Need HBB help...

newmommy929

Ok, so I was going to be buying a spare seat for my husbands car to use maybe 1-2x/week. I was going to get a combination harness/booster, but now I am rethinking getting that. This would be for my almost 6 year old, who is 37-38lbs and 40-41inches tall. This would be for small trips of pick up from school and would consist of maybe 15-20minutes most. So I didn't know if this would be a good opportunity to start booster training him or not. He would still remain harnessed probably 90% of the time in his FR85 in our Odyssey. I know that he would obviously have to meet the minimum requirements of the seat and what not, but wanted to see what you all thought.

What are some good HBB out there? Do I just get one to "get us by", or do I get a really nice one now that I can use as his main one when he is boostered all the time? I want something that is comfortable and has good supports on his sides, etc. Thanks for the help!

ADS

ohiomommy08

I just went through this with my daughter. She needed to be booster trained fast because our Kindergarten plans fell through and she's going to be riding in a booster on a day care bus.

We bought a Turbobooster at Target (we got the cute girly one!) and she's been riding in it since Wednesday and has done AMAZING!! She'll still be in her Nautilus in the vehicle she rides in 90% of the time and I kept the Marathon in case we need it in the van. She is about the same size as your son at 35/36lbs and about 41 inches. She fits great in the turbo! (Recommended by a tech). My thinking is that we'll use that for short trips and eventually we'll get a more "substantial" booster that will be comfortable for long trips etc. This was a good first step for us.

There is a pic in this thread. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=254982

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you have younger kids that you might hand it down to? (that somehow always makes it more reasonable for me to spend more, lol, really, I love the new Evenflo Right Fit, I just need someone to try it out and see if it's easy to buckle, so I have ulterior motives)...will you ever need it to be directly next to another seat? (Turbo is the worst for that, Right fit looks bad, some others aren't too bad, like the Big Kid or Harmony Dreamtime). I might just go with a good one with a tall back and better padding from the get-go, like the Monterey or Parkway (Turbo gets outgrown quite soon for many kids, not a problem if you can hand it down, but something to consider even for a cheap and easy booster that will still be in your posession for years, you know? The more functionality, the better. Right Fit is short as a booster, too, so I'm not just hatin' on the Turbo per se, just the Monterey or Parkway are so much longer lasting).

thepote

I would go with the Graco TB with the safety surround :)

I agree. For a new booster rider the Turbo with SS is ideal. Low cost, but still great fit and features. If you want to buy another dedicated booster later you'll know what you like or don't like about it before you spend the money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC