Ford 12 passenger van safety

U

Unregistered

Our church has purchased a ford 12 pass van for a bus ministry. How can we make this work for multiple child of all sizes? What would be a good seat for harness or booster mode that can be adjusted on the spot for each child? As a strict carseat fanatic, the thought of this is giving me great anxiety. We haven't started yet, and no one thought about using carseats until someone mentioned it. I just want the children to be safe.

ADS

YinzerMama

I don't know what a bus ministry is - can you clarify who and where the bus will be transporting? How many kids max at a time? Ages? What is your budget?

Boosters are going to be cheapest and easier to adjust - will the children generally be of booster age? Are there shoulder belts in all positions?

U

Unregistered

The van will travel 20 miles from a small town to a country church. The van will have 2 adults and 1-10 children ages 3 and up. Most of the current children attending do not ride in carseats or boosters beyond age 4 with their family. They will have to in the church van.

MotoMommaNH

Hi and Welcome to Car-seat.org!

The only seat I can think of in which you can adjust on the fly and switch from forward facing harness to booster mode is going to be the new Frontier90. But those are REALLY not cheap @ around 240 each and not a rear facing eligible seat either (not sure if you will have younger kiddos).

You'd probably be better off with a few Cosco Sceneras, Evenflo Maestros and Graco Turboboosters that you can take out easily and re-install as you need them.

Like the pp said, if we get ages, and any other info you can provide we can better tailor a recommendation. :)

DogznKatz

If you will be transporting rear facers and forward facers, i would look at a Evenflo Triumphs or Momentums. They have a no rethread harness, and a nice recline mechanism for rear facing. You won't have to find a noodle.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Britax Pioneer also easily converts between harness and booster almost effortlessly, and the harness height can be adjusted while installed. It's about $175. There might be kids who still need a booster and don't fit in the Pioneer as a booster, though.

I think the best route might be to get some inexpensive high-weight harness seats (like the Maestro) and some inexpensive backless boosters, and swap them in and out as needed.

mom of six

Don't forget about the Harmony defender. It is EASY to adjust for forward facers and makes a great booster. I have used one in a Ford 12 passenger van and both LATCH and seat belt install were easy!! Has an easy up-front adjusting no-rethread harness. It is forward facing only up to 65 lbs in the harness and 100 lbs booster mode.

CMeMeC

Will you be transporting the same kids every week or you won't know until you pick them up? I would probably go with a couple maestros and turbos.

MotoMommaNH

The Britax Pioneer also easily converts between harness and booster almost effortlessly, and the harness height can be adjusted while installed. It's about $175. There might be kids who still need a booster and don't fit in the Pioneer as a booster, though.

I think the best route might be to get some inexpensive high-weight harness seats (like the Maestro) and some inexpensive backless boosters, and swap them in and out as needed.

Doh, I always forget about the Pioneer! Thanks!

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to check again, but I think there are both shoulder belts and also some spots with lap belts only. There are no headrests. I think once we get started we will have some regular riders and also a few riders that we won't know until the morning bus stop. I wasn't going to consider lbb because of the lack of headrests. Can a nautilus be used as harness or shoulder belt without removing the harness?

Keeanh

What year? And yeah, no headrests so backless boosters are out. I would buy inexpensive seats as needed depending on the ages of kids you end up with. As long as you have Target & Walmart nearby you should be able to pick up a seat with a day or two notice if needed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC