Need car seat options for travel/taxis

C

Cybercere

I'm taking my son from Washington DC to Savannah in a few weeks - we're going on Amtrak and then taking a taxi the 4 miles from the hotel. Because I'll have him, the luggage and a laptop, I am a little reluctant to bring the big car seat. He's three and weighs about 35 pounds. Are there any safe alternatives for him to use in the cab?

Thanks so much!
Cerise

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Since you'll be sitting next to him and right there able to make sure he stays totally in position (lapbelt on the lap, shoulderbelt on the shoulder), you could look at the cosco ambassador booster, that's good from 30 pounds and is very small and light. I've been known to put my own 3-yos in backless boosters when on vacation, myself :)
You might also look at the cosco tote n go. it's more of a pain to use, but is smaller than a booster, and would be better just in case you end up in a cab with only lap-belts.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We have the Tote-n-go for when I took my toddler on a business trip ... it doesn't fit very securely in most vehicles, but she's less than 30 pounds & not yet 3, so it was my only option as a single mom. I do believe that a booster sized to fit your tot would be perfectly legal in Georgia. I'm guessing he'd be at least as safe that way because the Tote-n-go is more difficult to make fit correctly -- both on the seat & on the child [the straps are hard to adjust]. Good luck & have a good time! :)

C

Cybercere

Thank you!

Thanks to both of you - I'm not as worried about legality as safety - I think I'm just going to drag the HUGE regular car seat along - does anyone know how SAFE a booster would be?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, properly used, a booster is very safe in frontal impacts. In side impacts (much rarer, at least), is when things get a little less clear with regards to safety (which is why the government is mandating side curtain airbags soon...too many dummy's heads flying out of side windows, unfortunately)....but presumably a child in a booster is at least as safe as an any adult in the vehicle, as long as the lapbelt is on the lap, and the shoulderbelt is on the shoulder.
What seat do you have? Maybe a lighter harnessed booster would at least be a little easier to tote around, and you might end up using it as a spare a lot. The Graco Platinum Cargo is nice, as is the Evenflo Chase or Vision or Traditions (same seat, different cover options...and definitely sits up on it's own when you put it on the ground...not the worst idea for a travel seat, I used to have a Cargo, but can't remember if it did that).

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC