Climbing into a Rear-Facing Seat

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am interested in getting a Nextfit when it comes time for us to get a convertible for my baby daughter. My only hesitation is the deep side walls. How difficult is it to get a kid in and out of the seat rear-facing? I know that there is a CarseatBlog video on Youtube of a pre-schooler climbing into a Nextfit, but it doesn't look easy -- at least not universally. I would have been petrified of doing something like that when I was a kid.

Which seats are easiest to get kids in/out of when rear-facing -- or for them to get themselves into when rear-facing? How old are they when they can start climbing in on their own? I know that the Zeus 360 rotates so that you can get the kid in/out, but the height/weight limits are too low for my comfort.

On the rare occasions that I've left her infant car seat (Aton 2) in the car and taken her in/out of the seat rather than taken the whole seat with us, I have found it difficult and awkward to get her in/adjusted/out. Is this something I'll just have to get used to with any car seat, or are there certain ones that make it easier than others?

We drive a 2010 5-door Subaru Impreza, if it makes a difference. Not sure if having a taller vehicle than ours would make it harder or easier.

Thanks! Any experiences with the Nextfit are particularly appreciated, since it looks difficult to me. I'd love to be told that I'm wrong!

ADS

creideamh

IMO, it's partly something you have to get used to (and no better FF, honestly) and partly has to do with the car seat. One of the many reasons I couldn't use a NextFit.

The Radians are known for ease of loading/unloading as they have low-profile sides. I've found them easiest to use in that aspect of all RF seats.

HTH!

Oh, and my DD is 2.5yo and I still put her in. She CAN do it herself, but it's takes her for evvverrr and uh, I still dress her in the morning, so that should tell you something about my patience level (duck...I swear it's my biggest parenting flaw) and how much we rush everywhere... :p

oliviacw

My daughter has been able to climb into her MyRide since she was about 2 - it's not a NextFit, but it does have really deep sides too.

kaharris83

My DS1 has been climbing into his seat on his own since around 2. We have a NextFit and have used it in both our Honda Pilot and our Kia Optima. It isn't a problem to load him in either one when he decides to let us do it instead of him doing it by himself.

One of the reasons I got rid of our Radian was it didn't have the high sides so that is a good seat for you to look at if you are wanting a lower profile seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC