2 Questions...help please...

newmommy929

Ok so i have a couple questions I need help with. FIRST...I need to get a spare seat for my husbands car. I did buy on yesterday and it was a Nautilis for like $150. Which I am cool withand with the amount it harnesses to, etc. However, my hubby would prefer I spend only about $80 (as money is kinda tight right now). However, the seats thatbI have found that are $80 only harness to 50lbs. This seat will mainly be for my almost 6year old who is around 38lbs and 40inches. While I fully understand that most kids outgrow height before weight. My kids are SMALL. I have a friends almost 3year old who is as big as my almost 6year old. If I am just using this as a spare seat, maybe a couple times a week at most. Do you think it is worth it (not minimizing my childs safety by any means) to spend that extra money or do you think one that harnesses to 50lbs as a spare is adequate enough? At the rate he has grown, I can imagine that the "spare" would last him for a couple years. Then at that point I would feel comfortable boostering him for infrequent/short trips (as his main seat is a FR85). If I stick with a cheaper seat as a spare that harnesses to 50lbs, is there any specific one that is better?

Which leads me to my second question. When did you all start booster training your kids and
how did you go about doing that? I think that is about all of my questions. I hope that all makes sense. Thanks for helping me and answering my questions.

ADS

MommyShannon

If money is tight right now, I'd get the Evenflo SureRide. It can normally be found for around $80 on sale. It's not a combo seat, but its harness is taller than the nautilus and goes to 65lbs. I'd try it in the store though because some kids complain the harness rubs their neck too much. There is an issue with the harness in some vehicles if you pull one side alone. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246134&page=8

For boostering, I started around 5-5.5. DD did have a nautilus so we used that at first. It helps if you have a booster you can use on short trips with the understanding that if he doesn't sit correctly (no leaning, slouching, moving the shoulder belt), he will go back to the harnessed seat. My dd went to a high back at 6 years old with occasional periods back in her Frontier 85 harnessed. DS will be 6 this month. He uses a booster in our other vehicles and occasionally in our van. He just doesn't seem ready for 100% of the time.
ETA: I forgot to mention its not a combo seat so you'd have to buy a booster later but they can be found for about $50.

Last edited:

JlynnB

The Harmony Defender 360 lists for $99 at Walmart.com, but a lot of the stores carry it for only $90. That harnesses to 65 pounds and then converts to a booster.

YinzerMama

At going on 6 I am more than OK boostering. With money a concern I'd get a turbo booster. I second liking the sureride if you want to harness longer on a budget. It is nice and squishy which a lot of budget seats aren't and goes TALL... but again at that age I would be fine boostering.

Kel

I'd be fine with a booster if you DS is mature enough. My DD and DS were 5 when they boostered full time.

I "think" the graco turbo booster with safety surrounds going on sale at Target tomorrow.

lpperry

If you were talking about a 4 year old, I'd say go with the Nautilus if you are using it multiple times a week. I personally wouldn't buy a Nautilus for a 6 year old unless there is a reason that you need to harness this child for a number of years.

I am very conservative about moving my kids to the next "step" in carseats. My kids ride rearfacing until 4 years old and ride in a ff harnessed seat until 6 years old. At 6 years old, even those of us who do very extended rearfacing and extended harnessing are fine with a 5 1/2 or 6 year old being in a high back booster.

I think that unless you have a reason that your 6 year old needs to be harnessed, you could return the Nautilus and reevaluate your needs. There are some great high back boosters that will be $80 or much less.

If you want booster suggestions, there are a lot of people here who know more than I do about good boosters. I do know that the Graco Turbobooster is a great booster that fits kids well. It is also one of the least expensive--I think between $40-$60. We have one of these for my 9 year old stepdaughter. She used it in high back booster form until 8 and now uses it as a low back booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC