High Back vs. Backless Booster for 5 year old with Autism/low tone

M

MoxieandPixie

Looking for info. for my best friend. Her daughter just turned 5 (less than a month ago) and just hit 40lbs. She is on the taller side, has Autism (high functioning), and mild low muscle tone (gets OT and PT since 2 years old). Her daughter wants to be in a backless booster (and she may fit). She still fits all the requirements to be in her Graco Nautilus. My friend is thinking of moving her to it. Any articles on high back (with 5 pt. harness or seatbelt) and backless booster for children with low muscle tone?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Welcome!

I don't know of any articles, but the point of a booster is to position the belt properly. It's unusual for a 5 year old to sit properly 100% of the time in a backless booster WITHOUT any neurological or physical conditions causing difficulty.

In general, I prefer to see neurotypical children without any physical challenges harnessed until 5 1/2 to 7 years old when they are typically ready to sit in a high backed booster properly 100% of the time (physically and neurologically.) Then there are advantages of comfort and positioning to using a high-backed booster as long as the child fits it.

In a case of both physical and neurological special needs I'd absolutely want to keep the child harnessed quite a bit longer; the child might even need a special needs harnessed seat if the low tone is severe. Then I'd want a high-back booster to aid positioning and prevent fatigue as long as possible or until the need was outgrown.

Lovatic24

I agree with Ketchupqueen. She might tire easily because of low tone and not sit in the correct position. Keep her in the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC