Intera issue/T.C.

Aprilmom

My nephew is in a recalled Intera. I had the same one and sent it back to the company because of a strap issue (recieved a new seat from them, recomended they do the same as their adjustment lever is actually broke and now the strap is recalled anyway.
My SIL went to a carseat clinic this past weekend in Newfoundand and a lady actually from Transport Canada was there. She confirmed these issues with their Intera and wants the seat for TC to test and evaluate. TC is actually going to give her a new seat of her choosing. The TC lady listed a few options and mentioned there was an 80lb seat but wouldnt rec. b/c in an accident the testicles would be crushed at that weight! If that's the thinking here, we will never get a regent in Canada! The TC lady pushed the Cargo for him
My SIL wanted my opinion and I suggested the Radian. My nephew is 3 years old 36 lbs, 38 " and has autism so he needs to be harnessed for a long while yet. They drive a 2006/7 classic-style Chevy crewcab truck, does the Radian install well in this vehicle and does anyone have any other suggestions? I did mention to SIl she may need to eventually get an EZ-on vest for him.
Oh yeah, they let her leave with him in the broken Intera!
Danielle

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:jaw: It's really bad when the misinformation comes from a place such as TC! GRRRRR.

I would recommend the Radian as well. It has the tallest top slots of any Canadian seat currently on the market and will last him the longest. My 5.5 year old still has close to 2" before he reaches the top slots in his Radian. The majority of the baby boutique stores are all carrying the 65lbs version as well, so as long as the seat doesn't come from Canadian Tire, she will get a certified 65lbs seat to use as well.

It should install fine in the Chevy. You can always come here and post pictures and ask specific installation advice once you get the seat.

There is a tech on the boards here from Newfoundland, so maybe she'll pop in and if she's close you can get some good advice and meet up with a more qualified tech.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:jaw: It's really bad when the misinformation comes from a place such as TC! GRRRRR.

:yeahthat: But gosh, the squished testicles literally made me LOL.

But interesting about the 80lb seat - does this mean the Regent is through approval? :cool:

Or is she thinking of the 86-Y? But that's only available with dr. prescription.. we don't have any 80lb seats - only 65lb ones.

So either this lady from TC is not totally informed on weight limits, or else she let the cat out of the bag on the Regent. :whistle:

(I don't have anything to add about the Radian beyond what Jen said, I'm in complete agreement with everything she said.)

bbartlettnfld

I'm the newfie Tech! And I know there is another clinic this Saturday in St. John's at Northern Medical Supplies on Hamilton Ave. I won't be there but someone will!!!

Anyway I have a Radian and I have never had trouble installing it with LATCH which I would say their truck has. Seatbelt could be fiddly..

I wonder who the TC person was? Also I think the testies crushing is bunk! If that was going to happen it would happen in a seat that can be reclined when FF like the Graco SS2. Oh and we won't get the regent till TC ups the Max weight limit from 65 to 80 and I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

snowbird25ca

Oh and we won't get the regent till TC ups the Max weight limit from 65 to 80 and I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Yeah, I'd wondered about that, but somebody posted here a little while ago about the Regent having been submitted to TC, but that the weight limit was an issue. :confused:

You know they might revise that weight limit in the permanent order next spring though - the 65lb one was just interim to give them time to get official wording & stuff, so maybe the final order will be 80lbs? One can hope anyways...

QuassEE

I wonder who the TC person was? Also I think the testies crushing is bunk!

Look at what we know the physics of car crashes--we know that everything moves towards the point of impact--forward and downward in the majority of crashes (and the worst of crashes.) We also know that the least "restrained" part of the child's core is their upper body/head--we know this from the design of seats, and from crash tests, and from the weight distribution of a child's upper body.

Picture in your mind a circle cut out of paper. The lower left is the child's genitals, the upper left is their head. In a crash, the upper left side moves left (or forward, in the vehicle) and rotates downwards--the same as your circle moving in a counter-clockwise direction.. what's happening with the lower left? It may well be moving towards the point of impact in reality (people aren't circles,) but it's logically not going to be the same type of forward movement as the head, for example..

In order for damage to the genital area to be caused you'd have to be hit from above, or the child would have to be upside down?

What do you guys think?

-N.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:ROTFLMAO: I didn't even bother to address the testies comment... it's just too stupid. Your explanation is great! :) :D

Mommy090804

Yeah, I'd wondered about that, but somebody posted here a little while ago about the Regent having been submitted to TC, but that the weight limit was an issue. :confused:

You know they might revise that weight limit in the permanent order next spring though - the 65lb one was just interim to give them time to get official wording & stuff, so maybe the final order will be 80lbs? One can hope anyways...

Yes, that's what I was thinking...would it be in Britax's interest to have the Regent approved to 65lbs, and hope the limit is moved up to 80lbs? A 65lb Regent would still have the same top slots and would help out a lot of people in Canada.

I am still a little baffled by the tethering law since most vehicles do not have a 65lb limit on the top tether anchors. Any word from TC on this?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I am still a little baffled by the tethering law since most vehicles do not have a 65lb limit on the top tether anchors. Any word from TC on this?

This is one of the reasons it took so long to get the 65lbs seats here. The interim order was provided to give them time to work out all the details. One of those details is supposed to be that they will require vehicle manufacturer's to raise their LATCH limits (yes, both lower and top anchors). That should take care of anchor limits that are too low... we'll see what happens next spring when our official wording comes out.

QuassEE

Dig around, and you'll find the information on the 2nd gen LATCH from 2005 or 2006 (can't remember which!) with forces equal to 65lbs at x speed crash (since the anchors actually don't support any certain weight, they are tested in Newtons--weight means nothing without knowing how quickly you were moving at the time of impact, and if you were hitting something stationary or hitting something moving away or towards you...

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Regent on an older LATCH system (I do have 65lb anchors in my 2005 Sienna, confirmed with Toyota) because I know that even those LATCH anchors will be just fine in the majority of crashes and at most normal crash speeds.

Now why can't Britax get the Two-Way approved here? :)

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC