Question help!! (RF Radian in 02 Civic)

U

Unregistered

Just wondering about installing thw diono radian in my 4 door 2002 civic rearfacing without the front seats umcomfortably close to the steering wheel and dashboard. My son is 6 montjs old. 17lbs and 26.5 ".

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Re: help!!

Hello and welcome to car-seat.org :)

I have an 03 Civic and the Radian installs very reclined in all positions.

I currently have it behind the passenger for my 3 year old, installed with an angle adjuster to make it more upright -- that's a chunk of foam made specifically for the Radian. However, the front seat is still quite cramped.

I *think* I have put in in the centre and it is suitably reclined for a younger child. Here's a picture of it in the centre with the angle adjuster, with a decent amount of room in the front. http://www.flickr.com/photos/100924887@N08/9604507790/

The Radian does allow firm bracing against the front seats, and an 02 Civic does as well as you do not have advanced air bags.

I highly recommend getting an angle adjuster (about $12) and things should improve markedly.

Diono says that the angle ajuster is recommended in Canada when the child is older than 12 months. Would you recommend it before 1 yo?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Diono has allowed it before one year provided the child has head control. I would assume that's the case for all human children, geographic boundaries not an issue. :)

:spit: Thanks for the giggle Wendy. Diono has actually changed it on their Canadian site too.
For use only with rear-facing Radian seats and with child who has complete head control and can sit up unassisted.

It's SO reclined in the Civic that even with the angle adjuster in the centre it's probably reclined enough for a 6 month old, but I'm lousy at judging that in photos and I have no small child to try it with, and didn't use it in that vehicle at that age -- and that car won't be back for a few days even to try anything in it again!

OP, is your child sitting up? You could also avoid the angle adjuster for right now, install it in the centre, and brace it on the two front seats to get a bit more space. Please post some pictures, it will help us help you a bit better :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC