Is it usually this hard to get a carseat installed?

KateS

I have been trying for over a week now to call the state police to get my new carseat installed and the person is never there! I am about to just do it myself if it does not pan out today. The giant box is taking up my car and my son is just over the height limit for his infant seat. She is either never there or not available when I am. My husband and I work a lot and our schedules never seem to match with hers.
Well she just called me and said to come in! LOL
I was just thinking, if it's so important that carseats are installed correctly, there should be someone available a majority of the time who is qualified to do that, don't you think?

ADS

jennsmile

Have you tried reading your instruction booklet and installing yourself? That is what I do and when I made it to a check I passed with flying colors. It really can be done without an expert.

Jenn

natysr

I aplaud you for taking your seat to a tech, but I also agree with Jenn.

I think it is extremely important the parents know how to install their own carseats. And, most people learn by doing. So, I would suggest you unpack the seat, read the instructions cover to cover at least twice. Read the section of your vehicle manual that discusses childseats. Then try to install it.

This way when you do go to see the tech, you will know what your questions are, what areas you had concerns about, even what parts of the manual you felt were unclear.

Techs are also not installation services. They are supposed to install it for you, teach you how to install it, then they are supposed to take the seat out and make you reinstall it.

If you already practiced at home first, you will get alot more out of the experience.

Morganthe

Have you tried reading your instruction booklet and installing yourself? That is what I do and when I made it to a check I passed with flying colors. It really can be done without an expert.

Jenn

:thumbsup: great idea! Seriously, the manuals are designed to be instructive on how to install your own car seat. It's not that difficult as long as you read them and understand the basics.

What type of seat do you have and how old is your child?

My suggestion is to read through the manual first. Then read & look at the seat at the same time in a comfortable location such as your living room. Become familiar with all the parts & terms. Then take a good look at your vehicle to see where and how you want to install it (rear facing or forward facing, center, outboard, LATCH, 3pt seatbelt, lapbelt). Discover how your vehicle has locking or latch plate seatbelts or is it old enough to require a locking clip.

All you have to do then is route everything into the correct locations and make sure they're as snug as humanely possible. Read the manual for your vehicle too and see if there's a section devoted to carseat installation. It's a lot of work, but pays off in the end when you realize you understand the detail of your child's seat.

Seriously, whoever you're attempting to contact in the police dept. may or may not be certified. It's a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned. They'll tell you one thing and many times not understand your seat or vehicle requirements. If you aren't sure, they can be helpful. Or it can be a nightmare. If you've done your homework by understanding your personal situation, you're less likely to be intimidated by that uniform authority.

Good luck & enjoy :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have been trying for over a week now to call the state police to get my new carseat installed and the person is never there! I am about to just do it myself if it does not pan out today. The giant box is taking up my car and my son is just over the height limit for his infant seat. She is either never there or not available when I am. My husband and I work a lot and our schedules never seem to match with hers.
Well she just called me and said to come in! LOL
I was just thinking, if it's so important that carseats are installed correctly, there should be someone available a majority of the time who is qualified to do that, don't you think?

...and this is why we need the carseat jiffy lube... drive in, pay 20 bucks, we'll teach you to install your seat and send you on your way, no appointment needed, childcare on site... wouldn't that be divine?

Seriously, just do some light reading, give it a try, and if you have questions, post them here. Most of us have learned to install seats flawlessly without ever meeting a tech in real life :)

Frenchie

Installing a carseat can seem so overwhelming at first but it's really quite simple once you read the manual and just start playing with it. My son came a month early so we didn't have the chance to put his seat in but thankfully the tech was on hand at the hospital and showed/did it for my husband but he had no clue and neither did I how it was in there. When it came time to move to a new seat I read the manual over and over and then just started playing around trying to install it. It wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. I did make a few mistakes but once I had it in I read the manual again and compared all the pictures and got it fixed. I install all of my seats now. Good luck and you can do it! You'll have that sense of accomplishment after you've wrestled it and won lol.

KateS

Well I did end up getting it installed and I'm glad I did, it looked like I would not be strong enough or big enough to do it myself LOL
The woman was quite large and she was shoving her knee into it and using all her strength to tighten it. And here I am 5 feet tall and 100 lbs. :D
But you're right I should have done it myself and then just gotten it checked. I did think of that, after the fact.
I have the FPSVD (per the advice I got here, thank you!) and my son is 10 months. She stuck a noodle underneath it so it is ever so slightly inclined so he is not staring at the ceiling. I hope that's alright with you guys. :)
Thank you for your advice everyone, I did watch her do it and I saved the manual in case we ever take it out and have to do it again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A noodle is an acceptable way to recline a seat. But you said incline. Where did she put the noodle??? We use noodles so that children aren't staring out the back window, not to change how they're looking at the ceiling. If he was laying too far back and she used a noodle by the front of the car's seat, then she didn't do it properly at all.

She didn't have you install the seat???? Then she didn't do her job. She's not an installation service, or she shouldn't be. She should be an educator. Make sure she can get it in properly (such as knowing that a noodle would help, that you can't use LATCH in the center of most vehicles, how to lock the seatbelt, that sort of thing) and then show you how to do it and make you install it yourself so you CAN move it around and reinstall it safely. The only people I don't make install seats are those who are so darn pregnant their arms can't reach past their bellies. They get a get out of jail free card. Everyone else installs their own seats.

And size has nothing to do with it. I installed a seat last week that the lady said had taken two firemen each much larger than myself (I'm 5'2" and a size six) and I was able to get it in much better than they could, AND teach her how to do it herself. She was tall and thin, no doubt weighing less than one of the firemen who had done it before. It's about technique, not about size.

If you can track down that woman again tell her you want to be taught how to do it yourself, you want her to show you hands on step by step what she did, and you want to leave with a seat YOU installed. That's what she's supposed to do in the first place. What she did was inappropriate.

What car do you drive, what position did she install it in, and did she use a seatbelt or the LATCH? I feel we need to double check her since she didn't do her job properly.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well I did end up getting it installed and I'm glad I did, it looked like I would not be strong enough or big enough to do it myself LOL
The woman was quite large and she was shoving her knee into it and using all her strength to tighten it. And here I am 5 feet tall and 100 lbs. :D

One of the best techs I know is a Livermore cop that probably just tips the scale at 100# WITH her gun and gear belt, and a flak jacket.

Kimberly

scatterbunny

This is why the new CPST curriculum teaches to NOT use a knee in the seat, to only use light pressure with one hand, because parents see some techs using every bit of weight they have, bouncing up and down, and get the impression they can't possibly do it themselves. :( What happens then, in an emergency situation, when another vehicle must be used and the carseat must be re-installed? A technician's job is to teach the parent how to install and properly use the seat, NOT to install the seat and send the parent away feeling thankful for the help.

Melizerd

I've never used my knees to install my Marathon. I usually get a better install then my DH who's 210 and 6'4".

It's really too bad that she didn't teach how to install and unistall the seat. I'd report her for that since it's supposed to be part of the job. Whenever I had a seat installed they always uninstall it and make me and DH do it.

keri1292

Weight has nothing to do with a good install. You need to be sure you can install the seat on your own. Picture this...check engine light comes on miles from home, perhaps some smoke comes out from under the hood. Here comes hubby to rescue you and you're standing on a busy highway installing your seat for the first time. I didn't think that I could install my infant bucket so, I never moved it for 7 months. I had to drive everywhere. No fun.:twocents:

KateS

Well sheesh now I'm embarassed LOL
I have an '03 Corolla, she installed it behind the passenger's seat using LATCH. The noodle is towards the back of the car, so I guess that would mean the front of the FPSVD, because it is RFing...

Melizerd

no need to be embarassed. We all want to be sure that you know how to use your seat properly and that you're CONFIDENT in using your seat properly.

A noodle used at the seat bight (that's the crack) is an acceptable way to get the proper angle.

scatterbunny

LATCH behind passenger seat, noodle in bight (crease) of seat, all that sounds good. :) It's just sooo important to know how to do it yourself. I will readily admit I sometimes use a knee in a seat, or bounce a couple times on it to tighten that last little bit, but in many, many cases methods like that aren't necessary. Sometimes (especially for a rear-facing seat) you can simply push the front seat(s) forward and stand in front of the carseat and push down on it (on the top of the shell if it is rear-facing, on the seating area if it is forward-facing) while tightening the LATCH straps.

Is it top-tethered?

I bet if you just played around with it, after seeing what the tech did, you could do it. ;)

Melizerd

Simply it's not tested that way and Fisher Price says it's not allowed (Britax says it's not allowed on the FPSVD too).

You can use it when they're FFing

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC