old jeep, lap only belt ??

Murphy's Law

Hi All,
My dh fixed up his old Jeep (I think it qualifies as an antique, but I'm not sure on the year.) The rear seat has lap only belts, which lock with the pull to tighten adjuster on the male end. The problem is that the female end is super long (like 8-10 inches) and buckles right behind my kids' backs. They can totally feel the buckle and couldn't ride that way comfortably. Dh is going to look and see about replacing the belts, but is a BSC an option here instead? I don't have any experience with them.

The kids are now 8 (57 pounds, fits into a harnessed Nautlius for this vehicle)and nearly 6 (about 48 pounds, fitting into a harnessed SK Radian for this vehicle). No top tethers, no shoulder belts, and the seat back is low - no head support there. I believe these harnessed seats are my only option. Correct me if I'm wrong! :) Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, no BSC.

If the belts are older than 20 years (sounds like they are) I'd replace them anyway. Then when you get new belts see if a shoulder belt is an option. If not, provided there's head support, you can eventually have a harness option for post Nautilus. Maybe (EZ-on with installed heavy duty tether). But you need head support. So whatever you do may be a stop gap for only a couple years.

Does your husband have head support and a shoulder belt?

Wendy

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think she's asking about using the BSC on the female end, on the long buckle stalk. This isn't allowed in the Canadian curriculum but I think it is in the US one?

Murphy's Law

I think she's asking about using the BSC on the female end, on the long buckle stalk. This isn't allowed in the Canadian curriculum but I think it is in the US one?

Yes, exactly, this was one of my questions. :)

More info - it's a 1982 with original belts. They do need to be replaced. I didn't realize they were factory belts - thought they had been replaced once before, but they have not. The front seats have been replaced and we do have head support there for us, just not for the children in the back. Dh is going to be getting a new rear seat with a head rest but initially we will have to go with just new lap only belts (something about the shoulder belts needing an additional custom piece on the roll cage to mount to, which we won't have for a while). But I will still need the children harnessed due to a lack of a shoulder belt.

*Also, the female end is more like 22", from bolt to buckle. Much longer than I originally thought.

Murphy's Law

dh was able to pick up a brand new seat belt. Unfortunately this one is even longer. But if the BSC is ok to use, I think we will be able to pull this off safely. I'm not having a whole lot of luck finding info on the BSC. If anyone has a link, let me know. Thanks! :)

MotoMommaNH

I don't have a link, but my instructor said during class that she used a BSC on the female end of a seat belt on a bus that was too long and went into the belt path; she said that was an acceptable usage of it. I'm in the US.

Murphy's Law

Thanks everyone!! We are going to try this. Judi, thanks so much for the pictoral you have out. It's very helpful. I haven't had to do this in 5 years! I had to do some figuring out. :scratcheshead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC