WWYD-Given expired seat

lowrioh

Friends of ours gave us a Snugride and 2 bases. When I picked them up I didn't look at the expiration dates because their DD isn't even 2 yet but when I got home I realized they must have used it for their DS who is 6 and they have a DOM in 2006. I am not going to use them and was lucky enough to get a Keyfit and 2 bases from another friend.
When I picked the seat up from these friends I asked if they wanted them back and they said no just to pass them on. I am going to cut the straps and put them out with the trash tomorrow but I am trying to figure out what to say to them if they see we aren't using the seat. DH will be dropping off/picking up our DD at the same elementary school as their DS and will have the baby in his seat so it is a likely scenario. So, if they ask do we

1) Say the seat didn't work in the 3 across configuration we needed for our car (true) so we passed it on.
2) Tell them the truth about the expiration date.
3) Something else.

TIA!

ADS

MomToEliEm

Say that you took the seats to a local certified tech to check out, and she said the seats were expired and not safe.

#1babysitter

Tell them the truth so they don't have their kids ride in expired seats again! A lot of people actually don't know car seats expire.

BananaBoat

Tell the truth!
Maybe they had no idea & it will offer an opportunity for them to do some research on the seats they are currently using.
If they knew, well, that's ok too. No need to get upset, just let them know you weren't comfortable with using an expired seat since it's illegal & unsafe.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would tell them this: They didn't work in your 3-across, and so you acquired a different seat from another friend. When you checked the expiration dates before passing them on, you discovered that they were expired so you disposed of them.

Recycle them if you can - it's more earth-friendly and sounds better anyway when you have to tell the story. ;)

CMeMeC

I would tell them they are expired and ask if they want them back before you destroy them. They shouldn't be used, but that way you won't feel like you have to explain yourself later.

tjham

Tell them about the expiration date, but also tell them about the Babies R Us trade in program and offer to give the seat back for that purpose.

Mom2Connor

Tell them about the expiration date, but also tell them about the Babies R Us trade in program and offer to give the seat back for that purpose.

BRU is no longer doing the trade in events.

I would tell them the seat was expired and thus no longer safe to use.

AK11161217

Definitely tell the truth. Maybe they don't know carseats expire? My Grandmother did not know and I told her that they did and the next week when I spoke to her she informed me she threw away that seat. If people are not informed about carseat safety and expirations they may continue to make bad carseat decisions in the future that the information otherwise could prevent. Hopefully, if you tell them about the expiration, they will check their current seats expiration as well.

YinzerMama

I would just tell them. Just be casual about it. "Hey that seat you gave me was expired so I'm just going to toss it - there's a market for the covers though if you want to try to sell it on ebay. "

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC