Some news from KIM 2013 (this is really long)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
KIM 2013 is nearly done in Albuquerque, NM. We have a half day tomorrow with sessions, but the exhibitors have packed up today. There were a couple of big announcements.

It was touched on in another post, there will be the NEW, Safety 1st Incognito Kid Positioner. It is NOT being marketed as a booster seat. It's for the 8-12 year old crowd who doesn't want to be seen in a booster anymore. It's from 60-120 pounds, up to 59", and will come in three colors. Black will be out in the next two weeks, with gray and then beige following. These colors are designed to blend into car interiors. They're not making them by accident, the name Incognito is spot on.

At the back it's 13" wide, at the front 16", and from very end to end about 19" including the curve at the front. If you slide it into the car and go from the bight to the bend at the knee it's about 17". For weight, I have no idea. Ounces. Maybe a full pound and a little. Amazon says the angle adjuster is 6.4 ounces, so this may be 10? I'm guessing, but it's light. The back of the positioner is 1.75" tall, and the front is 2.25" tall. That is to keep the child's knees higher than their bum, reducing submarining.

I'm over the stated limits, but for reference (since we were lacking live 8-12 year olds, and even the Huggable Images dolls stop at 8 years old and 4'9") I sat in it. To describe it, image the angle adjuster and BubbleBum having a baby. Foam of the angle adjuster, belt guides similar to the BubbleBum. However, the Incognito's are larger, since Dorel found kids like to use the palm of their hand, rather than their fingertips like adults do, so the belt guide is big. That makes it easy to get the belt through the belt guide. I sat on it in the back side and center of the new Toyota Camry, as well as in the front passenger seat, and the captain's chair in a new Sienna. In all positions I had at least as good a belt fit as the car gave me alone, and in the Sienna I felt my belt fit was better with the Incognito.

Some wiggle room is allowed. In the Sienna it raised me enough so that I couldn't reach the floor with my feet. The Dorel rep had me reach under and slide it forward about an inch, and that was just enough due to its shape to lower me back down to both a comfortable belt fit AND comfortable legs on the floor.

When you sit on it it feels initially like it's very stiff, since you're expecting the usual give a backseat has. However, it's not uncomfortable in the least. I could ride on it for a car trip and think absolutely nothing of it. In fact, I'd probably be more comfortable in some situations because I'd not be readjusting my belt all the time. In others it'd just be unnoticeable.

The expiration will be in the 6/7/8 year range that Dorel seats have, it's not certain yet. It'll be $19.99, and available via Amazon for retail, and soon hopefully Merritt Manufacturing for people who usually order via them (they're special needs seats, program seats, I believe. I've never worked with them as a single tech, but often hospital based programs will. If you don't know of whom I'm speaking, order from Amazon).

Other news. The Ride Safer Travel Vest has submitted paperwork for FAA approval. Like the CARES, which has a top strap that loops around the back, the RSTV will have a top strap as well. With the G3 Type 2 you can continue to use the lap belt and top tether, but with the G3 Type 3 you must use the vest with a lap and shoulder belt. They will both be FAA approved (due to the top strap). This WILL be retrofittable to the current G2 RSTVs. This is expected probably in the first half of 2014 (they're awaiting the FAA at this point, their work is done). They are also working on a booster to go with the RSTV to raise the child up. Right now there's no way to get that FAA approved. But it would be nice because then the lap belt could be tightened on a <40 pound child, allowing the RSTV to be a very valid air and land option for lightweight older kids. For more average weight kids the RSTV will be a fantastic option for parents for air travel and car travel. It was stressed that while the vest does start at 3 and 30, they would much rather see a child in a five point harness until a more mature age, but they also recognize that travel or city living does happen and they do want parents to feel they have a viable and safe option for kids. It was suggested that for the younger riders, though, until they were more trustworthy, an adult sat with them to make sure they rode appropriately. The RSTV is more of a wearable booster rather than a wearable five point harness (though not completely quite either), so a certain level of maturity is necessary. However, for travel or city parents, it's often quite possible to sit next to the child (especially if you're in a taxi) and so it's not a big deal.

The G3 seats will have a more malleable metal for the lap belt guides, allowing for easier removal after a crash. Just pull that seatbelt hard (emergency pulling, not your normal undoing) and they will bend away. Their vests ARE approved for use in cars with inflatable belts. You can call them and they'll send out new belt guides.

For special needs folks, if you have a forward facing child in a spica or similar cast who *can* bend at the hip, contact Safe Travel Systems with measurements and they'll sew a custom length crotch strap to be used with the seat.

For school bus people, you can use the tether to a locked lap belt or the leg of the school bus seat. They have tether kits (I'm not certain how to explain them well without pictures, I do apologize) that can be mounted to the bus so that the tether doesn't move, doesn't take up another seat, and isn't a tripping hazard. This is NOT approved for use in cars, just in vehicles over 6500 pounds GVW (I'm pretty sure I heard that number right, and I hope someone will correct me if I didn't).

Let's see, what else.

Chicco is listening to feedback from parents as the longer term reviews of the NextFit are rolling in. The child's comfort about the shoulder pads, and the worry about the rear facing chest clip being too small are being looked at, and options are being considered. So keep the feedback coming, they are definitely listening.

Diono has vinyl covers available for $32.95 for the R120 for anyone who would like to buy one. Probably really great for special needs folks, as I believe the vinyl can be wiped clean more easily. Or for parents of reflux babies. Chicco has videos on their site for installation help.

Do expect the angle adjusters back. They just seem to be backordered right now, but hopefully within two weeks there will be angle adjusters and more seats in stock. Diono also has installation videos on their site.

Evenflo has their new RightFit in all five colors visible to view. Other than the fact that the top belt guide height is 18.5", the seat is fantastic in so many ways. The headrest lifts up and down easily AND the lower back support lifts up and down. So provided the belt fit on your child is good there are a dozen combinations that you can use to provide the most comfortable seat for them. The new lights are amazing compared to the old ones on the older style Big Kid. They face forward and each side has four LED lights. They can be turned on and off individually. Dual cupholders as well. There's also the Big Kid LX with the newly redesigned headrest/belt guides, and you can get some trim models (I'm not going to try to remember the letters, DLX maybe?) that has both lights AND integrated speakers with a plug to the child's mp3 device. There is a pocket on the side for stowing the device (and the cord is not very long) to reduce the risk of a projectile injury from their music.

Summer Infant has upped the weight limit on the Prodigy from 32 to 35 pounds. My notes don't say that that is retroactive, so I want to say no unless we have something else from Summer Infant. The handle can be used in any locked position, and they have installation videos on their site.

Clek had some interesting news for us. I'd recommend you read this part slowly. *Provided* the car's manual doesn't prohibit it, you CAN use the Foonf forward facing with the seatbelt and rigid LATCH. Since there is no webbing interference between flexible LATCH straps and a seatbelt, Clek has oked this provided it is not specifically prohibited by the car itself. This means instead of having to switch to a seatbelt install you simply add the seatbelt to your install. Double check your car's manual for information on this being prohibited. Their manuals will make note of at what weight you can do this.

They have also introduced a longer crotch buckle. However, it's not really a longer crotch buckle. It's better. It's a twofer. I don't have a picture of it, but a crotch strap has a buckle at one end, a webbing strap between, then at the other end it usually has a metal clip that either goes through a hole or slides into a slot. The Foonf has a slot you slide the crotch strap through to change positions, and you can easily remove it by sliding it straight out (don't worry about in crashes, you have to line it up to do this). So rather than have simply one metal yoke at the end, there is an upside down Y shape to the new strap. Each end of the split area has a different length crotch strap. Put the shorter one in for smaller kids, the longer one in for longer kids. That's it. Nothing extra to lose. Takes probably ten seconds to make the change.

They've redesigned the antirebound bar so that it's easier to access and install for parents. No more plastic caps, and the pins are easier to get in (unless you're a fumble fingers like me. I threw it across the room once, dropped it once. I think gravity was playing with me).

Their Crypton fabrics can be completely sanitized. So another nice option for either longevity (people who wants covers to look perfect for the length of the seat), or for people who have messy/pukey kids.

Their website now has a mobile version you can save to your phone's homescreen that has video links from basically unboxing to driving away with it fully installed and child in it. The videos are each short, so every step of the way is done in detail, and you can watch only the parts you need, not a full 15 minute video on getting it out of the box, what all the pieces are, how to put the bar in, how to put the base on, etc. when you just need to know how to adjust the harness height. You find what you need and off you go. If a parent does need help from start to finish, though, it's all right there and easily access while on a mobile device out at the car (provided you have a data connection).

Ok, back to Dorel. The Scenera will be brought back to institutional sales. There was a nice round of "yay" from many people on this. The Maxi Cosi Mico AP, their 5-22 pound infant seat, has a new way to get the seat off of the base. It features Air Protect and has 8"-11" slots.

They have their Air Protect + technology, for which they teamed up with Indy Racing to see what they used for their drivers. They found that a honeycomb foam material works best, and so their Air Protect + seats have this G cell full body protection that goes down the sides of their seats. The Air Protect is at the head, G cell is down the sides from there. Right now it's in the Elite 80 and the Advance 70 +. With their Elite 80 seat they did take the IIHS booster ratings into consideration and aimed for a best bet fitting.

A completely new seat was at the conference as well. The Nuna Pipa infant seat. It's rear facing from 4 pounds, and I missed the upper weight (I want to say 32 pounds, but I hope Darren or Kecia will correct me if I'm wrong). The seat has both rigid LATCH and a stabilizing leg. To install with LATCH (and it comes with LATCH guides if your seat has deep or annoying anchors to find) you simply click the LATCH in, squeeze the handle on the load leg, and you're done. After I played with it a few times and learned it, it's literally a five second installation.

They also allow for LATCH and seatbelt to be used. I went to change it out and release the lower anchors and was told no, just add the seatbelt via the lockoff. The lockoff was a new design for me. It's the way it is to eliminate either pinched fingers or broken fingernails releasing it. It holds tight, but it's much easier to maneuver than some other lockoffs.

The angle is changed via a simple foot that is either raised or lowered. The stability leg can be store underneath, of course (since the US crash sled has no floor it MUST pass testing without the leg). Right now there are 100 seats in the US at mom and pop specialty stores, with more on the way. $299 MSRP. The seat itself, the carrier portion, weighs about 7.5 pounds. It has a peek a boo window and a special shield that comes out of the canopy and connects down at the feet area (under the handle, not over) via magnets. That can protect against sun well, and most head on rain. The sides are mesh for ventilation. The infant seat does allow for euro routing without the base, though it is not required.

Uppa Baby has made some changes to their Mesa infant seat. It's from 4-35 pounds with a 32" overall recommendation. This is a recommendation ONLY, they stress far more the 1" of shell above the head. The infant insert has a recommended weight range of 4-8 pounds, but that is a recommendation and the manual will reflect that. They also allow for euro routing. They allow for up to 22" lower anchor spacing, provided the car approves of it. This is also a change and will be reflected in the manual. If you cannot get less than 1" of movement at the belt path with the lockoff only, you CAN use a locking clip in addition to the lockoff. That will be in print shortly.

Other things about the seat. They do not allow for the seat to be used with inflatable seatbelts. The canopy offers SPF 50 protection. The handle can be in any locked position in the car, however, the seat cannot touch at all the front seats. Not even a little. Nope. There are pockets for the buckle tongs to be stored in which the child is not in the seat. This is twofold. First, to keep them out of the way so you don't have to dig. Second, to keep them out of the sun so they don't burn anyone.

Cybex Just a little here. With the Aton 2 you must have the load leg flat on the floor of the car. If it's hanging or if there's a "waterfall" (where the seat goes out from under the car's seat, but then down to the floor after that) section, you must tuck the leg back under and not use it. You want to push the leg into the floor, get it locked, but don't lift the base up off of the seat. They have Linear SIP. There are small plastic wings on the handle. Simply lift the one nearest to the door and viola, SIP. They had a video playing. The plastic doesn't look like much. It doesn't look like it'd do anything in a crash. The video showed just how much it does. It's impressive for a 3"x2" piece of plastic, really.

I think that's about it. It's been a long day, and tomorrow morning is more conference and then I'm traveling for many hours, but I'll answer any questions I can. I hope Kecia and Trudy will also chime in to either correct any misinformation, add to what I have (Trudy, especially if I missed anything from Clek!), or any of their quick insights from the conference. What I have here today are from my manufacture panel notes and my memories from the first two days.

Wendy

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Some pictures of the Incognito.

The prototype colors. Beige and gray will change slightly to be more in line with car interiors.

9617603363_406edd8bd8_z.jpg

The belt guide. It opens toward the front of the car.

9620840040_ae3d8af215_z.jpg

The *current* underside. This will change a bit between now and production (not in size or shape, but you'll note the lack of labels or instructions).

9617604137_c0b69339bd_z.jpg

cowgirlsmommy

Thanks for the updates! I just wish we could get some clarification about vehicle manufacturers allowing LATCH and seat belt being used together. I can't find anything prohibiting it in my Dodge grand caravan manual yet people say Dodge doesn't allow it.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Thanks for the updates. I don't think Betsey knew where to start when I asked her to share stuff with me last night. Now I know why. :)

Last edited:

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Thanks for all the updates!!!
I hope the Pipa does well, I fell in love with that seat at lifesavers! If only I were having more babies...

Clek CPST

I just wanted to clarify about the Crypton super fabrics - the foonf covers which are Crypton fabrics have care instructions which would prevent someone from being able to truly sanitize their actual car seat cover. My comment was intended to be an explanation of Crypton fabric in general and to show how impermeable it is - that nothing can penetrate in to the fibers of the fabric making it possible to easily clean the cover without fear of stains or anything being trapped. I apologize if my choice of words made it sound like the Foonf cover itself could be sanitized. Anyone who has further questions is welcome to contact me. :)

Chila88

Was their any update from Chicco about the Nextfit's Canadian release? I'm up here tapping my foot impatiently ;)

Last edited:

heather13619

It's nice to hear Dorel is taking the IIHS ratings to heart and trying to do better. It'd be lovely if somewhere down the line they change the shell of the AOE (or get rid of it :p).

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Did anyone mention to Evenflo that the rightfit is like the best thing ever, EXCEPT for the fact that it's so short, it's almost impossible to use? If it went 2 inches taller, it would be awesome, and I'm ticked, because my kids desperately want them, but i can't justify spending $90 on something when we can't even use it since the belt giuides are about the same as theharness height we harness to and using it backless negates the cool lights, which is the whole purpose. I try not to complain too much, but this is seriously annoying.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I commented that it was short, yes. It makes more sense when you realize (or are told, as I was) that it's the old Evenflo Confidence booster back. :) It's not a totally new seat. I think it's awesome for the short torsoed kiddos, but beyond that nope. And I said as much.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC