highback booster in 2001 Huyndai Accent?

U

Unregistered

I need help! My 45 lb 43in little girl has almost outgrown her car seat. DD is a solid kid, not skinny or fat but very solid and big for her age. She's 4 years and 2 months old. We RF until she was 3.5 and it is already time for a booster!

I need suggestions for a highback booster that will fit in my 2001 Huyndai Accent. I'd like her to be in a 5 point as long as possible but I absolutely can't afford more than $100 because I need one for each of our cars. DH car is new & roomy...my car is the problem. LOL The middle seat in back is lap belt only and does not have the LATCH system. So I assume I need to use the top tether if I want to put her in the middle with a 5 point. DH and I are big people so there isnt a ton of room in the back. DH is rarely in my car though. If we use a high back with a seatbelt she'll have to be behind a seat, correct?

I was looking at the Baby Trend 3 in 1 Booster for $90 and the Evenflo Chase LX for $60 but I don't know if there are others that might work. The Maestro looks good but I've read that it works best for petite kids, which DD absolutely is not. I want to use something that looks more like a booster and not a "car seat" if that makes sense so I am not interested in something like the Nautalis. Too expensive anyway. I don't want to sacrifice safety but cost is a very big concern to us.

Thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you so much!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I need help! My 45 lb 43in little girl has almost outgrown her car seat. DD is a solid kid, not skinny or fat but very solid and big for her age. She's 4 years and 2 months old. We RF until she was 3.5 and it is already time for a booster!

I need suggestions for a highback booster that will fit in my 2001 Huyndai Accent. I'd like her to be in a 5 point as long as possible but I absolutely can't afford more than $100 because I need one for each of our cars. DH car is new & roomy...my car is the problem. LOL The middle seat in back is lap belt only and does not have the LATCH system. So I assume I need to use the top tether if I want to put her in the middle with a 5 point. DH and I are big people so there isnt a ton of room in the back. DH is rarely in my car though. If we use a high back with a seatbelt she'll have to be behind a seat, correct?

I was looking at the Baby Trend 3 in 1 Booster for $90 and the Evenflo Chase LX for $60 but I don't know if there are others that might work. The Maestro looks good but I've read that it works best for petite kids, which DD absolutely is not. I want to use something that looks more like a booster and not a "car seat" if that makes sense so I am not interested in something like the Nautalis. Too expensive anyway. I don't want to sacrifice safety but cost is a very big concern to us.

Thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you so much!

Hello and welcome! :) If you let us know which seat your daughter is outgrowing, that will give us an idea of how tall her shoulders are, so that might help with recommendations.

For a combination seat (a seat that is forward-facing harnessed seat that later becomes a highback then sometimes backless booster), the Harmony Defender at Walmart is right around $90-100 and has a 65 pound harnessed weight limit and I think 18" or so top harness slots. You also may be able to find an Evenflo SecureKid 300 on sale for that range.

I believe that the Baby Trend 3-in-1 has lower top harness slots than other combination seats and can be awkward to install. The Evenflo Chase only has a 40 pound harnessed weight limit, so it would already be outgrown. The Maestro only has a 50 pound harnessed weight limit, so I wouldn't suggest that for a 45 pound kiddo. You may want to consider a convertible seat called the Evenflo SureRide. While it won't become a booster later, it does have tall top harness slots and can be found for around $80-90.

You are correct that a seat with a 5 point harness can be installed with a lap belt and top tether and that later on when she is older and you use a seat in booster mode, you would need to use one of the side positions that also has a shoulder belt. :)

U

Unregistered

DD is in a Graco MyRide 65. There's maybe a quarter inch before she's at the highest position on the sholder slats. So she's just about to outgrow it by height.

I looked at the Harmony Defender 360 and it is out of stock at Walmart and online. I read mixed reviews about it so I was wondering if I should even bother trying to find one to let her try.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
DD is in a Graco MyRide 65. There's maybe a quarter inch before she's at the highest position on the sholder slats. So she's just about to outgrow it by height.

I looked at the Harmony Defender 360 and it is out of stock at Walmart and online. I read mixed reviews about it so I was wondering if I should even bother trying to find one to let her try.

If she's about to outgrow the My Ride, then I think the Defender (if you can find it) or the SecureKid (or even the convertible the SureRide I mentioned) will likely work for her. Right now the SecureKid is $94 on Amazon; I don't know which stores carry it for you to try first, but maybe Babies R Us? Good luck! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC