This explains it

glockchick

Why EMS, police, and firefighters think they should help people with car seats when they have no training.

Straight out of my paramedic book...

My jaw dropped when I saw that. I'm guessing there is similar text in police and firefighter literature.

Interesting, don't you think?

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't read it, either.

The firefighters/medics at my DH's department were specifically told not to help with car seat installs and had a list of local techs to refer people to. Doesn't mean that some of them didn't "help" anyway... But I think that was out of a sense of thinking they knew what they were doing, not because they had any training or had been given direction about it.

tiggercat

It says: "Show moms and dads how to use an infant car seat. Tell people about the horrors of being thrown from a vehicle."

Nice! Perhaps they ought to be taught first!

I am guessing it is intended for them to recommend/suggest/encourage carseat use back when parents usually just held their kids in the car?

(Maybe because I am on a touch, but enlarging it just made it grainier)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

DogznKatz

Can you contact Safe Kids and see if they might address the issue? Perhaps the author(s) could provide SK info for receiving technician certification. Also, suggesting to the author(s) that non technicians installing a car seat could cause liability issues for those following their manual.

glockchick

Sorry about the quality. It looked better when I uploaded it. But yes it says "show parents how to use an infant seat" or something to that effect. I tried to crop the pic so you didn't have to wade through a bunch to find it. I'll highlight and retake it when I get home.

I could contact someone about it but right now I don't have a ton of time to follow up or take phone calls. I'm working full time and in class 18-27 hrs a week as well. If I leave messages, chances are good I won't be able to answer the phone when people call me back.

I will send safe kids a message and I'll look up the author if I get a chance.

fyrfightermomma

Yeah everything I see says "call any local fire or police department to help you install your seat". I live in a huge city with numerous full time departments. In every city surrounding mine (big cities too) there are TWO techs. So please...don't call your local police or fire dept. look and see if they are actually certified! I hate being the only tech for about 100000k people

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC