of the box and throw it on the shelf.

Trudy will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the same is done here. I did not see any labeled floor/display models.

I still don't know if we have short harnessed seats, or if there is a batch of short ones out there.

Dani_mummy

I emailed Evenflo to confirm the info about the 4th slot and the harness length. The manual online is correct- 4th slot if FF only in Canada. The harness is longer but some stores have demo/floor models that may have the short straps without extra loops. The real harness has 2 different loops to attach the splitter plate for length adjustment

AEmgee

hey :)
Which locations have them in stock or is it just the displays the came in first?
I still have not been able to find them in Vancouver, Burnaby, or Richmond, BC. The BRU archaic computer inventory will show 5-6, but that includes ones on order yet in reality as of yesterday, none of the locations have actually received any. I suspect the eastern provinces got stock first.

snowbird25ca

I still have not been able to find them in Vancouver, Burnaby, or Richmond, BC. The BRU archaic computer inventory will show 5-6, but that includes ones on order yet in reality as of yesterday, none of the locations have actually received any. I suspect the eastern provinces got stock first.

Alberta stores have had them for almost 2 weeks. It's unlikely that the BC stores don't actually have them yet - more likely that they got stocked without someone realizing there wasn't a display model out yet...

AEmgee

It's unlikely that the BC stores don't actually have them yet - more likely that they got stocked without someone realizing there wasn't a display model out yet...
That wouldn't surprise me given how disorganized/chaotic/understaffed the BRU stores are! However, short of going to the store and demanding to see the storage room, what can you do? There are only six stores in the Lower Mainland and the three I have contacted (with great difficulty, since no one picks up the phone) claim that they do not actually have stock.

Keeanh

Kamloops & Kelowna definitely don't have any, and don't have any on the way that they know of. Coquitlam supposedly had 5 last week.

AEmgee

Found one! Richmond, BC store had one, and apparently one only. There were none on display, but a seat new in box was located "upstairs". Date of manufacture: July 10, 2013.

Last edited:

Keeanh

Just got the notification email from BRU saying that the Sureride is now in stock online
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty=1&foreSeeEnabled=true

Except that it wants to charge me $201 for shipping!! Ha Definitely some sort of error there! Definitely contacting them tomorrow to correct that

Do you have a "0" in the first half of your postal code? I'm literally about 300m from the TransCanada Highway and my shipping is always quoted at about $200 because our postal code is V0E. The zero is supposed to mean "rural", even though a lot of these places are no longer actually rural. It's more like $40-$50 if I use a friend's address about 5 minutes away.

Also, TRU changed their free shipping thing to only cover the first $20 of estimated shipping so it's pretty hard to actually get FREE shipping from them anymore. I mean, really, what can you ship for under $20 in Canada these days? LOL You can get it brought in to the store for free, though.

Dani_mummy

Haha, yes I have a 0 in postal code so by Canada Post standards it's rural, but even using my sister's address in Kelowna it's still $47 AFTER they take off the $20 for "free shipping". I called Kelowna BRU and they do not have any in stock and the lady said she's not sure when they will be getting any. I have to go into the store and have one delivered to the store for free. Such a large company has such archaic shipping, so many other places offer free shipping, even on car seats.

biddyk8

Is BRU going to get in any nice colours for the sure ride? I was looking at it today but the one they had wasn't that nice a pattern, compared to the purple and pink ones they have in the US.

farrbabies

I'm in Kingston and got one today. Tried my newly 4 yo son in it. He is ff on 4th slot with it being quite high. He is two inches to rear face and is okay with the 3rd slot to do so. The closest crotch position is perfect. I haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC