Harmony Folding Booster review with lots of pictures + video!

PikkuMyy

We've had this seat for about a month now. I finally got a chance to take pictures/video of the seat in use. Overall, I like it, but no seat is perfect.

My vehicle is a 2008 Mazda 5. I have not been able to test this booster in a 3 across situation. One of the reasons I got the Mazda 5 was to get away from the 3 across dilemma in my old car. ;)

My 6.5 year old son in the 3rd row of the Mazda 5. The Harmony Folding Booster is *incompatible* in the 3rd row, vehicle head restraint in place or not!
IMG_3008_zps2924c09b.jpg

This is why it's incompatible with my vehicle:

IMG_3010_zpsf2d664eb.jpg

:eek: Holy bunching Batman!

Video to show just how badly the seat belt gets stuck in the guide:

th_MVI_3014_zpse33f8fe6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My son in a 2nd row captain's seat, being oh so cooperative:

IMG_3015_zps4aa21d59.jpg

Good belt fit! :thumbsup:

IMG_3018_zpsac1e83e6.jpg

IMG_3022_zps1b974560.jpg

Pretending to be asleep. The head rest looks high. Not sure if he slouched a bit...

The booster is also incompatible in the second row when the head restraint is removed. I played with seat angle and position to no avail. Thus, the head restraint stays. It does push the head rest of the booster seat forward a bit.

IMG_3025_zpsbe9fd87a.jpg

Even with the vehicle head restraint in place, I had to play with the seat angle before I got it to work properly. This is what happened before I found a good angle:

th_MVI_3023_zpscc290324.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(This video was supposed to show how well the booster worked in this position. ;) It didn't go as planned.)

Second try!

th_MVI_3024_zpsed0dcd8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
ADS

PikkuMyy

Close up of the belt guide:

IMG_3026_zpsdbe93ee5.jpg

Back of the seat:

IMG_3027_zps3296e3ba.jpg

I'd say that the top belt guide is between 19.25" and 19.5" high. Not terribly high considering that this booster does not turn into a NBB.

IMG_3030_zps4058ee80.jpg

Seat depth, about 12.5"

IMG_3031_zpsa01006a2.jpg

Seat width, about 14"

IMG_3032_zpsaa2a51c0.jpg

Width at armrests, about 17.5"

IMG_3033_zpsc33f90cd.jpg

Seat width on underside, about 14"

IMG_3034_zps10dd75bb.jpg

EPS foam on head wings, back support and under child's bottom:

IMG_3042_zpsd2cf0f73.jpg

IMG_3044_zpsd7b13c72.jpg

IMG_3046_zps81502c28.jpg

PikkuMyy

To fold:

#1 Remove head rest.

When removing the head rest for folding, you must pull up on the grey handle while pushing up this tab at the back of the seat:

IMG_3029_zps6cf85835.jpg

#2 Fold head rest.

You must first open the snaps on the head rest cover.

IMG_3035_zpse5613090.jpg

Then pull on these grey tabs and push the head wings inward.

IMG_3036_zps6ad92e7c.jpg

#3 Fold bottom half

Pull on grey handle at the back of the seat and fold.

IMG_3037_zpsb36729b2.jpg

Voila!

IMG_3038_zpsc9cfc5cb.jpg

IMG_3040_zpse31a117a.jpg

I was even able to stuff the cup holder in between!

This strap comes over and keeps the seat closed in its folded position:

IMG_3041_zpsfc4a3c19.jpg

I bought the Harmony Folding Booster for an upcoming trip in October. I'm not sure that it will fit as carry-on because the dimensions according to Harmony are 17.5"x16"x11". Delta, who we're flying with, says their max carry-on dimensions are 22"x14"x9". I will be packing the Bubble Bum just in case the belt guides are incompatible in our rental van, but would rather have my 6 year old in a high back booster for the 1.5 hour drive from the Tampa airport to our final destination.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow! Great pictures!

I just may have to get one of these. I need to find one in store, though. Not one of my local Walmarts (three stores) sells it.

PikkuMyy

Wow! Great pictures!

I just may have to get one of these. I need to find one in store, though. Not one of my local Walmarts (three stores) sells it.

None of my local Walmarts sell it either. There's one about 45 minutes away, via a toll road, that sells it. I ordered mine online when it was still in stock.

Thanks for your excellent review!
By the way, don't ask too much to this booster; beside the Nautilus (in booster mode), I don't know ANY other booster that are compatible in the 3rd row of our 2006 mazda5.
Did anyone tried the harmony folding booster in a sienna pre-2011, 3rdrow, middle seat? I'm wondering if it coulf fit there.

Stelvis

These are down to $33 from $50! At that price it is a great little seat. We loved ours for vacation, we were able to gate check it in the original box w/carry handle (it did NOT fit in the overhead bin), and it fit DS well.

PikkuMyy

These are down to $33 from $50! At that price it is a great little seat. We loved ours for vacation, we were able to gate check it in the original box w/carry handle (it did NOT fit in the overhead bin), and it fit DS well.

I paid $33 for it. :) Nothing to loose! I will be sure to bring the box so we can gate check.

PikkuMyy

Thanks for posting! It's not a very deep seat.

Not deep at all. I guess with the convenience of it folding into a small-ish form, you have to loose something. My friend's 7 year old daughter fell asleep in it when they were with us a few weeks ago and she kept pulling up her legs. :eek: I pulled over to fix that issue and she just kept pulling them back up. I even put towels/soft bag under her feet for support. It didn't help. I strongly dislike transporting other people's booster age children.

PikkuMyy

We're leaving for FL tomorrow morning! Now I'm second guessing my plans for bringing this booster along.

My son has been telling me lately that he prefers his harnessed seats and requested a harness even for travel. I can get my hands on a SecureKid (if he still fits the harness) but would that be ridiculous? He'll be 7 in December.

Also, I just pulled out the box and it looks so ridiculous attached to my rolling hand luggage. I'm 99% positive it won't fit in the overhead compartment. Should I check the booster in the original box at check-in, ditch the box and take just the folded booster to the gate, or take the booster in its box to the gate? I already packed a backup Bubblebum in my hand luggage in case the Harmony guides don't work well in the rental. We have to drive 1+ hour from Tampa to Anna Maria Island and we'll be making a trip to Lego Land (2+ hours?) at some point.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Considering it is marketed for travel, incompatibility could be a big issue for some users.

glockchick

Also, I just pulled out the box and it looks so ridiculous attached to my rolling hand luggage. I'm 99% positive it won't fit in the overhead compartment. Should I check the booster in the original box at check-in, ditch the box and take just the folded booster to the gate, or take the booster in its box to the gate?

Ditch the box and take the folded booster to the gate. It fits perfectly in the overhead storage. I used one for our trip in July. :)

PikkuMyy

Ditch the box and take the folded booster to the gate. It fits perfectly in the overhead storage. I used one for our trip in July. :)

Will do! :) I spoke to Kecia on the phone earlier and that was her suggestion as well. I tend to over think these things...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC