An Acura MDX with 5 carseats

bnsnyde

At kindergarten pick-up today I thought I had it tough. Taking 3 littles to get a 4th. But a daycare mom took 4 littles to get a 5th. The 4 were all age 2 to 4, and the 5th was a small kindergarten child. She said she had 5 carseats (Acura MDX SUV). I don't know what kind. And that 6 would fit in her other SUV (Expedition) since one mom is having another baby.

That's cool if all that fits. Does anyone know? Again I have no idea what seats she has. Harnessed, boosters, etc. No clue. I imagine all FF. I couldn't see in too well.

Since I have the 5 and truly want to know what fits a lot without too much trouble (we need to replace the Civic at some point and don't want a second van), it was easy enough for me to inquire.

I was just so shocked to see all the little ones pile out!

ADS

NVMBR02

The MDX is a 7 passenger and decently roomy,so my guess is she dixon fact have 5 child seats. I have only played with it a bit so I don't know how many different combinations are possible just that 5 seats are possible.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree that it's possible, but wouldn't be easy at all to load everyone. My sister has a Pilot (which is essentially the same as the MDX), and I can't imagine putting five seats in it on a regular basis. :eek:

I would imagine she has a booster in one second-row seat that can be easily moved to access the third row. Otherwise, I can't even begin to imagine how you would get five FF seats into the car, and to provide access to all.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When I put convertibles in the 3rd row of my MDX to test it out, there were a lot of acrobatics and quite a few new 4 letter words made up. It wasn't easy and there may have been blood as well. I bow down to those who have to do it.

NVMBR02

I agree that it's possible, but wouldn't be easy at all to load everyone. My sister has a Pilot (which is essentially the same as the MDX), and I can't imagine putting five seats in it on a regular basis. :eek:

I would imagine she has a booster in one second-row seat that can be easily moved to access the third row. Otherwise, I can't even begin to imagine how you would get five FF seats into the car, and to provide access to all.

I agree it would be a pain with younger kids. I have 6 kids in my Pilot a few times a week but they are older (2.5-12) and all but the two youngest can buckle themselves. Plus the 12 year old 5 steps.

I have done 5 young kids (2-4) and that was a bit trickier but not as bad I would have thought. No way am I doing it on a regular basis though.

canadiangie

Three across the 2nd row of an MDX takes some strategy, whereas three across the 2nd row of a Pilot is pretty basic (think Ody). When I have 5 in my Pilot I keep a hbb loosely latched on the 2nd row 40 portion. Easy access to the 3rd row that way.

In an MDX you'd pretty much need a Radian 2nd row middle so that you could tilt/slide the 2nd row 40 forward to access the 3rd row. I'm guessing she has a booster on the 2nd row 40 for the Kindy kid. (Actually the cynic in me is guessing she's using mostly boosters, but I'll refrain ;)).

Mags462

I got a 3 across in my FIL MDX with very little issue in the 2nd row.... i have a pic somewhere but it was a RF TF, FF TF, and TB i am pretty positive, and they were all independently tight. Although the booster had to be buckled by an adult not the 5.5yr old riding in it ;)

I have never seen the second row put up but overall the MDX is quite wide. It is MUCH easier to get seats in than my MIL Escape. I could see there being two boosters in the back, and getting 3 seats in the middle. It would be a PITA to load up, but i could totally see it successfully being done, especially since i imagine there were more boosters than harnessed seats in the mix. :D

April

I've done it in my mom's 01 MDX. Boosters in the 3rd row, radian(s) in the second row 60 portion, and backless booster on the pass side 2nd row. The hardest part is the 2 piece lap/shoulder belt that comes out of the ceiling for the centre 2nd row. And my mom's is leather, not sure if there are cloth ones. I'm thinking probably not, but the standard issues you'd have with seats slipping on leather apply.
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC