booster seat for 11 year old

U

Unregistered

My 11 year old daughter, who is on the autism spectrum, has been riding in a backless graco turbobooster since she outgrew her Parkway SG (seemed to be getting too narrow). She still is not able to pass the 5 step test. At her last doctor appointment, her pediatrician mentioned that she will probably only gain another inch or so in height. She is currently 55" and 75lbs. Now even in her graco booster, it seems that it is getting too narrow and the belt doesn't slide as freely. Is that a problem with how the seat belt would function in an accident?

Also, if she is never tall enough to pass the 5 step test, when do I move her out of a booster? I can image continuing to use the booster for a while and socially it doesn't really bother her but it seems that she could always need one?

Thanks!

ADS

Baylor

I have a Diono Sante fe for my older son. He is about the same stats as you dd but 9. He loves how roomy the seat is and padded and it has two cup holders that swing out so they are not in the way.

It is roomy for him and he said much more comfortable than the other LBB we have had. It also has LATCH.

jacqui276

Take a peak at the Harmony Cruz as well. It is nice and roomy. My DD is fairly close in size to yours (54" and 68lbs) and finds it much more comfortable and spacious than her backless Turbobooster.

I also second the question of the previous poster for which part of the 5-step test she is not yet meeting?

Qarin

Does she have a growth deficiency? I'm wondering why the doctor advised that she might only grow one more inch. Looking at the CDC charts, it looks to me like girls can be expected to grow another 4-5" after age 11- obviously not all do, and there could reasonably be special circumstances where you know she won't, but you only mention her ASD, not other growth issues. It looks to me like she's right around the 25th percentile for height and weight, which should head her to an adult height around 5'3".

U

Unregistered

Thanks, I'll take a look at those seats.

As far as the five point test, the belt is too close to her neck and not low enough on her thighs. Today I had her sit in the car again and made sure she slid all the way back and the seat belt looks like it just barely fits correctly but only if she doesn't move or slouch, which isn't realistic. She looks really good with the positioning of the booster but her current one seems a little narrow through the hips.

My daughter has a list of diagnoses in addition to autism. She was followed by endocrinology for years and was on medication for growth issues. Also, she is adopted and from the information we have her birth mom was under 5' tall.

AustinMusic

I understand this thread is few days old, so please forgive my late response.

...the seat belt looks like it just barely fits correctly but only if she doesn't move or slouch, which isn't realistic.

Does this movement or slouching occur often? While it is most likely due to a lack of comfort, it might be worth investigating whether a booster actually provides the required/desired support necessary, particularly if there are any sensory issues involved. If the seat belt doesn’t fit correctly, then it could be possible there are some physical support requirements which need to be addressed.

If this is the case, I would recommend trying an E-Z-On Vest or 86Y Harness. We use an E-Z-On Vest and are very happy with it. It provides good support and certainly solves the issue of a poor fitting seatbelt where a booster cannot. Due to higher weight limits they can also be used for longer than most boosters which would also solve the question of what to do after all booster options are outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC