Vintage car seat collection

ADS

YinzerMama

We had that Cosco booster! The little white one, 1971. I don't remember ever using it in a car, I used to sit in it in the house and when we went fishing with my brother's friend's dad. Was it actually meant to go in a car?? Seems like it would have been ridiculously tippy.

thekatie

I love this! It's so neat to see how carseats have changed. It's as drastic a change as vehicles themselves! Thanks :)

classicseats

We had that Cosco booster! The little white one, 1971. I don't remember ever using it in a car, I used to sit in it in the house and when we went fishing with my brother's friend's dad. Was it actually meant to go in a car?? Seems like it would have been ridiculously tippy.

No, really, its a car seat, the lap belt goes thru the holes in the sides of the seat. I even have a pic of it in a catalog somewhere?

YinzerMama

No, really, its a car seat, the lap belt goes thru the holes in the sides of the seat. I even have a pic of it in a catalog somewhere?

Wow. I am going to have to ask where it came from. I think we had a lot of stuff handed down from an uncle and a cousin who were born in 67-69. I really don't think we ever used it in the car... I can't imagine them using it, either. How strange!

2BunniesMommy

Cool!

I am quite certain my nephew born in 1981 had the Bobby Mac Deluxe. Do you happen to have a manual for that one? Just wonder if it was ok to use without the shield. I loved it when my sister would pick me up from Kindergarten and my nephew was staying with my mom. She would let me ride in my nephew's seat. I remember her saying it was ok until I got to 40lbs. My love of car seats started pretty young. :)

classicseats

Wow. I am going to have to ask where it came from. I think we had a lot of stuff handed down from an uncle and a cousin who were born in 67-69. I really don't think we ever used it in the car... I can't imagine them using it, either. How strange!

Here you go...

Attachments

• ward71.jpg
    ward71.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 58

classicseats

So where do you store all those seats? :p

Room above my garage. Fitting place.
Cool!

I am quite certain my nephew born in 1981 had the Bobby Mac Deluxe. Do you happen to have a manual for that one? Just wonder if it was ok to use without the shield. I loved it when my sister would pick me up from Kindergarten and my nephew was staying with my mom. She would let me ride in my nephew's seat. I remember her saying it was ok until I got to 40lbs. My love of car seats started pretty young. :)

No. You should always use the shield FF. But you were lucky to get to ride in it!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Awesome trip down memory lane! I have owned many of those seats....but my all time favorite has to be the Strolee line. Just loved their baby gear!

msg221

Ugh! Black vinyl! I just cringe at the thought of that in Phoenix during the summer!

Awesome trip down memory lane! I have owned many of those seats....but my all time favorite has to be the Strolee line. Just loved their baby gear!

My nephew was born in 1983 and I am pretty sure he had a Strolee car seat in my parents truck. It was very cute actually. Light blue fabric (no vinyl -I wouldn't let my mom get vinyl!) with navy blue pin stripes and it had an OHS. It ended up being used for my niece too by her parents, and she was 7.5 years younger. Oops, that was probably a no. I have a photo of her playing with it in the house. No pics of either of them in the car though!

Cryssy Jane

my infant seat: (1986) Evenflo Dyn-o-mite infanseat
my toddler seat: (1990)Fisher-Price T-shield
and I want to say I then went into something like this:(1992ish when my little sister got the t shield) Gerry Booster

Boy have we come a long way.

classicseats

my infant seat: (1986) Evenflo Dyn-o-mite infanseat
my toddler seat: (1990)Fisher-Price T-shield
and I want to say I then went into something like this:(1992ish when my little sister got the t shield) Gerry Booster

Boy have we come a long way.

We sure have come a long way! I had a seat like the Teddy Tot or more likely the kantwet. Don't remember it, only know because of an old photo. And I recently found the armrest in my parents house! No seat though?

krasota

Wow! I never realized that was a carseat booster, either. I remember sitting in one . . . maybe at one of my grandmothers' homes. Sometimes used it at the kitchen table, but never in the car.

classicseats

After 25 years of collecting, it's kind of gotten out of control. I'm thinking now that sometime down the road I'm going to have to find some kind of museum, car or transportation to hand it all over to. At least the really nice ones. But that is many years from now. I still enjoy the hunt!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
After 25 years of collecting, it's kind of gotten out of control. I'm thinking now that sometime down the road I'm going to have to find some kind of museum, car or transportation to hand it all over to. At least the really nice ones. But that is many years from now. I still enjoy the hunt!

Remember to send one to your birthday buddy.

YinzerMama

Well I confirmed from my dad that ours was never used in our car and he looked at me like I was from Mars when I said it was a booster seat for the car. :) He has no idea where it came from. He no longer has it but he does still have the potty seat my brother and I used which was also a hand-me-down from the 60s.

mom of six

My brother and I used those Cosco boosters in the car... but only on long trips.:eek:

That would have been in like 1976-1979ish.

If I remember correctly, my parents would lay our unrolled sleeping bags on the seat first (to save space in the trunk) then set those seats on top. Then we'd buckle up. We didn't use seat belts on a regular basis until I was 10 and mom's best friend was in a car accident. Up until that point we only used them on long trips.:eek: I do remember that in retrospect those seats gave a pretty good belt fit, touching thighs and hips. And the height of the seat was adjustable.:dance:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC