Will Target take back an opened carseat?

kphil

I just bought a Triumph Advance LX at Target tonight, but am not certain on it yet. If I open it to try with both my kids and in our car, does anyone know if Target will take it back if it doesn't work?

Now to go decide if I should have bought this seat or not ;).

Kirsten

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Yes, but keep the box, packign materials, manual, etc, and keep your reciept, and/or remember how you paid for it... if you used your cc, they can look it up.

And treat it nice! If you return it, someone else will end up buying it!

cpsaddict

About six months ago I bought a Scenera from Target. I installed it, but was not happy with the rearfacing installation(it worked great with the seatbelt, but not with LATCH and that bugged me). I had the box, all materials(including registration card that fell off while I was installing it) and my reciept. They would not take it back and they told me they had a policy of not taking back opened car seats. However, about a year prior to that, I bought a Touriva. I had to return it because the cover had a big tear in it and they took it back no problem.

SO, I would say it depends on the store! :rolleyes:

tjham

Gee, we recommend to everyone to buy from Target.com with the Radian because you can take it back to a real store if it doens't work in your car. Hope this was just one that wouldn't do it, not all of them.

krystin_21a

I brought one back the other day. Just keep the box and all that goes with it. Should be no problem. The manager was the one who told me to keep my receipt just in case I didn't like it. They have a 90 return policy.

Morganthe

Gee, we recommend to everyone to buy from Target.com with the Radian because you can take it back to a real store if it doens't work in your car. Hope this was just one that wouldn't do it, not all of them.

When you order online, it's easy to bypass your local's store return policy. The store HAS to return it when you process your pre-return online. It's easy.

All you do is visit your 'my account' page at Target.com. On the second column under the 'open & shipped orders' box & red 'Go' button, you'll see "Return Items".

Click on that: Indicate HOW you received it (as a gift or an order).
Then your order history shows up and it's pretty self-explanatory after that. But by the time you're done, you'll have printed out a return authorization page with a bar code.
Make sure you have that with you at the store. Customer service must honor it. Everything is automatic. You don't even need your original credit card with you.

I think it bypasses the store rigamarole and returns to the shipping warehouse or something. The store is only an agent and won't have to keep it. Which I can understand how it would upset them. :whistle:

IF you do not do this and just return it to a local store, it has to be a nightmare for their accounting and stocking departments. I can't blame the management for their reluctancy. I've returned a lot of internet order items to my local store via this method and each time, the rep is so relieved I have the bar code in hand. No fuss or muss or ruffled feathers.
hth :)

Last edited:

chelle80

My Target has never given me a problem returning as long as i have all the packaging and the receipt(or the card i paid for it with). I have returned i think about 3 or 4 seats to them, all of which i had taken out of the box and tried my kids in it, then tried to install in the car/truck and for some reason they didn't work.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
If you have difficulty returning something within the 90 day period w/ reciept, ask to see their written policy.

No one where in there does it exclude carseats.

rebeccah5

When you order online, it's easy to bypass your local's store return policy. The store HAS to return it when you process your pre-return online. It's easy.

All you do is visit your 'my account' page at Target.com. On the second column under the 'open & shipped orders' box & red 'Go' button, you'll see "Return Items".

Click on that: Indicate HOW you received it (as a gift or an order).
Then your order history shows up and it's pretty self-explanatory after that. But by the time you're done, you'll have printed out a return authorization page with a bar code.
Make sure you have that with you at the store. Customer service must honor it. Everything is automatic. You don't even need your original credit card with you.

I think it bypasses the store rigamarole and returns to the shipping warehouse or something. The store is only an agent and won't have to keep it. Which I can understand how it would upset them. :whistle:

IF you do not do this and just return it to a local store, it has to be a nightmare for their accounting and stocking departments. I can't blame the management for their reluctancy. I've returned a lot of internet order items to my local store via this method and each time, the rep is so relieved I have the bar code in hand. No fuss or muss or ruffled feathers.
hth :)

*mentally making a note of this for future reference*

I recently ordered a Radian online from Target because I knew I could return it locally if it didn't work for us (which it didn't). When I took it to the store they looked totally confused and after much head-scratching they finally told me they couldn't be sure that I had put all the parts back in there. :mad: I just smiled and ignored them and they finally figured out how to get my $$ back. All the parts were there, but I think they just said that because they couldn't figure out how to pull up my order on the register to credit me. I had printed out the invoice on their site where it prompted me to for returns and it didn't have the item # on it. :confused: I think their system is sort of wacky.

Anyway, yes, they do take them back but be prepared for the runaround unless you do what PP suggests. GL!

brooklynsmommy

If the box is opened though, the majority of the time the car seats go straight to the trash compactor. Target then gets refunded the money for it by the manufacturer. At least this is how it was when I worked there.

Jenn

At wal-mart where I work if we get returned car seats we must treat them as anything may have happened and claims them and return to manufacturer for credit.

mom2boys

I bought a Radian 65 and a BLVD from target.com and opened both and had my child sit in them. I then decided to try something else and returned them both with no problems. I even ran out of shipping tape to shut the top of the BLVD box and they still took it. I did have to get a manager to approve the BLVD take back because they changed their policy on returning those to the store after I bought mine, but she approved it no problem. If they do give you issues, try back another day or try another Target.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC