Question What boosters and vehicles do not allow the seat belt to be locked for the booster mode?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Toyota. I know there are others- Recaro??- but that comes first to mind.

There's a good CPSPList discussion on this, that led me to stop locking my own belt. Basically the torso needs to rotate forward a little to prevent submarining and even with boosters the lab doing the testing found submarining when a locked belt prevented that.

I no longer recommend it EVER unless for very short term booster training or emergency needs. Harmony recommends it to prevent strangulation but if the child can't refrain from playing with the belt my recommendation is a HWH because the child isn't ready, not locking the belt.

mykidsmylife

I teach parents often, to lock the belt with new booster riders to teach them to stay in place. Keep in mind, I give out program seats so sometimes I have to put a young 4 yr old in a booster.
I have never read or heard this before today. I know that the ProBoosters says not to lock the belt but why?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Submarining.

In a program seat situation I'd consider it a tough choice, educate the parent, make them decide, and document it.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I was just reading a Vivo manual a few minutes ago and it said not to lock the belt.

Conversely, Harmony manuals always recommend TO lock the belt.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I was just reading a Vivo manual a few minutes ago and it said not to lock the belt.

Conversely, Harmony manuals always recommend TO lock the belt.

Maybe Harmony doesn't feel there's a concern when there are belt guides (armrests) to prevent submarining? Just theorizing....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Harmony states it's to avoid the risk of entanglement strangulation. In their minds I guess that weighs heavier than whatever increased risk is there of malfunction.

In my equation, when there's a choice of seats available, a child who's an entanglement risk is unready for a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC