Why does Britax make such cool stuff for other countries???

ADS

YinzerMama

:ROTFLMAO:

There are some very cool seats on the market- both in the US and in other countries.

Oh absolutely we do have some good seats here. But Britax dropped the ball when it comes to RF here. I don't know why they don't offer us things here like they offer people in other countries. Looking to replace my little dude's seat since his Britax expires and I doubt I'll be putting him in another Britax seat, unless he stays so small that buying another classic MA makes sense when the time comes.

I just don't get why they seem to focus so heavily on the FF harness aspect of the market here.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm with you on that one!

I have often drooled over some of the seats made for foreign markets (especially Sweden :eek:). I love the idea of RF until age 5-6 and then going into a booster.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I want the Cowmoo with ears here! Wasn't there a giraffe somewhere too?

kirsty

I'm from the UK and I would love a frontier as seats over 40lb is nearly none existing over here.

YinzerMama

Hmmmmm the ears don't do a whole lot for me but whatever floats your boat. :)

Kirsty I am def. glad we have seats that go past 40 pounds here. That was the standard when my youngest was little and the marathon was at or near the cream of the crop. He was too big for his 40 pound seat by height at 3 years and into a booster in my husband's car. I am very glad we do have taller seats now ... but I think it's gotten a little over the top and I just don't understand why Britax in the US seems to focus on the older kid end of the spectrum and not the younger. I don't really feel the need to harness my 10 year old. I would like to see kicka$$ legroom and weight limits for my youngest kid, though. And anti-rebound bars! I had a galaxy once that had that but Britax otherwise seems to have just pushed the versa tether for their convertible seats here. Cheaper to manufacture I guess since it's already there? But a pain in some cars.

So yeah I a grateful that we have what we do have. :) Just find it odd how Britax focuses on two different ends of the spectrum on two different sides of the pond. Maybe as other companies hit the erf niche and it becomes more mainstream here, they'll bring some new stuff over.

tiggercat

Interesting looking seat. Kind of like a primo viaggo foonfy baby seat.

I'd like a multitech with cow ears/horns, and one of those big honking deep boosters, myself.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

I'm with you on that one!

I have often drooled over some of the seats made for foreign markets (especially Sweden :eek:). I love the idea of RF until age 5-6 and then going into a booster.

Do typical Swedish people really RF to 5 or 6 then booster? What I'd seen is more RF to 4yo then booster.

Only my youngest could have done RF to booster (with the right seats, we didn't get there in a RN, he has outgrown it RF and is not boosterable yet).

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

carseatmama007

I love to browse the Britax seats for other countries. They just look cooler. They have the look of the CCO, Orbit, MaxiCosi seats, or the Foonf, and I love that kind of look! Plus the features are all very cool.
I never liked any of the US seats Britax has to offer. We skipped their infant seat (too expensive for only using it a year), we skipped their convertibles (too short to ERF), we skipped their combination seats (don't need since the Radian will take her well into booster age), and I'll probably have to skip their booster too since they do not make it for kids under 40 lbs. So, completely bypassing Britax here! (though I did briefly have a Marathon my sister gave me for like a week before I got a Radian instead, lol).

YinzerMama

Interesting that that booster is for 33 pounds and up. But the US boosters are 40. Could they have made a marketing decision to have US boosters start at 40 pounds to encourage people to buy the combo seats?

When I was looking at car seats at BRU a few weeks ago the sales girl asked if she could help me and I said I was looking for a new seat because mine was going to expire soon, and she told me that as far as safety goes, Britax is the best. (I had a Graco, a nextfit, and a safety 1st seat down on the ground) I told her she was way off the mark and should never, ever make that statement - politely, but still. She *probably* wishes she had just left me alone.

It's just amazing to me how even after all these years Britax still has this rep as being the best - but they offer so much more and better innovation in other countries.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The seat in the OP doesn't look very tall. How long does that one last (realistically) rear-facing?

Keep in mind that many high-weight rear-facing seats require the use of foot props and/or rear tethers, which aren't allowed to be mandatory in the US.

YinzerMama

The seat in the OP doesn't look very tall. How long does that one last (realistically) rear-facing?

Keep in mind that many high-weight rear-facing seats require the use of foot props and/or rear tethers, which aren't allowed to be mandatory in the US.

Not sure. The height translates to 30+ inches but I don't know if that is overall or what. It is nice that on the US site they have started giving heights of slots which is more useful than weights.

I did not know that foot props or rf tethers can't be mandatory here. What is the reasoning fo that?

gigi

Our Boulevard G3 will last my 90% 2 year old at least until 3.5, probably longer...she is no longer all legs and has a large than average head, but she has currently about 3.5" above her head RF. She is an early June baby. I wouldn't count out a Britax until you try it in car with the kid because it has more room than it seems in my car. For reference she has about 2" above her head in her CCO in our other car.

The Boulevards G3 is a very nice seat, I was pleasantly surprised by it after all the negative buzz it gets here. Now that the Primo Viaggio can tether, I'd look at that one too...more legroom and also very nice.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do typical Swedish people really RF to 5 or 6 then booster? What I'd seen is more RF to 4yo then booster.

Who cares if it is "typical" or not?

I'm guessing that how "typical" it is to RF to age 5 or 6 and then to booster versus how "typical" it is to RF to age 4 and then to booster is probably similar to how "typical" it is to see North Americans RF to age 2 versus age 4. It probably isn't "typical" for Swedish people to RF to age 5 or 6, but that doesn't mean it isn't okay to like the idea of it, just like how it isn't "typical" for North Americans to RF to age 4, but it is okay to like the idea of it.

It seems to me that you questioning if the above idea is "typical" is similar to someone in Europe saying they like the idea of North Americans RF to age 4 and you questioning if that is truly typical because what you've seen more often is people RF to age 2. :shrug-shoulders: Does that mean that just because you haven't seen many people RF to age 4 doesn't mean the person can't like the idea that some people might RF to age 4? Of course not. So the same goes for what I said above. Just because it isn't typical doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I am still entitled to like the idea.

I only know (in real life) two Swedish families and one family rear-faced their youngest to age 3 or 4 in a US seat, then to just under 6 in a Swedish seat. The other family rear-faced their second child to around age 5.5 and the youngest is still RF at age 3.5 (and I'm assuming they are going to keep going).

I don't know if that is "typical" or not. I was just saying I like the idea of that.

jwilliams

I've wondered about this myself. We are planning on relocating to the UK in the next few years, and while my preference is to go car free, I've already checked out the Britax ERF seats that are available. Drool. Their capacity is great, obviously, but I also like their aesthetics, which is not at all true for me with their US seats. The grass is always greener and all that, I guess!

YinzerMama

If ours wasn't going to expire, it's possible my youngest might fit in the classic until 4. One of my daughters would have, but she is a twin and the other was getting near the weight limit at 2 1/2, so I turned them both or it would have been world war III in my car. That's why I am not ruling out replacing it with another britax. I'm gonna wait and see how big he is when it is closer to expiration.

SOME kids will fit a good while in the britax convertibles rf... but it's odd that as they have upped the weight limits for RF they have decreased the height limits, while at the same time other companies are making taller and leggier seats. It's not so much that the American Britax seats won't work at all, but there are other, arguably better choices, and it's odd that it's an area where they don't seem to be doing much to keep an edge here. Meanwhile people will import foreign Britax seats for big bucks to keep kids RF and comfy. Just seems strange to me. Maybe things will change, maybe not.

Last edited:

MommyShannon

I'd love some of their other options. I'm guessing its just not worth the cost for them. Their seats are already very popular using the same shell for all their main convertible seats here which translates to $$$ saved. The norm here is still to rf to 1 or maybe 2. Their seats work for that. I'm sure the added cost of bringing more seats to the market would not be cost effective . After all, they'd probably just be taking business away from themselves except for a small group of us that want to rf longer. Even then, I already own two Britax seats that still fit and might consider getting a taller rf one but that would be in lieu of the Frontier.
Here is my 37", 32lb, 3.5 years old DD2 in the RA55.
I won't be surprised if she outgrows all our convertibles rf on the same day.
1DECD83F-9747-4108-8D68-38DB752ADFF0-4053-00000781C1C4B694.jpg

She has Britax seats with about 2" left above her head, a TFP with 3lbs left (took her 5 months to gain the last 2 lbs), and a CA with 3" overall height left to hit the 40" limit. It's really making me wish there was a seat I really like to keep rf.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC