Van seats with head restraints

U

Unregistered

Do you know of any seats for passenger vans ( Ford ); that have head restraints?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi there! Are you looking for vehicle seats to add to an existing van, or are you looking for child restraints? Does your van not have headrests, so you need child restraints that have head support? If so, how old, how tall, and how heavy are the children?

Keeanh

Is this the church van? Do you already own the van? There are newer vehicles that do have headrests, like the Nissan NV, the Ford Transit, and the Dodge/Mercedes/Freightliner Sprinter.

Are you looking for aftermarket bench seats? I believe such a thing exists, but obviously not approved by Ford, and quite expensive. I would think commercial / licensed uses might have different rules about modifying vehicles. It's possible to retrofit headrests on the existing benches, but again it's not approved by the manufacturer. As in, you find someone who knows how to weld and pay them cash to do it kind of thing. If this is your personal vehicle, I can help you with that. But you should investigate liability before modifying a commercial vehicle.

If this is the church van I saw mentioned in another post, I would have the kids in high-back boosters as long as possible. Those Ford Econoline bench seats are quite tall, unless you have a really old van. My 11yo who 5-steps would still have head support to the top of his ears in those seats. If the kids are all under 10, you will likely be fine without headrests.

Hijacking this thread as I am investigating similar options. Are there people on here that have actually retrofitted large passenger van bench seats with headrests? We have a 2001 E350 15 passenger van. We also have an 05 Armada, but we are adopting #7 soon (hopefully!) so we are going to outgrow that and have to go back to the land yacht. It has all outboard shoulder belts, with lap in the middle. So my options (I think) at this point are:
**retrofit the current seats with headrests,
**buy seats from an 08 or newer that have shoulder belts in all positions and retrofit those with headrests,
**buy seats from a dodge sprinter or similar and figure out how to install those in the van
OR ... win the lottery and buy a mercedes sprinter.

Any other ideas? I have looked and looked for something used to buy in the Sprinter realm, but we really need to keep it under $20k for the budget fairies to be happy. ;)

Keeanh

Hijacking this thread as I am investigating similar options. Are there people on here that have actually retrofitted large passenger van bench seats with headrests? We have a 2001 E350 15 passenger van. We also have an 05 Armada, but we are adopting #7 soon (hopefully!) so we are going to outgrow that and have to go back to the land yacht. It has all outboard shoulder belts, with lap in the middle. So my options (I think) at this point are:
**retrofit the current seats with headrests,
**buy seats from an 08 or newer that have shoulder belts in all positions and retrofit those with headrests,
**buy seats from a dodge sprinter or similar and figure out how to install those in the van
OR ... win the lottery and buy a mercedes sprinter.

Any other ideas? I have looked and looked for something used to buy in the Sprinter realm, but we really need to keep it under $20k for the budget fairies to be happy. ;)

I would retrofit the existing van since you already have it. As far as I know I'm the only one on the board who has done it, but it was easy. All you need are bench seats with headrests from the scrap yard. My favourite is Dodge Caravan / Plymouth Voyager / Chrysler T&C. And someone who knows how to weld. Cut the metal sleeves for the headrests off the old bench and replicate the welds onto your 15-p bench. If this is something you're actually going to do, start a new thread and I'll put in all the details I've picked up along the way.

Here are mine. Since I took these pics, I found another colour Dodge headrest that matches better so it clashes a little less now ;).

IMG_6952.JPG

Here's the original thread. It's not 100% accurate because I was still figuring stuff out then, so if you're going to do this we should talk more.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=199245

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC