Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Accident/car seat replacement question

So I got into an accident in my less-than-3-weeks-old brand new Hyundai Entourage this morning. I was turning left into my dd's preschool parking lot (right in front of a traffic light where the lanes go from one to two for turning) when this guy pulled from the line of waiting cars into the right-hand turn lane on the opposite side, accelerated, and whammo -- there was no way for me to avoid the accident.

The right front part of my car is messed up pretty badly. Headlights survived, but right front wheel axle is toast -- the wheel is now severely tilted inwards.

DD was in her Britax Boulevard on the driver's side behind me (so away from the accident impact point); DS' Britax Marathon was unoccupied on passenger's side (both second row). DD and I were totally fine -- although it was quite a big bang (I was going very slowly making the turn but I bet the guy who hit me was doing 20-25 to try to make the light), airbags didn't deploy and nothing on us went "ouch."

So now my question is: replace carseats or no? From Britax/NHTSA policy, the 5 criteria are:

1) The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

2) The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

3) There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

4) The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

5) There is no visible damage to the safety seat.

Our accident fulfills 2 through 5 BUT car is no longer driveable because of damage to wheel/axle. I was able to pull into the parking lot but that's it.

So, should I treat this as a minor accident or a severe accident? Replace carseats or no?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: Accident/car seat replacement question

Yikes, especially with such a brand spanking new vehicle. Hope everyone is feeling relatively alright and unscathed.

I'd say if the car wasn't drivable, then it does not qualify as only a minor crash, and to replace the carseats to be on the safe side and for peace of mind. There's an article I put together over in the safety articles forum about crashed seat replacement that might have some additional insurance pointers for you: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575

Good luck, and hope car repairs and insurance claims go as smoothly as possible.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

I probably wouldn't call a crash minor when it's described as "whammo" and "quite a big bang" - not to mention one that destroyed an axle.

IMO, both seats need to be replaced. Who had the right of way? Was there an accident report? If he was cited, the other guy's insurance should replace both seats. It depends on your insurance company's policies if you were cited. Either way, Britax will replace the BLVD if you send in the accident report (but not the unoccupied MA).

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by crunchierthanthou View Post
    I probably wouldn't call a crash minor when it's described as "whammo" and "quite a big bang" - not to mention one that destroyed an axle.

IMO, both seats need to be replaced. Who had the right of way? Was there an accident report? If he was cited, the other guy's insurance should replace both seats. It depends on your insurance company's policies if you were cited. Either way, Britax will replace the BLVD if you send in the accident report (but not the unoccupied MA).
    I am sorry to her about your accident. Years ago, a friends dad who was a cop, he is now retired told her, after a left hand turn accident, that unless the driver making the left hand turn is turning on a green arrow, they are always at fault. If it was a parking lot accident, were the police even called?
    No advice on the seats. You can sure call Britax to get their expert opinions.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyfamily View Post
    I am sorry to her about your accident. Years ago, a friends dad who was a cop, he is now retired told her, after a left hand turn accident, that unless the driver making the left hand turn is turning on a green arrow, they are always at fault. If it was a parking lot accident, were the police even called?
    No advice on the seats. You can sure call Britax to get their expert opinions.
    right, but if the guy changed lanes over the solid line at an intersection it might not be as clear. besides, I had to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

No, it was legally my fault and I was cited. Oh joy. So my insurance will have to pay.

I will definitely call Britax.

This whole thing just blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
    No, it was legally my fault and I was cited. Oh joy. So my insurance will have to pay.

That is a bummer. I'm glad you were all alright. Your insurance may not pay for the seats if you were at fault.

Carseat Crazy

First off sorry you got in an accident. specially in a new car. doesn't that just bite!!! My car's in the shop due to it's run in with our neighbor who can't watch when he's backing out of driveway. We had just made the 4th payment on it!

Anyway. I'd say that if it didnt meet all 5 of the NHSTA guidelines i'd put a call into Britax for a letter to give the at fault driver's insurance company to have the seats replaced.

Beth

CPS Fanatic

That sucks

CPS Fanatic

That does suck. Especially when the other driver seemed like he was making the mistake. What a bummer. Please let us know what Britax says about replacing the seats.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight